Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Shebar
« Last post by Cesare Rinato on Today at 12:30:28 AM »
HI everybody.

This is another update on Shebar, although in truth nothing much has changed. She remains in hospital near Chieti. I have visited recently and it seems to me she remains in much the same condition that she has been in since last April.  Her eyes focus and she responds to her name and the nurses tell me that she lets them know when she is uncomfortable, but that is about it. Her brother have had some success in getting some response to familiar objects and sounds ( family photos and favourite pieces of music.)  She appears to be very well cared for although she has lost some weight because despite regular physiotherapy, her muscles are reducing because of lack of use.

Her borther's have been here for the last week or so and are tidying up her house etc. They mentioned that she has a large number of books there which are unlikely to be used in the future. If anybody wants any of her books which are generally in pretty good condition please let me know and we can arrange for you to look at her library next time one of the brothers are here.
Extreme weather warnings / Re: Snow shovels to the ready!
« Last post by Rustychain on Yesterday at 10:18:37 PM »
We've basically been living inside a cloud for the last 10 days; even during the (rare) moments when it hasn't actually been raining it's been grey / cloudy / foggy & everything's been dripping & sodden. "Lawn" waterlogged. Rivers swollen. More to come. Then of course we're threatened with some properly low temperatures (-13C on Monday night is the latest).

We don't bother with 'stocking up' but might fill a few receptacles with water if it's going to get that cold as the water supply may well not be robust enough for those temps. The current outlook seems to be that we might get 3 icy / snowy days then back to mild / wet.

Batten down the hatches & good luck everyone!
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 05:21:18 PM »
... ticks are all there except your wellies if you are really planning on using that snow shovel. Orders some wood today and the guy laughed and said "neve". He looked a little shocked when I said yes next week. Amazing service, he followed us back from shopping in the truck with our pallet of wood. Okay not the best of wood, but we have found that's been the case the last few years. Hope this forecast is wrong as there is no sunshine showing on there until a week on Saturday ???
« Last post by levissima on Yesterday at 02:42:17 PM »
Iíve got all my rechargeable items charging, I have my snow shovel in easy reach, Iíve brought in a good load of logs for the fire and got a surplus of Diavolina to light it. Stock of candles found and ready. Lots of bottles of water, food and wine, downloaded a few programmes to watch if I loose internet. What have I forgotten?

As Iím so well prepared, itís almost certain I wonít need any of it!
General Discussion / Re: Any advice on giving up my residency.
« Last post by Jdalts on Yesterday at 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks Levi, now you mention it, i do remember something about an expiry date, i will dig out my paperwork and check. The main reason for giving it up is the fact that i will be working and paying tax in the UK and living the majority of time there. I dont want to get into trouble with the Italian tax authorities. Just trying to do everything properly.

Thanks for the info
Recommendations / Re: Internet
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 02:09:15 PM »
Thank you for all your replies re internet. Misco have been very helpful and I was hoping to have it them install the internet in a few weeks time, but I am now concerned as I have just seen this http://www.iteuropa.com/?q=misco-operations-cease-trading-spain-and-italy.

Don't worry PJM, it's a different company Misco did network stuff, you are going with Micso here
« Last post by levissima on Yesterday at 01:42:39 PM »
Ok my info is to check when your residency expires and not renew it.

I think the only advantage to cancelling your residency is if you are making tax returns, in which case youíd need to notify both the comune and the Agenzia Entrata.

I have to admit, I didnít realise that residency was granted for a fixed term and only realised, after 4 years, that mine had run out. It did send me into a bit of a panic, but a trip to my comune and a chat to the Anagrafa ended with me getting a certificate of permanent residency. I think he was so helpful because itís really his job to notice it had run out and he hadnít.

It might be worth hanging fire until we know what the outcome of Brexit will be.
Recommendations / Re: Internet
« Last post by PJM on Yesterday at 11:18:41 AM »
Thank you for all your replies re internet. Misco have been very helpful and I was hoping to have it them install the internet in a few weeks time, but I am now concerned as I have just seen this http://www.iteuropa.com/?q=misco-operations-cease-trading-spain-and-italy.
« Last post by Jdalts on Yesterday at 09:05:17 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I would be interested to know what you can find out Levi. I can find plenty of advice on various forums about gaining residency but nothing about giving it up!!

I do know abot the IMU as we already pay it on my husbands half of the house as he was never a resident.

I do hope it is as easy as just being out of the counrty for 6 months. That would make it easy.
Flights / Re: Ryanairís New Carry-On Bag Policy from 15th Jan 18
« Last post by Red Mistral on Yesterday at 08:34:48 AM »
We too travelled back to Bologna and back from Pescara recently and didn't have any problems I took a large rucksack which I took on board and my wife had a hand luggage case that was put in the hold. we only had to wait for less than 10 mins at Stansted to pick up her bag and that was only because there was no queue at passport control.

Could someone clarify the weight limit of hand luggage is it 10kg or 20kg, its not for me but for a friend who is coming to Vasto in the summer and that will be a question in another thread  :)

Thanks
Hand baggage still 10kgs whether or not itís in the hold, plus the normal size restrictions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10