Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Recommendations / Re: Hotels in Pescara - a joke!!
« Last post by Vignaverde on April 21, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
I thought the same for Esplanade, the only 2 good things about the place is the bar at the bottom which always has a buzzing atmosphere and the roof top restaurant which has fantastic views over the sea and both inside and outside dining options. You do pay a little more but it is a very nice restaurant if you want something a little different in terms of surroundings.

The best places here are the smaller family run businesses especially in the countryside. Seaside hotels are not my favourite wherever you go, you either pay ridiculous prices or they are horrible, there does not seem to be an in between. Having said that I have stayed at the Punta D l'est in Francavilla and the Park Alcione in Francavilla and both are good, the Alcione also has a spa which is good. I have seen some publicity for a private run mini hotel in Vasto which looks fantastic but I cannot find the link at the moment, the owner has what look like small seafront bungalows and from memory they looked like a great place to holiday. We need more of this type of thing by the coast.
« Last post by superman on April 21, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Has anybody been into the Esplanade recently, supposedly one on Pescara's best hotels, is to say the least it is shabby, not with shabby prices either.

As with hoteliers in seaside towns in the UK a reliance on the six week summer season in this day and age will not create enough income to refurbish or in some cases do essential maintenance.

I find it frustrating that Abruzzo has so much to offer, and is this is another  example of the Abruzzo negative or resistant attitude to change, 'We have always done it like that so this is the only way to do it'   
We looked at the booking.com listing and it had an 8 but on re visiting so many of the comments were quite old, I have never walked out of a hotel before  that was a first, but the place was filthy and staff didn't care,  so in this instance this individual establishment  is just badly run. 
Our rating is a definite 'don't go'
« Last post by Vignaverde on April 21, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
It is a pain when you are disappointed, especially if you had thought it would be 'special'. I know that booking.com, and tripadvisor, can be useful - but I'd like to share this experience with you.

A friend and I had landed in Tropea, in Calabria, in April. Basically Tropea (a bit like Rimini and other famed seaside resorts) hadn't opened for business that early in the season. So, having driven around a bit, my friend spotted a tourist agency (private, not a comune office) and said why don't we ask them?

Jeez - that was a wonderful idea! They said - well - maybe we can get you in here (my nephew/aunt/whatever) - follow us, here's the parking, and it was the (second most) WOW hotel I'd ever stayed in. The next day (still in Calabria) we'd rolled up in some pretty small town - basically stopped a passer-by asking whether there was accommodation to be had - of course - no hotels listed, but his niece/aunt ran an agriturismo - wonderful!

I just think that trying to mate Abruzzo (hotels) with the internet isn't going to get you to the most pleasurable stays.

I agree with this.

Relaxed what is Tropea like?
« Last post by maritodi on April 21, 2015, 08:30:09 AM »
Relaxed I have similar experiences where I have asked the locals and the magic has happened, but also had the experience of being referred to a cousins dump of a hotel.

An interesting story though, once on the Tuscan coast trying to find a hotel, I was offered a chance to view the room before completing the booking, went downstairs completed the booking, then to the car where my beautiful wife was waiting with the bags. 'Has it got a bathroom?' she asked, I didn't know, I had gone into the room opened the blind to a stunning sea view and had not even looked!  ;D
« Last post by Relaxed on April 21, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
It is a pain when you are disappointed, especially if you had thought it would be 'special'. I know that booking.com, and tripadvisor, can be useful - but I'd like to share this experience with you.

A friend and I had landed in Tropea, in Calabria, in April. Basically Tropea (a bit like Rimini and other famed seaside resorts) hadn't opened for business that early in the season. So, having driven around a bit, my friend spotted a tourist agency (private, not a comune office) and said why don't we ask them?

Jeez - that was a wonderful idea! They said - well - maybe we can get you in here (my nephew/aunt/whatever) - follow us, here's the parking, and it was the (second most) WOW hotel I'd ever stayed in. The next day (still in Calabria) we'd rolled up in some pretty small town - basically stopped a passer-by asking whether there was accommodation to be had - of course - no hotels listed, but his niece/aunt ran an agriturismo - wonderful!

I just think that trying to mate Abruzzo (hotels) with the internet isn't going to get you to the most pleasurable stays.
« Last post by Lois Lane on April 20, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
We stayed at the Salus in Pescara on the seafront about 8 years ago when looking for our house and the remarks made by Lois really strike a chord, however since then it has been overhauled and is very nice.  I agree with looking at sites such as booking.com and Tripadvisor to get a feel for a place before you actually stay there.

Thanks for all the comments - I generally stay at the Salus when I have business meetings in Pescara. You are right, it is quite modern and welcoming. The only thing that put me off was having to keep moving the car to different spots along the sea front as there was no hotel parking available.
« Last post by the wrong side of the valley on April 20, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
When we origianally came to Abruzzo many years ago for a look around we stayed here
http://www.torredelmoro.it/home.html

Can't remember it being bad at all, the owner was very pleasant and accommodating.  The breakfast good, great position and area and has a pool.
« Last post by Cassius on April 20, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »
We stayed at the Salus in Pescara on the seafront about 8 years ago when looking for our house and the remarks made by Lois really strike a chord, however since then it has been overhauled and is very nice.  I agree with looking at sites such as booking.com and Tripadvisor to get a feel for a place before you actually stay there.
« Last post by La Vigna on April 20, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »
If you look at the non Italian reviews they are not that good for the hotel.
Although for 32 for two with breakfast is a pretty good rate.
Great I'll certainly try it sometime.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10