Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Must see / Re: Your favourite place in Italy...?
« Last post by Mike E on Yesterday at 08:28:51 AM »
Just got back from two weeks at our house in Civitella Casanova and the view down to the sea from the front, up to the mountain at the back and the peace and quiet make it our favourite place. We had a trip to Ravello and Positano while we were there and both are beautiful particularly when the tourists leave in the evening and the views are all unobstructed.(we are not tourists of course)

Last year we went to Capri and once away from Capri town there are lovely walks round the cliff path which is not full of tourists but deliver wonderful views.

San Gimignano and Sienna also great but I agree can get very very busy and Venice is always a favourite but donít go in the summer if you want to see anything. I feel sorry for the residents who must have a difficult time then just to exist.

Pescara I agree is not spectacular but it is improving with some quite stylish bars and cafes but our own little village is for us the perfect antidote to modern life with real people working mainly hard and very welcoming. Not much goes on and Villa  Celiera close by seems to have more Festes than we do as we hear the fireworks at 8.00am announcing the start of festivities quite regularly.

Missing it already.
Must see / Re: Vasto
« Last post by Molino on July 20, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
Hi, I just saw this post on Vasto, it is a shame I did not see it earlier as I would have been able to help your friends. We live in Vasto and own a holiday rental business here. www.abruzzorentals.com  There is loads of info on it about Vasto including some recommended trips and things to see in and around town. Like I say, sorry for the late post, but thought this info might be of help to anyone else thinking of visiting Vasto. cheers
« Last post by levissima on July 20, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Iím glad your friends had a good holiday.
« Last post by nil satis on July 19, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
Just to let you all know, my friends just got back from their holiday in Vasto and all I can say is thank you for all the recommendations. They had the greatest time and will definitely be returning. They did everything I recommended and more including all of your places Southern girl. They loved Vasto, Tremiti islands, Cimitario Inglese , lunch on a Traboccho and they even made it up to my local restaurant in Palombaro.But most of all they loved the non commercial typical touristy style holiday. Maybe this is how Abruzzo should market itself but that would just be like letting daylight in upon magic. So thank you all for your help
« Last post by Venatore on July 19, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »
Sitting on my steps in Pettorano with a coffee watching the sun rise.
V.
« Last post by PJM on July 19, 2018, 09:05:46 PM »
Abruzzo is top of the list. Worked in Pisa and lived in Viareggio some years ago and top of my list in that area is Lucca
« Last post by Cassius on July 19, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
I think the problem with Pisa and Florence is that both of these cities, like Venice, are really victims of their own success - just too many people trying to see the same things...... (that said they are popular favourites because of their beauty).

Slightly off the beaten trail, we really like Bolzano, great architecture, shops and walks. Agree that Assisi is wonderful (if touristy). Locally, we really love Lake Scanno - just the right size to walk around.

« Last post by Rustychain on July 18, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
Some interesting replies there. Thanks to Levi & Brush Strokes for their suggestions... Trieste I was aware of but had never really thought about. I looked into it & it looks absolutely lovely, so thanks for the tip. Likewise Ferrara.

I agree that Campo is magical; I love it at any time of the year but I think late Oct might be my favourite; still nice & warm but with those gorgeous autumn colours. We've walked there for hours at that time of year & seen nothing but sheep & dogs. Plus the odd hare, viper or chamoix!

But Geordie being disappointed by Pisa & Florence?  ??? I know we're all different & like different things but I find that amazing. By chance we had a week in Tuscany just last month & I found both cities to be stunning (again). For us, Tuscany is one wonder after another; we did Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, the MotoGP race!, Lake Trasimeno and Assisi. It was amazing.

Pescara isn't a "great" city but then it was practically flattened during WWII so I think it can be excused.

We've done Ischia (like rometony) & Capri & loved them both but only really saw a snap-shot of each island. The high speed ferry is a great experience by itself!
« Last post by Brush Strokes on July 16, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
Locally, the place I really like is Campo Imperatore and the surrounding area, especially Rocca Calascio. Always great for a walk and/or a hike, always take visitors there.

Further afield, Ferrara is a favourite place of mine. It's a stunning city with so much to see and do and not the crowds like other more famous cities. The music festival at the end of August/beginning of September has to be one of the best festivals I have been to.
« Last post by levissima on July 16, 2018, 12:33:21 AM »
I love Trieste, a beautiful city, on the sea and backed by mountains. It has the most magical castle and the best ice cream in the world. Iím very biased, itís where I have many happy childhood memories.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10