Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Motoring / Re: Uk registered cars - Alert
« Last post by redslk on November 14, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
For all interested I just googled ‘car hire Fiumicino’ and Rentalcars.com was one of the first to come up. They are a comparison site and I picked ‘Win’ because of cost, reviews and the fact they are based in the terminal. The process was very straight forward and the staff polite and helpful.
I always check and photograph the car before I drive off as I have been caught out a couple of times with other companies.
V.
Thanks V
It was rental cars I got redirected to.
Agree with the routine of photo's on collection.
Andy
« Last post by Venatore on November 14, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »
For all interested I just googled ‘car hire Fiumicino’ and Rentalcars.com was one of the first to come up. They are a comparison site and I picked ‘Win’ because of cost, reviews and the fact they are based in the terminal. The process was very straight forward and the staff polite and helpful.
I always check and photograph the car before I drive off as I have been caught out a couple of times with other companies.
V.
« Last post by redslk on November 14, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
My recent rental for a Renault estate was only £55 for a week including insurance with Win Auto so maybe rental could be a competitive option compared to owning. At least you know the car will always be ready to roll and it solves the problem of how to get from the airport to your house and back.
V.
Hi V
Do you have a link to the hire people, I got redirected when I searched for them.

Ta

Andy
« Last post by Vignaverde on November 14, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
We have some clients who bought a car together with another set of clients, they share all the expenses (one is resident here and one not) and they use it 6 months each (or as near as possible). Remember here the cars are insured not the person so it could be an option for some of you to do this, or buy a banger in the name of a friend here and you use it when you return.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on November 14, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
To me it sounds like an ideal business opportunity for some enterprising person or garage to expand into.
A while back whilst in the local ACI office they had leaflets for car hire and if I recall correctly the rates were much better than your normal airport companies. It might be worthwhile calling into yours and asking if they have such AND if available to none residents. Mind you Venatore is absolutely correct in saying, getting back and forwards to the airport is still a problem, but at least if you are not too far away there are a lot more taxis at the airport now.
« Last post by Venatore on November 14, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
My recent rental for a Renault estate was only £55 for a week including insurance with Win Auto so maybe rental could be a competitive option compared to owning. At least you know the car will always be ready to roll and it solves the problem of how to get from the airport to your house and back.
V.
« Last post by redslk on November 14, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
Thanks for all the responses, seems I am a bit snaffed then, my wife is not a great passenger in a car so driving backwards and forwards not an option.

I have no intention of using a "fudge" me thinks down that route disaster awaits.

I may well research a little further with our car insurers here in the UK as well as maybe contacting the Italian Embassy here in the UK. Any car we would own would be off road when we are not on holiday so shouldn't cause any issues, and of course our contact address being in the UK can hardly be a problem for the authorities as speeding fines  ::) have turned up without issue (only twice in 11 years...)

Andy

As an additional question on a follow up subject. Does anyone know of a car hire company in the area who do good rates for lengthy rentals? Don't mind too much if the cars are not in the best of condition, just reliable is needed.
« Last post by 2Heads on November 13, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
You beat me to it Venatore!! There is no requirement in the UK to have residency -only to have a UK address in order to buy or insure a car.
The Italian rules 'are what they are' but they are a damn nuisance as it means I have to drive backwards and forwards rather than have a small car permanently in Italy.
It would help, of course, if the MOT and revisione were accepted in both countries but with the crazy Brexit on the horizon that will be impossible.  >:(
« Last post by Venatore on November 13, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
I have just bought a new (second hand) car in the UK. When filling out the V5 registration document I was just asked for name and address and the same when getting insurance online. There seems to be no obvious requirements in the UK to establish residency other than supplying a contact address.
I suppose the devil is in the detail as to what difference there may be between resident and Residency.
V.
« Last post by Vignaverde on November 13, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
Sorry I should have been clearer, my understanding is that you would be able to buy a car with a UK address but when you come to insure you may have problems as you have to declare where you are resident and unless things have changed NON UK residents would have problems insuring it. As I say this could have changed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10