Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Alpine plants
« Last post by Lui on November 22, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
I planted mine in May this year and in full sun. They are all, except for one variety,  doing fine despite the heat and drought we had this summer. They were however watered every other day. If they're in the shade they'd probably do even better. Just waiting to see how they over-winter but I'm confident that they'll manage here as we had the same in N. Wales previously and the winters there were brutal.
« Last post by the wrong side of the valley on November 21, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
Just a quick update if anyone else was interested in rockery plants. We were in Febo Gardens today and after I'd gone to the trouble of buying a load of sempervivums online they actually had some in for the first time; quite a nice little selection. They're next to the cacti, where I had looked previously but never found them. If you're passing the place it's worth popping in just to look at their display of Christmas trees and decorations; absolutely spectacular!

Will these tolerate direct August heat and sun in Abruzzo?  Or better in the shade?
I bought some cheap in England and am considering bringing a couple out to try there
« Last post by Lui on November 21, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
Just a quick update if anyone else was interested in rockery plants. We were in Febo Gardens today and after I'd gone to the trouble of buying a load of sempervivums online they actually had some in for the first time; quite a nice little selection. They're next to the cacti, where I had looked previously but never found them. If you're passing the place it's worth popping in just to look at their display of Christmas trees and decorations; absolutely spectacular!
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Olive harvest 2017
« Last post by Vignaverde on October 08, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
Some places say good others average. I would say I hear more average than good around the Casoli areas.
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Olive harvest 2017
« Last post by levissima on October 08, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
Iím no longer living in the middle of an olive grove but the locals here say the harvest is looking quite good, despite the heat and drought. Whatís it looking like in your area?
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Damn
« Last post by Relaxed on September 19, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Here's an app which might kill off all the quiz questions about 'what plant is this?'

Sad if it does, but there's progress for you!

http://www.lifegate.it/persone/stile-di-vita/app-per-piante-e-fiori
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Strimmer
« Last post by Venatore on May 30, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
thanks for that Olive, all sorted now
V
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Olive Trees
« Last post by 2Heads on May 30, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Levi is right, things can be different from comune to comune. We cut up the larger pieces as logs for the fire, the smaller pieces as firewood and any straight spindly bits are tied together to make a 'fascio'. These are wonderful for starting the pizza oven off at a good roaring pace.
The bits that are no use e.g. contorted small twigs etc. we burn on bonfires. The advice I was given was to watch for other bonfires going on in the vicinity and light them then - taking great care not to start an unwanted fire! If all else fails they said, light it on a Sunday lunchtime, the Polizia Foristieri will all be at home, but I'm not sure quite how safe that advice is!!
« Last post by levissima on May 30, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Sorry, don't know the answer to this. I think bonfires are banned in the summer months because of the risk of them getting out of hand, with dry grass and foliage. I'd guess that to find out it's best to ask your comune because some of these laws are by-laws and may differ comune to comune.
« Last post by Maz on May 30, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Does the fire ban include using an incinerator?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10