Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Nature. Flora and fauna / Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Today at 08:15:36 PM »
 :D Come on Kev! We think ourselves very lucky if we even spot them, let alone get pictures. There were 2 in our neighbours olives last year which we were amazed to actually see.
Nature. Flora and fauna / Orioles
« Last post by popinjaykev on Today at 08:11:28 PM »
That is so cool.... have you managed to get any photos of them?  If you have that would place you well above most of us Lol .

« Last post by GeordieBorn on Today at 03:49:37 PM »
Even though I am not in Italy and I am missing the fireflies, I was told yesterday that my friend in the Teramo region had just heard the first Golden Orioles on his property and they are a couple of week s earlier than last year. Over here in the UK the first tracked Cuckoo has arrived back in the New Forest ...this is a week or two later than last year .... Maybe this says more about the weather in respective countries?

Heard a single Oriole about 2 weeks ago and again just today. Oddly it is only calling the first part of the call we are used to hearing and were wondering if it is a single female arriving early? Last two years they have been heard here (also Teramo) on the 23rd and 25th of April respectively, so yes, very early this year for us.
General Discussion / Re: Marsican Brown Bear
« Last post by popinjaykev on Today at 03:28:48 PM »
Hiya Levi ...yes it is a tragic story and the last numbers I received from Salviamo L'Orso was showing around 60 bears now . They had a relatively good breeding year last year and some of the photos of mothers with 2 cubs this year have been amazing. But  strangely enough, even if you take photos of Marsican bears in the National Parks you are not allowed to use them without the National parks approval.
« Last post by levissima on Today at 03:14:22 PM »
The report I read said they tranquillised the bear in order to fit it with a radio collar and it reacted badly to the anaesthetic and died. There is an ongoing enquiry into the incident and itís tragic that another if such a small population should be lost.
« Last post by popinjaykev on Today at 02:06:37 PM »
It is always interesting to read the medias take on these stories . There is a quote in this article which says

' The other bear, Mario, had wandered into a village at night, and was deemed to pose a risk to its inhabitants.'

Well according to my sources there has been  no record of a Marsican bear ever attacking any human in 500 years of its Isolation.

Part of the Marsican bears endearment is that is behaves differently to the European brown bear, even its diet is 95% vegetarian which is much higher than other bears.

Oh well perhaps any publicity is good publicity?
Nature. Flora and fauna / Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by popinjaykev on Today at 01:55:49 PM »
Even though I am not in Italy and I am missing the fireflies, I was told yesterday that my friend in the Teramo region had just heard the first Golden Orioles on his property and they are a couple of week s earlier than last year. Over here in the UK the first tracked Cuckoo has arrived back in the New Forest ...this is a week or two later than last year .... Maybe this says more about the weather in respective countries?
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 11:09:14 PM »
 :( :( ...still none sighted here...  :( :(
« Last post by Brush Strokes on Yesterday at 10:13:22 PM »
I don't usually spot fireflies at my house until mid to late May. (I actually always associate seeing them with cantine aperte). However, as everybody else is seeing them, I'm off to the bottom of my olive grove to try and spot them. When they do arrive at our house they seem to prefer the olive grove to other parts of our garden.
« Last post by Relaxed on Yesterday at 08:39:22 PM »
This thread, (which is very close to its third anniversary), is why I am so pleased that Levi keeps this forum running. Complimenti.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10