Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Identification of the Bicycle Pump bird
« Last post by Rustychain on Today at 04:07:28 PM »
Could be bee-eaters; they're around much of the summer & have an unmistakeable song. Rich, warm, chatty. I usually hear them before I see them.

General Discussion / Re: Earthquake
« Last post by Rustychain on Today at 04:05:22 PM »
I was dead to the world; thankfully not literally.  ;D
« Last post by superman on Today at 03:56:04 PM »
Something woke me up in the night, so I wasn't surprised, but it was not strong enough to get me out of bed or wake Lois. 
« Last post by levissima on Today at 01:58:26 PM »
I slept through it too, but its Festa in Montefino and I'd have slept through anything, once I got to sleep,  last night!
General Discussion / Earthquake
« Last post by Lui on Today at 12:12:59 PM »
Well I slept right through it but my other half was up and out of the house. 4.15 this morning it was. 4.3 magnitude, centred on the same Norcia/Amatrice area as earlier quakes. We're in San Giorgio, C.M.R. Anybody else clock it?
General Discussion / Vivino
« Last post by Rustychain on Today at 09:06:03 AM »
I'm not sure how well known this app is, but I was recently introduced to the Vivino wine app & I think a few on here might enjoy it.

It's a free download so you've nothing to lose, but I really like it.

When you open the app, there's a camera icon; you click on that & it opens your phone's camera, you take a photo of the label of your current wine, the app then analyses & finds the wine in question (in a matter of just 3 or 4 seconds; very impressive) then it gives you a composite score based on other users' ratings, typical price paid etc etc. You can then learn more about that wine's style / grape etc. You can give it your own score & add comments ("tastes like an old shoe" or "I think I'd prefer drain cleaner"). It could be very useful if you were perusing the supermarket shelves, for instance (although you'd need to be on wifi / 3G or whatever for that to work). The app has so far identified every wine that I've tried.

I think I've rated just over 20 wines since I got it; most of them "Central Italian Whites" funnily enough.  ;D

I have no connection to the app itself.
General Discussion / Re: lift from airport to Serramonacesca
« Last post by Venatore on July 15, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »
Always good to have a sniper on ones books
V.
« Last post by herbfinder on July 15, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »
This chat reminded me of a similar situation that occurred to us when our daughter and boyfriend were staying with us when the second fall of snow arrived on the Sunday evening before they were due to take a flight from Pescara. There was no way my car could make the journey so I asked people locally if anyone was planning on making the journey for work. Only one person replied our builder who said he would borrow a friend's 4 wheel drive car and take them to Pescara even though he had no reason to go there himself. I felt bad about accepting his offer but I could think of no alternative as both my daughter and boyfriend had to get back for work on Tuesday so he picked them up. Anyway it took him 3 hours to make the journey following a snow plough and another 4 hours to return. When he got back and I meet him he still had a smile and and was talking about the fact that my daughter and her boyfriend had invited him and his family in London should they like to visit.
« Last post by Nakiska12 on July 15, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
Hi there Domini21 we have only just opened up the Forum this morning and read these 'postings' otherwise we would happily have come along and helped out. As an ex cop/Sheriff/Sniper I would have had no problem with an axe wielding murdering car jacker......If you require assistance again, don't hesitate to ask us.
« Last post by Rustychain on July 15, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
Well, I hope that isn't the case, but our new member does seem to be incredibly defensive & the tone of his posts certainly doesn't engender any warmth or desire to help.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10