Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Christmas Choral Performance - Bisenti Area
« Last post by randyhos on Today at 11:35:54 AM »
The Coro Misticanto, Coro di Bisenti, and Bisenti Children's Choir will perform holiday music on 16 December in Bisenti(see attached advert).

The adult choruses will perform along with the Castilenti Band on 17 December at 17:00 in the Castilenti Convent and at 20:00 in the "multi-functional" building in Montefino.

Admission is free as always.
General Discussion / Re: BCS £20 promo code
« Last post by rometony on Yesterday at 02:26:35 PM »
Sorry I should have said you need to spend over £75 for the code to be active.
To get free delivery to Italy over £100.
We split the order and it was quite easy.
General Discussion / BCS £20 promo code
« Last post by rometony on Yesterday at 02:04:36 PM »
I have just the following code to obtain £20 off my first order from bcs
BEXPAT17

The code is a promotional one visible on some expat websites, and is valid until 31/12.
I did find some things expensive however but others similar to UK shelf price
Hope some of you find it useful.
General Discussion / Re: a pediatrician in Pescara
« Last post by thalamocortical on Yesterday at 01:36:29 PM »
Thank you for the greetings and advices. Looks like we need to practice Italian, and for the time being carry a dictionary with us.
General Discussion / Re: Gran Sasso Nuclear Threat
« Last post by Venatore on Yesterday at 11:57:19 AM »
Building regs in the UK stipulate for new builds that if you live in a Radon affected area you are obliged to install a Radon barrier and a passive sump if you have a solid slab bearing on the ground or a barrier and air bricks every 2m around the perimeter of a suspended floor. In older buildings you are not obliged to take any action at all.
A perfect barrier works perfectly however it's not uncommon for the barrier to be compromised during the build process with holes being cut for services and general abrasion by builders boots etc so that is why a sump is also specified for stabbed properties as a backup for failed barriers. When the build is complete a Radon test can be commissioned and if the radon levels are still high then the passive sump can be converted into an active sump by the addition of a fan which can enable dramatic reductions.
Building regs are very important but if there is insufficient diligence during the build process then failure results. Unfortunately many new builds fail their first test whether they have suspended or solid floors.
It's costs about £50 to have a Radon test and if you live in a Radon affected  area it is recommended you do so by every national health agency and the WHO. I think it's a relatively small cost and it enables the house holder to make an informed decision about their position and whether they wish to do anything about it.
I would add that in the UK the HSE stipulates that all workplaces  in Radon affected areas must carry out testing and reduce levels to below 400bq.
V
« Last post by Relaxed on Yesterday at 01:45:28 AM »
Venatore has told me a load of really interesting stuff about radon, and how it can enter your house through fissures in a ground slab, and how it can be easily counteracted

I'd just like to point out that (afaik national Italian) buiding regs insist on a ventilated cavity between a habitable  'ground floor' and the real ground. So, while if you have an 'unrestored' and unventilated cantina, (with a fissured floor in contact with 'radon prone' ground), there is a remote possibility that radon gas could enter your first floor living spaces.

Or, if you are using ground floor spaces as habitation, without having complied with the requirement for sub-floor ventilation, then clearly radon gas could become a relevant consideration in those ground floor rooms.

In new build in Italy (I think also in the UK) the norm is for a 'suspended' ground floor, which isolates the habitable ground floor from the underlying geology. BUT, as always, builders want to keep it cheap, and if I was worried about radon gas infiltration I wouldn't be very sanguine about the 'granchio' solution so frequently (and entirely legally) adopted in Italy.

But, overall, I do favour the 'not worry about it' position taken by many posters. You are either going to get hit by a terrorist (like a 1 i n a million chance) or you get slowly poisoned by radon gas. Or you don't.
« Last post by Venatore on December 09, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
Yes, it's usually requested during the conveyance if you are in a Radon affected area.
V.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on December 09, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
It's only ever a problem when it's a problem!
Statistically most are likely to have quite modest Radon levels but someone will always draw the short straw and end up with very high readings. The EPA equate a 800bqm3 reading with a relative risk equivalent to smoking 20 cigarettes a day. If you are middle aged you may rightly consider that an acceptable risk but if you have a young child you may not, as of course their exposure is much longer. In the uk we have measured family homes with levels of 100bqm and family homes of 20,000bqm and from just looking at the house there was no way of telling which was which.
In the UK the Health Protection Agency say about 1500 deaths occur every year as a direct result of Radon exposure, which to some may not seem very much but I bet it seems more significant to those who are struck down.
I have a young family, I am aware of the risks and I chose to test so I could make an informed decision. Abruzzo is not blighted with Radon anymore than say Cornwall or Devon however it does exist and inevitably some homes will have high levels and it's that home's owner who chooses whether they wish to do anything about it.
Radon levels can be addressed and Abruzzo is a spectacular beautiful place.!!!!
V.

Unfortunately we donít even make the middle age bracket any longer! I did wonder why a radon test was included in our UK house survey a few years ago, Iím now guessing this is common?

Flights / Re: Blue Air
« Last post by GeordieBorn on December 09, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
Lui i travelled with cabin baggage and got to airport an hour before flight was due to depart, just went straight to security etc, but allow time to walk to the gates. Fumincino is a huge airport and from parking car to getting to the gate (E) was a good hour walking.
2nd time i checked in baggage but gave extra time to do this as i had my grandchildren with me, but there were delays at passport control due to extra security measures put in place so allow yourselves at least an hour.

I agree there can be much greater delays getting through Fumincino. A small consideration if you have some time to spend there is the difference (unless things have changed recently) in the the standard of terminals 1 and 3 (UK flights). We have always went for a coffee and food to terminal 1 (internal) and then straight up to 3 and through security.
Flights / Re: Blue Air
« Last post by Berti on December 09, 2017, 02:52:32 AM »
Lui i travelled with cabin baggage and got to airport an hour before flight was due to depart, just went straight to security etc, but allow time to walk to the gates. Fumincino is a huge airport and from parking car to getting to the gate (E) was a good hour walking.
2nd time i checked in baggage but gave extra time to do this as i had my grandchildren with me, but there were delays at passport control due to extra security measures put in place so allow yourselves at least an hour.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10