Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Plastering
« Last post by Relaxed on Yesterday at 11:54:54 PM »
Plasterboard does not have to be attached to a timber support - in fact in Italy the 'norm' is to attach it to galvanised metal (if plasterboard is being used at all, either as a dividing wall or as a lining wall). That's more to do with the price (and climatic/humidity movements) of a timber support.
The disparaging of plasterboard is one of those almost 'religious' beliefs which divide geographical building assumptions. (Personally I am appalled to see multi million pound properties in North America, or Australia, with metal roofs!)
If plasterboard is used intelligently in Italy, with an appropriate finish plaster, it isn't a heresy.
I'm sure that fifteen years ago I would be hearing the same 'semi-religious' arguments about how concrete blocks were a complete anathema in a country accustomed to using hollow clay blocks - you couldn't buy Ytong, (a very lightweight thermally efficient concrete block) therefore they were the spawn of the devil. Now I see new properties using Ytong beyond even my expectations.
But acceptance of these materials is a slow process, and if you do decide to use plasterboard be aware that finding electrical boxes, or plumbing fittings, which 'work' with plasterboard is another adventure!

« Last post by Venatore on Yesterday at 10:54:01 AM »
VV is right in that plasterboard is not the only way to go. Plasterboard is often used to provide a skimable surface on wooden stud work walls or alternatively a quicker way to provide a skimable surface on solid mortar walls. Traditionally interior mortar walls would be rendered first with hydrated Lime or cement coat first if an external wall or bonded with bonding plaster or lime if an internal wall before being finished with a slim coat of ‘finish’ plaster. This did indeed make for a durable surface with minimal shrinkage or cracking. Some cracking is always possible either way when drying out (more so with plasterboard) but is usually part of the builders snagging commitment after works are completed. It always a playoff between finish, time, cost and disruption.
V.
« Last post by Vignaverde on Yesterday at 09:53:32 AM »
Plastering is always a sticking point when we quote for works, what goes into plastering here is far more than the UK and there are very good reasons for it. I would ask the builder to breakdown what he will be doing so you can understand the price. My father in law, who certainly does not like paying for anything, is an Italian living in the UK and whenever he plasters in the UK he gets the builders to plaster like the Italians as he only wants to do it once. The skim here is after a good layer of long lasting material built up to create (IMO) a finish that should last forever. My experience of seeing DIY plaster board and skim here is a lot of cracks after a short period.

I am no builder but I would suggest you understand what your builder is offering you before you decide to brush him off. You could always ask him to do it UK style and you may find the price drops significantly.
« Last post by iamthedoctor on February 18, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  All the info has been very helpful.  Much appreciated.
General Discussion / Re: Something for your Sindaco
« Last post by GeordieBorn on February 18, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
That seems to be a really good idea.
General Discussion / Something for your Sindaco
« Last post by levissima on February 17, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GyPmORK-aVOD_7yRiaoYgh-isO4WQDCcJs8_Ju6rMpU/mobilebasic

If you are resident, Brits in Italy is asking you to give a copy of this document to your Sindaco. It outlines the Italian government stance on the rights of British Citizens after Brexit, deal or no deal.
« Last post by Lui on February 13, 2019, 07:46:00 AM »
I don't know where you are but I've bought plasterboard from  De Sanctis  builder's merchants in Controfino near Castiglione Messer Raimondo. They always seem to have it in and will deliver, for a price if you can't haul it yourself. PM me for directions if you're interested and don't know where I'm talking about.
« Last post by Relaxed on February 13, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »
You might find plasterboard in a timber merchant (rather than a builders' merchant) because it's a 'sheet material.

But (referring to Venatore's post) the tape and caulk solution works: what doesn't work is trying to use 'normal' Italian plaster on plasterboard. (Trust me!)

There may now be some very fine grained plasters on the market which are compatible with plasterboard, it shouldn't be rocket science, but the regular gypsum which we are familiar with in the UK I have never found.

I'm not knocking plasterboard at all, and it is bizarre that it hasn't caught on in Italy.
« Last post by Venatore on February 12, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »
Cartongesso is the name for plasterboard here. If you don’t plan to skim with a coat of plaster then another option is to use jointing tape and caulk. It’s is less skilled and can produce decent results with
 Patience and there are tutorials on YouTube which will help. Boards with tapered edges will help but nothing beats a good coat of plaster.
Maybe you could fit the boards yourself and get the plasterer in to skim at the end.
Best of luck.
V.
« Last post by Brush Strokes on February 12, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »
It's a number of years since I last bought some plasterboard sheets, but I got mine from the local builders merchants. I recall the likes of Leroy Merlin selling them, but much smaller sheets than the builders merchants and not such good value for money. I also remember most of the sheets for sale at Leroy Merlin had all the corners damaged too.

When I bought mine, the builders merchants didn't have enough in stock, think I needed about 80 or so sheets, so they had to order some more in, but it wasn't a problem. Plasterboard doesn't seem to be as popular here as it is in the UK, not yet anyway.

Good luck
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10