Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3
Well done I wish you both ( the book launch and the author) every success.

I'll certainly point anyone I hear of, who's thinking of setting up business, in your direction.
Many of you will know that our very own David Brenner of http://www.villasfor2.com has written a book. We're hosting a book launch and author Q&A for him here in Sulmona (AQ) on Wednesday, July 26th in the afternoon.  If you have a holiday home which you rent out, or would like to rent out, or are looking to offer this as a more constant business activity & source of income then why not come along? 

The event has been published on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/179539769247686/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%223%22%2C%22ref_newsfeed_story_type%22%3A%22regular%22%2C%22feed_story_type%22%3A%22117%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D:

Anyone can read the info - even those without Facebook profiles of their own.

We've also written a book review with a link to buy the book itself on our website:  http://welcometosulmona.com/how-to-set-up-and-run-a-successful-holiday-rental/

It promises to be an interesting and constructive session and will also be a good opportunity to meet up, offer support and swap ideas. You can get in touch with us at info@welcometosulmona.com to book your place.
Running a business in Italy / Re: Freelance English Teachers
« Last post by Tartufa on May 25, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
Sadly your experience with the level of English teaching by Italian teachers isn't that unusual. I do know some excellent teachers but not many. Iggle Piggle posted here recently about an opportunity to study for the CELTA here in Abruzzo.  Do bear in mind that for the better-paid contracts you do need a Partita IVA here..but that's a whole other ball game.
« Last post by Marta on May 25, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
HI, sorry for the confusion. I'm already here in Italy - for the sake of clarification. Thank you for the advice, I'll have to have a look at CELTA and TEFL qualifications and how to get them. I just got totally shocked yesterday when my daughter (14, bilingual) brought a short text their English teacher wrote for one of her friends, for the exam at the end of scuola media. Never mind confusion with capitalization, or the calques. I had to re-write it all anew... It's shocking that people who are not able to put together 10 simple and correct sentences in English actually teach the kids. Shocking and sad. She's been teaching for over 30 years!
« Last post by Tartufa on May 25, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
Marta.  I'm a little confused by your post but here goes. I'm assuming you are still in Ireland?  Or at least not yet in Italy.  If you do move here then you will need to move your tax affairs here too.  (But that's a whole new post and I'm not going to go into that here...) Or maybe that's not what you are asking / stating.  I also work as a translator in tandem with an Italian partner. Translation can be done from anywhere - with any language pair - so long as you don't rely on local contacts.  We do work mainly with local contacts but that's because most of our work comes to us because I am a teacher and locals here think that being a teacher means you can also translate - not at all true.  The general rule is that you only translate into your mother tongue and not vice versa. Local schools don't employ foreign teachers directly as full-time members of staff though. In order to be 'di ruolo' in a school you need to have an appropriate Italian degree, pass the relevant 'concorso' (professional competition) and then enter the 'graduatoria' which is a list of eligible teachers each with their own 'score' according to how well they performed in the concorso and then number of years service etc. That graduatoria can send you to a different job every year far from home until you climb up the ladder.  So you can see that it does not really work for the likes of us.  To teach here you need a TEFL or a CELTA (preferably). Teaching and translating together works well but unless you work online (in both areas) then local contacts are essential and may take time to build up.  Which is why almost everybody starts as an employee in a private language school...  I hope this helps.
« Last post by Marta on May 24, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
Hi, a freelancer yes, but with the tax affairs still in Ireland. I can't decide whether to pursue this career or not - past 8 years I was working as a translator more than a teacher and I enjoy translation way more. On the other hand, my language pair is useless in Italy and it will take me another 5 years at least to master my Italian.... The market for qualified teachers must be good though, considering the level of teaching English at schools. If you don't mind, what qualification works best here? My qualification is in translation and here it's useless for teaching from what I've seen
Running a business in Italy / Re: Opportunity to obtain CELTA
« Last post by iggle piggle on April 03, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
4 week full time course
Cost 1,880.00
« Last post by levissima on April 03, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »
Any idea about the length of the course and the cost?
« Last post by Tartufa on April 03, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
That is good news indeed.  For anyone thinking of becoming an English teacher here, be aware that an online TEFL course may get you a piece of paper but it in no way prepares you to teach.  Do the proper CELTA and you won't regret it.
Running a business in Italy / Opportunity to obtain CELTA
« Last post by iggle piggle on April 03, 2017, 11:44:06 AM »
For anyone who wants to teach English or already does and would like to obtain the CELTA qualification, Athena Docet Language School in Pescara are running the course in September.  It's a good opportunity, especially if you live in reasonable distance of Pescara as you won't have the additional costs of accommodation.  The school is located behind the train station and there is free parking opposite.

For further information, please contact:
Antonella Taraborrelli (MD of the language school)
085 42 14343
ataraborrelli@athenacongressi.it
Pages: [1] 2 3