Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Nature. Flora and fauna / Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 08:15:36 PM »
 :D Come on Kev! We think ourselves very lucky if we even spot them, let alone get pictures. There were 2 in our neighbours olives last year which we were amazed to actually see.
Nature. Flora and fauna / Orioles
« Last post by popinjaykev on Yesterday at 08:11:28 PM »
That is so cool.... have you managed to get any photos of them?  If you have that would place you well above most of us Lol .

« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 03:49:37 PM »
Even though I am not in Italy and I am missing the fireflies, I was told yesterday that my friend in the Teramo region had just heard the first Golden Orioles on his property and they are a couple of week s earlier than last year. Over here in the UK the first tracked Cuckoo has arrived back in the New Forest ...this is a week or two later than last year .... Maybe this says more about the weather in respective countries?

Heard a single Oriole about 2 weeks ago and again just today. Oddly it is only calling the first part of the call we are used to hearing and were wondering if it is a single female arriving early? Last two years they have been heard here (also Teramo) on the 23rd and 25th of April respectively, so yes, very early this year for us.
Nature. Flora and fauna / Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by popinjaykev on Yesterday at 01:55:49 PM »
Even though I am not in Italy and I am missing the fireflies, I was told yesterday that my friend in the Teramo region had just heard the first Golden Orioles on his property and they are a couple of week s earlier than last year. Over here in the UK the first tracked Cuckoo has arrived back in the New Forest ...this is a week or two later than last year .... Maybe this says more about the weather in respective countries?
« Last post by GeordieBorn on April 24, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
 :( :( ...still none sighted here...  :( :(
« Last post by Brush Strokes on April 24, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
I don't usually spot fireflies at my house until mid to late May. (I actually always associate seeing them with cantine aperte). However, as everybody else is seeing them, I'm off to the bottom of my olive grove to try and spot them. When they do arrive at our house they seem to prefer the olive grove to other parts of our garden.
« Last post by Relaxed on April 24, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
This thread, (which is very close to its third anniversary), is why I am so pleased that Levi keeps this forum running. Complimenti.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on April 23, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »
We have seen fireflies for the past two evenings...Scerni  :)
Great news! Scerni is saying it is 276m altitude, so not that low. Perhaps we are not looking hard enough ;D
« Last post by Clive Oldfield on April 23, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
We have seen fireflies for the past two evenings...Scerni  :)
« Last post by GeordieBorn on April 22, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
Could it also be the moon phase has an impact, it's very bright on the side of the land we normally see them first?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10