Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Any advice on giving up my residency.
« Last post by Vignaverde on Yesterday at 06:02:00 PM »
Not sure what you mean Geordieborn. My point was if it was so easy to become resident to save potentially thousands in a  purchase and then give up the residency the day after then everyone would do it. It would be a no brainer way of saving thousands so I am fairly confident the Italian government would have thought of this as a scenario.
I can only post what I know and considering I heard it from the horses mouth I would happily follow their instructions.

JDalts does right to check with the Notary but to be 100 percents urge i old also call your local tax office or sty quiet until the 5 years passes  ;D ;)
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Yesterday at 05:49:07 PM »
There are loads of documents on the AdS site to do with "agevolazione prima casa", but

a) my Italian is nowhere near good enough to read it
b) there is far too much

I would go along with Relaxed post as it has the extra deail regards the CGT, my late finding was "5 years OR for more than half the time you have been resident on a prima casa".
The 12 months I think you will find is to do with  "agevolazione prima casa" which is lost forever if you sell and do not buy within the 12 months.
It would be nice for someone to find the/a "offical" link that provides clarification of the "agevolazione prima casa". I'm not so sure everyone would not buy then give up residency as they must do so within 18 months, it costs money and time to do so and they will then have to pay IMU, TASI and their TARI (if lucky they may get this cheaper). In addition any utilities residence based would have to be changed. That's all without the problems of staying here with a car...
« Last post by Vignaverde on Yesterday at 05:28:21 PM »
Posted too quick!!!! Likewise if you sell (within 5 years)  you must buy another house within a year otherwise same rules apply.
I believe the capital gains tax rules my also depend if you buy another place within 1 year but I would need to check on that. A quick call to the tax office will answer all your questions.
« Last post by Vignaverde on Yesterday at 05:22:59 PM »
If that was the case everyone would buy a house as residents, become resident to satisfy the lower tax then cancel residency! We had information from the agenzia di entrate in Vasto that you would have to pay the difference in what you saved and possible fine (usually applied if you don't admit it) of 30% of the difference between the higher and lower tax rate. If 5 years pass there is nothing to pay.
« Last post by Relaxed on Yesterday at 05:04:59 PM »
On plusvalenza, (CGT)
If you bought (or built) a house, and have been resident in it yourself (or a family member) for 'the major part' of the time you have owned it, you can sell without incurring capital gains tax even before five years are up. This is irrespective of whether you bought it as prima casa or as seconda casa. The determination that you have lived in it can be proved by utilities bills (in other words it doesn't depend on being formally 'resident' on the anagrafe of the comune).
This seems a reliable readable page on plusvalenza. https://www.fiscomania.com/2015/11/plusvalenza-da-cessione-di-immobili-irpef-o-imposta-sostitutiva/#Esonero_da_tassazione_della_plusvalenza

Agevolazione prima casa
So long as you took up residence in a house which you bought as prima casa within 18 months of the date of purchase, you shouldn't be asked to pay the higher rate.

Tax residence (for La Vigna)
The first place the Italian tax office goes to for information is the comune. If you are on their register as a resident then they will expect you to declare your worldwide income (and worldwide assets) to them, and they will expect to tax you on this.
Of course, you can argue that you are out of Italy for 183 days, and it might succeed - but you will have drawn attention to yourself (by virtue of being registered as a resident) and this attention does seem to involve some pretty threatening stuff coming your way from the agenzia delle entrate.

I think it is a pretty poor idea to register as a resident unless you are genuinely full-time resident.

« Last post by La Vigna on Yesterday at 03:33:31 PM »
Am I missing something here? Surely if you are out of the country for 183 days in any one tax year you are legally non resident? Residency papers or not?
« Last post by Vignaverde on Yesterday at 10:37:37 AM »
Geordieborn you cannot buy a house as prima casa and receive a discount in taxes to then give up residency with no penalty in this short time frame. Don't you think everyone would do that?
« Last post by GeordieBorn on February 24, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
Like all these things legal, unless you have it from a government source (even there it could be out of date), then getting proper professional advice is a very good idea.  Think you will find that it is only if you sell that you would be liable for any tax i.e. both CGT and the "agevolazione prima casa" repayment will not not apply if you do not sell or sell after 5 years. Sorry I did not have time to check out on the web the other day regards the period which others are confirming. Looking at it now for me confirms the above. Last search I did was "do i have to pay back imposta di registro" and it came up with a couple of good results. I'm sure variations on this will come up with others and if nothing else gives you more information when talking to the notary. Best of luck!
« Last post by Jdalts on February 24, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply VV.

I am getting some differing advice so i am going to ask the Notary who dealt with the sale. I will report back to the forum when i hear from him.

Thanks all for your help

« Last post by Vignaverde on February 24, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
It's 5 years and 5 years. After 5 years you do not pay any tax on profits if you sell the house. If you give up your residency within 5 years you wold be expected to pay back the difference your purchase tax would have been had you not been resident which would be 7%.

Maybe you should consider letting the 5 years run out before you get rid of your residency.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10