Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Motoring / Re: Can you insure a car which isn't in your name?
« Last post by fluffchops on Yesterday at 02:31:22 PM »
Well..I went to a consulenza of ACI in Lanciano and was met with lots of head shaking, arm raising and left feeling that the best thing to do was to dig a big hole and bury the car! He suggested that I returned today..( I think that this was a diversion tactic as he really didn't know what to do with me rather than to give him time for any useful preparation) especially when I went back this morning and we basically repeated the whole theatrical Greek Tragedy all over again. ultimately, as if plucked from nowhere, he suggested that I could bring my husband in.....not sure why, but as my husband is working away, this wasn't an option either! As a last resort, he said it would be very expensive, but I should go to my local commune and do an Act ( which he couldn't explain what it was, but gave me a reference)  with my Mum and call him if there was a problem....I got the feeling it was a little like the blind leading the blind, so I was just in time to drive to ACI in Casoli.....the first woman hadn't come across it before, but didn't seem too worried...she referred me to another who said, it wasn't a problem at all...I could do it without any family members being there( but it's much more expensive ) or, as my Mum and one sister will be out next week, we can all go in together ( with a copy of the missing sister's ID and sort it out there and then...it will cost about 490e max apparently.....but she seemed very confident, smiley, no head shaking or looking at me as if I was asking for the impossible ...I'll let you know what happens next week.....fingers crossed the car can stay above ground for a while longer!
« Last post by stefanaccio on August 20, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
Not to be argumentative or too-far off topic but there is supporting hard data suggesting the Italian judicial system (at least on the civil side) compared with other developed countries, can accurately be described as "beyond a joke, a national scandal & an embarrassment". 

http://www.oecd.org/eco/growth/Civil%20Justice%20Policy%20Note.pdf

Seven months into the presidency of my country's Mango Mussolini (aka Cheeto Benito, aka Donald Drumpf, etc) I have come to know abbastanza and am quite schooled re jokes, national scandals and embarrassment.
« Last post by fluffchops on August 20, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I've already contacted the insurers and I'll see how far (or not ) I get this week with regard to changing ownership..I'll keep you informed .
« Last post by Vignaverde on August 20, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
I agree with Relaxed (sorry Rustychain), a neighbours son has gone to the UK to work for a year to gain experience of the language, the last conversation I had with him he said "I thought the Italian systems were a nightmare, I have now learned that it is just normal!".
« Last post by Relaxed on August 19, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
Well. I have to take issue with Rustychain. The Italian legal system is not beyond a joke, and it is not a national scandal. It isn't perfect by any means, but just because it differs from 'what I'm used to' doesn't mean it is inherently wrong.

Okay, now to fluffchops query. The question of whether a car enters into the successione is moot: the Italian law does understand that when someone dies, leaving a car, it is more than likely that someone (probably a member of the family) will need to use it. Usually there is six months leeway before a car needs to be re-registered in the name of the heir, and until this time period elapses,  the insurance will remain valid in the name of the deceased. If the car is re-registered in the name of (the sole heir, if a spouse, though I might be wrong on the spouse needing to be the sole heir) then the 'no claims bonus' of the deceased can be passed onto the spousal heir. (This little detail might not worry you, but it is something the insurers (if Italian) will be aware of, and will want to make clear - though I can see that this could be confusing if you don't know about this wrinkle.)

Now the other consideration is whether your father made an Italian will. If he did (and it covers the destination of the car) you should be home and dry. (Even if he didn't make an Italian will, it should be possible to persuade the motorizazzione that it belongs to your mother - but you still have six months from the date of death to demonstrate this.)

So - talk to the insurers, (again, assuming they are Italian), explain the situation, give them a day or so to pass the query 'up the chain', and I'm confident that you have six months 'grace' and can drive during this period. Remember it is the car which is insured in Italy, not the driver, so whether it was owned by your late father, or now owned by your mother, (assuming you are over 25!) you should be covered.

Yes, when you formally notify the motorizazzione of a change of ownership (even because of a death) you are going to have to fork out something like 350 for the passaggio di proprieta - so if you can get it put into your name, (rather than that of your mother), that would be better if you intend to use the car: but the person who becomes the registered owner does have to be an Italian resident.

I'm horrendously up to date on this stuff, believe me.  I think Levi's inconvenient experience is more to do with (completely understandably) not arguing the 'car' case with enough force - well, who would - no criticism of her.

Good luck with this tiny detail of the car, and condolences for having lost your father.
« Last post by Rustychain on August 19, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
An absolute nightmare. The legal system out here is beyond a joke, it's a national scandal & an embarrassment.

:'( :'(
« Last post by Lola on August 19, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
When my husband died last year, I was able to drive the car until the insurance expired, then the problems started. Because we had a daughter ( she was resident in UK, not Italy ) she automatically became part owner of the car under the 'succesione' , (that's the inheritance)  but being non resident she was not able to own a car in Italy. A visit to the 'motorisazzione' to ask about changing the title over to me, left me seething. Not only did they want 770 euros for me but also a further 330 euros for my daughter who couldn't legally own there. I pointed this out to them and was told  'there's a law for that'. So rather than pay the scheming,thieving low-lifes, I managed to get the car insured ,legally, I might add under' a different name ( it's not what you know, it's who you know) and drove it to the UK where it changed back to it's original plates and was sold on to a member of my family. All for 40.
« Last post by Orbito on August 19, 2017, 04:05:42 PM »
So sorry to hear about your dad, Fluffchops - hope you get the car sorted easily x
« Last post by levissima on August 19, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
Condolences for your loss.

I'd advise you to go to your nearest branch of CALC and ask for their help. When Dave died I had to do the full "sussesione" before I could deal with the car, but I was transferring  ownership of the house as well. It might be much simpler if only the car is involved. Best of luck
Motoring / Can you insure a car which isn't in your name?
« Last post by fluffchops on August 19, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
Hi,

My Father died in the UK recently, Leaving his Italian owned/ registered car here in Italy.
i assume my mother 'owns' the car now ( she is resident in the UK). She wants me to use the car, but can I get it insured without having to transfer ownership, if only on a temporary basis?
How do I go about transferring it into my name ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10