Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Need help with your Italian? / Re: Bit of fun
« Last post by Cesare Rinato on October 11, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »
A bit tricky. I was particularly perplexed by the question "What is the Italian word for Pasta"
Need help with your Italian? / Bit of fun
« Last post by levissima on October 09, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »
Need help with your Italian? / Re: How to improve your language skills
« Last post by Orbito on December 15, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
Great list, Levi!

"Firma qui, qua, ovunque...in sangue " LOL love it, sounds like every trip to the bank for me.

Also had "non possibile" quite a few times with my comune and the Questura, and I've been here less than a year :D
Need help with your Italian? / Re: How to improve your language skills
« Last post by Shebar on December 15, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
Nothing is ever simple here is it? 

However, dealing with local government has to be the worst possible experience.  It seems that the last thing that our local public servants want to do is to actually serve the public...extraordinary.
Need help with your Italian? / How to improve your language skills
« Last post by levissima on December 15, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
Having already mastered the language needed to argue with the Guardian Di Finanza I have embarked on a new and rather steep,learning curve.

In order to appreciate the full nuances of the language you need to be registered as resident in one  Comune but living in another and wanting to get your rubbish collected. Try to ensure that each Comune has its own way of doing things, forms which are unique only to themselves and on no account must they speak to each other.

You will learn the appropriate use of words like

Teremotati
Domicilio
Evacuati
Temporaneo
Modelo numero???
Spazzatura
Compila questo modulo
Firma qui, qua, ovunque...in sangue
tutto sbagliato.
Non possibile
Torna la prossima settimana
Strainiero pazzo!
Va fanculo!

Need help with your Italian? / Re: Help with Post Office
« Last post by Cesare Rinato on August 25, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
They do that just to lull you into a false belief that you can get served in the post office. 
« Last post by Orbito on August 24, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
Thanks all - raccomandata did the trick!

Cesare, I arrived at 8.30am and waltzed straight up to the left hand counter - beginner's luck?  ;D. The lady was lovely, did all the forms for me and didn't grimace at my language mangling!
« Last post by Cesare Rinato on August 24, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
Assuming to are going to the local Post Office, you will probably need to go to the left hand sportello. I thought I could pay some bills and post my referendum vote raccomandata ( yeah I know it didn't need it, but I wanted to be sure.) I queued for 20 minutes and paid the bills but she then sent me to the other sportello where I had to wait again whilst some ( another ) old bloke explained his life story to the women behind the counter. Going to the left hand sportello has another advantage in that the women behind the counter will make an effort to understand what you are talking about and may even smile, if you are very very lucky. Go as close to lunch time closing as you can risk, to avoid queues and never go on the first of the month. They start queuing outside at 7.15
« Last post by levissima on August 24, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »
Make sure they put the right sticker on it, my post office put an " insured" sticker on and it got sent back!

2heads is right,  raccomandata.
« Last post by 2Heads on August 24, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Ask for 'raccomandata'. You will need to fill in paperwork (as with everything in Italy!) which includes a self-addressed card which eventually comes back to you signed by the recipient.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6