Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Power Cut
« Last post by Rustychain on August 14, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »
Hi Natalie. Would you expect there to be cuts this week?

I can't remember when we last had a power cut here, apart from the big one last winter when all hell broke loose.

In my experience they are very infrequent & really not worth worrying about.

:)
General Discussion / Re: Power Cut
« Last post by Natalie on August 14, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply. We are in Tornelli and found the signs with the details of the planned cuts
RRealting to last week. Do you know if there are any planned for today or other days this week?
General Discussion / Re: Returners
« Last post by Vignaverde on August 11, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
What a big shame Orbito, I do wish you all the best if you do end up going back.
I must say in the last year I would say we have switched from our usual 30-50% of buyers wanting to move here to around 80% of buyers intending on moving here. In the last 6 months we have had many clients move here full time for many many reasons. Up to now we have had only 1 person go back and that was after a few weeks!
I often find females take much longer to settle than males for many reasons but often family related (elderly relatives or grandchildren) but on the whole people seem to get over it.

I am sorry to hear you have had no local support Orbito because this is the thing we have had in abundance and many of our clients love the area so much because of the people and their neighbours. It is very un-Italian IMO to be cold towards other people, I feel very sorry that you have ended up in this type of situation. With regards to ignorant officials I have learned over the many years of being here to be hard and forceful when you speak to them, even sometimes being a little arrogant can help, once respect is gained it is usually pretty straight forward. I think that local comunes and utility companies get a great deal of hassle from people and their first thought is to put up a blank faced brick wall to anyone who contacts them !

Picking up on your point (Orbito) about social services, you will find that it does exist here but once again language may not make you feel comfortable with it all. I think anyone changing their life and moving to another country on their own is very brave and I personally would like to wish you all the very best.
« Last post by Cassius on August 09, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
I don't quite get it; 2 of our posters have said how much they miss the ballet & the opera because of living in Abruzzo... they do do those things in Italy you know! ;D

OK, so it might be a bit more of an effort than hopping on the Tube if you've come from London, but make an event of it; go to Rome / Milan / Verona for a night or two & get your fix that way. If these things are important in your life, just make a bit of an effort.

Or am I missing something?

Well - as Orbital said - only one thing of many - but if you are in London you can go to the ROH for about 10 if you book ahead - whereas a trip to Rome/Milan/Verona is just that - a big trip.  I was going to ROH once a fortnight or so. 
« Last post by levissima on August 09, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »
whatever happens, I hope you'll keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

No experience is ever wasted and spending time living in another country will, no doubt, equip you with lots of useful skills for a future employer. 😉 Good luck
« Last post by Orbito on August 09, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »
Thanks Cassius - and to all others who have pm'd me and wished me well. This isn't a decision I'm taking lightly but as someone said earlier, if it's not working, it's not working. Onwards and upwards.

Appreciate your comments Rusty and Herbfinder - yes of course there are cultural events around the place here - in fact I went to a very enjoyable performance of Madama Butterfly here in Castel Frentano two nights ago. Perhaps it would help if my comment was seen, not in isolation, but more feeding into a bigger picture as just one of many things that I miss.

The other clincher is that I'm running short of dosh (unplanned issues beyond my control, some of which have come to a head today and require a quicker move back than I'd anticipated) - so it's time to go back and find a job. Oh joy.

I've never had a 'holiday' like it, it has been amazing living here in many respects. I've learned many things about Abruzzese life and about myself, and I will look back on the experience with much fondness.
« Last post by herbfinder on August 09, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Just to let you know, Chieti has a great theatre called Marrucino where my wife and I saw a great version of Tosca last year. They do a season each year with 3 operas and also ballet and more modern music. Its a super night out which compares very well with a visit to any theatre in London, and we should know we come from London.
« Last post by Rustychain on August 09, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
I don't quite get it; 2 of our posters have said how much they miss the ballet & the opera because of living in Abruzzo... they do do those things in Italy you know! ;D

OK, so it might be a bit more of an effort than hopping on the Tube if you've come from London, but make an event of it; go to Rome / Milan / Verona for a night or two & get your fix that way. If these things are important in your life, just make a bit of an effort.

General Discussion / Re: Plug Sockets
« Last post by Venatore on August 09, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
Compared to the simple earthed 3 pin 13 amp system in the U.K the 2&3 pin of different sizes and the 5,10and 15 amp supplies of the Italian system is just really crude and yet overly complicated rather like it was designed by a committee rather than an engineer.
However quirky the Italian system might be it does better the American system which always struck me as quite flimsy and dangerous.
V.
General Discussion / Re: Plug Sockets
« Last post by Relaxed on August 09, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
I find the moulded two pin plugs, which come with things like computer power supplies, often don't fit very well into my Italian sockets. They need to be forced in, and then they are very difficult to pull out, so I tend to use an adaptor with these plugs to avoid potentially damaging the socket.
I have never had this problem with any variety of three pin plugs into my sockets - just those spindly two pin ones!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10