Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Beware Windows 10 update (1803)
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Today at 10:21:07 AM »
Perhaps a move to something like Ubuntu would be in order in these situations. I did this a year or so go on an old Dell PC to test out how it performed. The pc used to take 3-5 minutes to boot up with XP, it now is under 1 minute. I was very impressed at how little effort it took to install (the research on how to mind you took me an age) and more so using the option of leaving the Windows on there, that I not only had that Windows as a boot option still, but that I could see the entire windows OS and all my files when booting into Ubuntu. Have to say Iíve not used the pc that much, but when I have it (Ubuntu) has performed superb. I also installed OpenOffice to replace MS Word and Excel MS Office programs. Again not used too much, but it opened my old MS Office 2013 files without a problem. For me document writing and spreadsheets are all that keep me from dumping a pc in favour of an Android phone and Iím sure they will get around this in the not too distant future.
Extreme weather warnings / Re: May's weather effort
« Last post by Lui on Today at 07:34:28 AM »
Our electrician told us to switch off the entire house at the Enel switch on the meter to protect all the hard wired items like the boiler as well as unplugging everything for the duration of the storm. Don't forget the phone too. As to the weather; after nearly 8 years here we've finally come to the conclusion that there is no normal yearly weather pattern at all and you get what you get when you get it!
« Last post by Relaxed on Today at 12:15:51 AM »
Good advice to unplug everything - washing machines, dishwashers, boilers, just EVERYTHING.

It would be good to be able to unplug wisterias and similar jungly plants - but since that's not an option, never leave your house even just to nip to the shops without carrying a pair of secateurs - you might find you can't hack you way back inside if you aren't equipped!
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 09:57:08 PM »
Be warned how serious these storms can be as an old forum member here lost a ew thousand Euro worth of electrics one year. Unplug the lot if the storm is near you!
« Last post by Rustychain on Yesterday at 08:38:39 PM »
Make the most of the next few days? We've rain or thunderstorms forecast for 4 of the next 5 days!  ???

Had another Biblical downpour this afternoon. PLUS a clap of thunder that sounded like it was in the back garden. It had a 'crack' to it that was sharper-edged than a door slamming. Amazing.

I think that's the thing with being at altitude (500m here); we're sometimes eye-level with the storms.  ???
« Last post by levissima on Yesterday at 05:02:47 PM »
Make the most of the next few days because the forecast is then for thunderstorms well into June!!

Markets and other shops / Re: Builders merchants near Penne/Pescara
« Last post by Grimsby Ranger on Yesterday at 01:09:46 PM »
There's also one on the SS81 on the left heading towards Penne just after the turning for Montebello, can't remember its name.
Markets and other shops / Re: Builders merchants near Penne/Pescara
« Last post by NickJM on Yesterday at 09:59:46 AM »
Thank you for all the replies, it will save me lots of time
General Discussion / Re: Beware Windows 10 update (1803)
« Last post by levissima on Yesterday at 01:26:24 AM »
Ah, the constant urge to improve what is perfectly fine in the first place!

I remember one of my kids with a red raw bum due to nappy rash after using ď new improved biologicalĒ washing powder.

Just think yourself lucky you werenít negotiating the new rail timetables in the uk!!

Hope you get it sorted.
General Discussion / Beware Windows 10 update (1803)
« Last post by Relaxed on May 21, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
Aaarrrggh.
I fell victim to an official Microsoft Windows update yesterday - along with (what seem to be) half of Twitter users.
Apparently, what happened, was that an April update to Win 10 - which for me downloaded and installed fine - was very problematic for a lot of users with particular processors/video cards/solid state HDs.
So, Microsoft issued a 'patch' to resolve these issues, the dreaded 1803 update, which seems to have comprehensively trashed a good number of PCs. It came through automatic updates (which are a complete pest to turn off in many versions of Win 10) and - like most of us - I just let it get on with it. It took an absurd amount of time, so I went to bed and left it to finish overnight.
This morning I restarted, and got into an infinite start-up loop, with no facility to 'restore' to the previous stable version, or to get into anything even in safe mode. Unusually for me, I thought I'd better take it into the shop, where they said - oh, another one. Their take was that Win 10 had tried to reinstall itself, twice, and the only solution was to reinstall from a disc/usb stick onto a reformatted HD.
You haven't got any data on it, by any chance, or any 3rd party programs?
Well, yes - silly me, that's sort of what I thought hard disks were for.
I do actually have the hardware for cloning the HD - but only if I have a working PC - so I said okay, you copy the data off the HD and then fix the PC.
I was impressed by how quickly they turned it around, and I'd only asked them to copy data, neglecting to think about OS embedded stuff like drivers, printer and scanner information and all that necessary stuff. Not to mention passwords, many of which I have on a file (and that file is even in 'the cloud'), and anyway all the Google Chrome saved ones will still be there! Well yes - because they are on an Android device I can access them (sort of manually) - but the PC's lost all that.
Never mind, the PC is networked to the Android device - except of course it isn't (yet). The PC didn't even know about the network, and the PC is the network host....ah, tomorrow will be fun.
It's all a bit parallel universe stuff - an e-mail attachment which I absolutely had to print was genuine high tech fun: the Android smartphone just needs to be close to the printer - none of this driver nonsense, and I have a paper copy is milliseconds. Why did I bother getting the PC mended?
I'm even considering adopting some second hand bit of Apple hardware, just so I have belt, braces and....another grim OS.
Rant over (for today).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10