Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: A rustic to make a nono proud!
« Last post by levissima on Today at 12:22:26 PM »
When you find somewhere suitable, make sure you go to the comune and check everything out first. Ie, is it habitable? Is it properly registered? Do the people selling it have the right to do so? Not only will this give you a clear idea of what your buying but also give you a chance to assess how efficient, competent your chosen comune is - some are better than others.

Good luck
« Last post by Berris on Today at 10:18:49 AM »
Hi Venatore!

Thanks so much for this. It warms my heart to know that i'm not howling at the moon. There's so much wild variation in the houses advertised, the prices being asked and the advice being given out. Sometimes i wonder whether my dream might even be possible. But now i feel much reassured to hear that it certainly is. Thanks for the advice about access. Is yours the classic one room warehouse? Or the house overhanging the hill with the animal store underneath? How much land did you get? Any other things you 'wish you'd know at the start' or 'if there was just one thing i'd do differently' to pass on?

Cheers,
b
« Last post by Venatore on Yesterday at 10:00:24 PM »
Hi Berris and welcome to the Forum.

I bought my place about 5 years ago and it almost perfectly fits your description.
It was re modelled in the late 90s and then stood empty for 10 years before I bought it. It Came with a small patch of land with olive and fruit trees, has fantastic views but is near enough good roads so you don’t get trapped when the snow comes. It was just  less than your budget even after we re tiled the roof and put central heating in.
The asking price was just under twice what we paid but the owners lived in America and I doubt they had any intention of returning so we made a cheeky offer. Such properties do come up so let the internet be you friend and search the local immobilare and remember, if you hope to use it regularly, it’s a lot more rewarding if it’s easy to get to.
V.
Hello, I'm ..... / A rustic to make a nono proud!
« Last post by Berris on Yesterday at 08:27:10 PM »
Hi, ciao, thanks for the add. Looking for a rustic/casale/shed with some land in Abruzzo or Molise. Ideally we'd like a shed that was renovated in the 90s, with views, olive trees, and seclusion but not complete isolation. Our budget is 35,000 euros (final price). Any tips or advice gladly taken!

Cheers, berris
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Hoping to Retire (Early) To Abruzzo!
« Last post by Jackie V on December 27, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
I bought a house in Abruzzo 3 years ago and I just love it here. It is beautiful in all weathers and the people are so friendly and kind, I have found. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for here. happy house hunting.
« Last post by McSteve on December 24, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
Hello, Larfalot!

Renting first is certainly the plan. There really isn’t (or won’t be) a rush for us to buy in Italy, and I totally agree about making sure we’ve found the right area before we make a big purchase.

Our timetable right now is to return to Italy next Fall to explore Abruzzo and Umbria, looking at 4-5 different areas/villages. Then (hopefully) we’ll make one final trip in Spring of 2020 to make a final decision, and to find a rental for the first two years or so. After that… Well, we’ll see what happens.

Cheers!
« Last post by Larfalot on December 24, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
Hello,

You sound like you've got it sussed.  Can you rent before you buy to ensure you are in the correct area for you?  I only mention as one member here (possibly more, but I only know of one) found their neighbours didn't want to interact very much.  So can you do a 'try before you buy'?  Try a couple of different scenario's? (Villages/towns/hamlets) first by renting?  Just in case. I look forward to reading about your journey.  Keep us updated.  Happy Xmas.
« Last post by McSteve on December 20, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Hey, Brush! Thanks for the welcome!

If we need some help with painting, or drinking some ale, we’ll give you a shout.

Cheers!
« Last post by Brush Strokes on December 20, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
Hello and welcome,

There are certainly worse places to live than Abruzzo. We love both the mountains and the coast, so living here you have the best of both worlds and that was one of the reasons we chose Abruzzo over other regions. We are also fortunate to be surrounded by wine cantine, in fact we live next door to one and two others are within walking distance and a further two just a couple of minutes in the car. That said I am more of a real ale drinker than a wine drinker.  8)

The very best of luck with your plans especially with the citizenship.
« Last post by levissima on December 19, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum McSteve, looking forward to welcoming you to Abruzzo itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10