Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General finance / Re: /
« Last post by Cassius on August 24, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
Markets always react badly to uncertain futures and there is nothing more uncertain than Britain's future now. The EU has a host of issues and problems but Britain's future and the way it is being mishandled is what I believe is referred to as a 'cluster f**k'
Rats leave a sinking ship and so does anyone else who can, hence the flight of banks and other financial services. There are very uncertain times ahead for maybe the next 10 or 20 years and I doubt when we come out at the end Britain will be any better off.
I derive a sad amusement from the fact that it was than statue of Britishness Winston Churchhill himself that started the process of the EU and its forebears convincing other European countries that they had to join together for the greater good.
V.

Apparently a high proportion of Brexiteers are happy for a family member(s) to become unemployed over the next few years because in 20 years or so it will all be worth it.  Strangely most of them wobn't be around to see if they're right.  Conversely there are quite a few Remainers who are also willing to take a personal hit so that they can say 'told you so'.  People are definitely strange.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on August 24, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Better get the moths out of your wallet VV , the rates quoted above are not what you can get, they are a lot lower. This compare link is indicating nearer 1.06 is what you likely will get just now.
« Last post by Venatore on August 24, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
Markets always react badly to uncertain futures and there is nothing more uncertain than Britain's future now. The EU has a host of issues and problems but Britain's future and the way it is being mishandled is what I believe is referred to as a 'cluster f**k'
Rats leave a sinking ship and so does anyone else who can, hence the flight of banks and other financial services. There are very uncertain times ahead for maybe the next 10 or 20 years and I doubt when we come out at the end Britain will be any better off.
I derive a sad amusement from the fact that it was than statue of Britishness Winston Churchhill himself that started the process of the EU and its forebears convincing other European countries that they had to join together for the greater good.
V.
« Last post by Vignaverde on August 24, 2017, 11:37:55 AM »
Or maybe we should be buying pound very soon. Surely (and history shows us) this is just another blip? I think that if the pound goes below or close to even a wise thing would be to buy some sterling.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on August 24, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »
Last "expert" I heard on the radio a few days ago (again, did same last year) reckoned the pound will be on a par OR below the Euro by January 2018. Apparently it is not the pound that is weak, it's the Euro that's strong and it is up against other major currencies as well. Now that makes us all feel a lot happier  ???
When you think about it we are all a bit daft or greedy if we are sitting on savings that get nothing in Italy and almost nothing in the UK. We should have been buying Euro when it was 1.40 to the pound :-\
« Last post by Cesare Rinato on August 24, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
I think when I bought it was nearer 1.6 to the . which seems very strange since the UK government and press keep reminding us that the British economy is fundamentally sound whilst the euro is fatally flawed. You just can't trust international markets to get it right can you?  It's probably fixed by "experts" who are immigrants. After all the Bank of England is run by a foreigner. I am sure that everything will turn around as soon as that nice Dr Fox signs his first trade deal with Somalia or some other country with a market comparable to the E.U. Anyway, once those skilled E.U. negotiators realise that all their detailed preparation have been in vain and that wily Mr Davis has lulled them into a false sense of security by pretending not to understand what he is doing they will just collapse and meet all of that clever Mrs May demands.

Personally I always thought my pension was a bit on the high side so I don't mind losing nearly 40% of it to satisfy somebody else's desire to move the country forward to an imaginary past.
« Last post by Cassius on August 24, 2017, 08:08:57 AM »
When I bought in Italy it was E1.48 to 1.00. 
« Last post by Relaxed on August 23, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
I think you'll find it's 1.09 = 1  (about ten percent lower than the figure you mention).
« Last post by Lui on August 23, 2017, 09:47:19 PM »
1.19 !! Some time pre Brexit it was nearly 1.40. Happy days.
General finance / /
« Last post by Rustychain on August 23, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
I see that the has hit an 8-year low against the . Not great for people bringing money out here from the UK...

It's currently at 1.085; within the last year it's been at 1.1968; practically 10% down.

:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10