Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Any advice on giving up my residency.
« Last post by Jdalts on Yesterday at 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks Levi, now you mention it, i do remember something about an expiry date, i will dig out my paperwork and check. The main reason for giving it up is the fact that i will be working and paying tax in the UK and living the majority of time there. I dont want to get into trouble with the Italian tax authorities. Just trying to do everything properly.

Thanks for the info
« Last post by levissima on Yesterday at 01:42:39 PM »
Ok my info is to check when your residency expires and not renew it.

I think the only advantage to cancelling your residency is if you are making tax returns, in which case youíd need to notify both the comune and the Agenzia Entrata.

I have to admit, I didnít realise that residency was granted for a fixed term and only realised, after 4 years, that mine had run out. It did send me into a bit of a panic, but a trip to my comune and a chat to the Anagrafa ended with me getting a certificate of permanent residency. I think he was so helpful because itís really his job to notice it had run out and he hadnít.

It might be worth hanging fire until we know what the outcome of Brexit will be.
« Last post by Jdalts on Yesterday at 09:05:17 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I would be interested to know what you can find out Levi. I can find plenty of advice on various forums about gaining residency but nothing about giving it up!!

I do know abot the IMU as we already pay it on my husbands half of the house as he was never a resident.

I do hope it is as easy as just being out of the counrty for 6 months. That would make it easy.
« Last post by PJM on Yesterday at 03:44:04 AM »
Just got my residency last year then saw this "I'm sure I read somewhere that after 6 months out of the country you could be deemed to/lost your residency."I sometimes don't go to my house for 6 months over the winter ! But read the  quote 'You will also incur IMU as your Italian house will be deemed a second house'. So do I not have to pay IMU this year ?as I have my residency?
« Last post by levissima on February 22, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
Iím trying to get some info from someone who has done this and will report back if I find out.

Meanwhile remember, your residency status also affects any bank accounts and the tariff you pay on utilities. You will also incur IMU as your Italian house will be deemed a second house. Nothing is ever simple nowadays!
« Last post by GeordieBorn on February 22, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
I would guess it is a case of getting the timing right for swapping over to paying the house tax. I'm sure I read somewhere that after 6 months out of the country you could be deemed to/lost your residency. I'm sure I also read you did have to tell them you were no longer resident. As many do end up doing this I think it is a well worth subject to be on here...
« Last post by Jdalts on February 22, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply, its five years for selling, i was just worried that they might make me pay some back if i give up my residency. And no, we wont be living in Italy an longer.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on February 22, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
No tax to pay it back if you are not selling, can't recall if it is 2 or 5 years where it does not matter in any case (think 5). I assume you will not be living here?
General Discussion / Any advice on giving up my residency.
« Last post by Jdalts on February 22, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
I need some advice on giving up my residency.

Firstly, is it as simple as just writing a letter to the commune advising them of my change in status?

Secondly, when we bought out house 3 years ago I took advantage of the lower tax rate which came with residency. Does anyone know if there are any tax liabilities that come with giving up? Will i have to pay a percentage of it back? We still have the property but wont be living in it full time any more.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
General Discussion / Re: iam back
« Last post by dolcevita on February 22, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Really pleased to hear you are back with us you have given me some great advice and I had begun to wonder if you had gone back to Blighty!

Hope your recovery continues well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10