Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Motoring / Roadworks A14
« Last post by levissima on June 05, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
Motoring / Re: Just got our first Italian car
« Last post by Orbito on May 28, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Many congrats on the new car! Looking forward to seeing it next week - and a test drive :)

I've been thinking about cars too - I really fancy a Suzuki Jimny - car expert reviews are terrible but user reviews are glowing. Anyone have one? I love my Beetle but it has a very low chassis and I hit everything when I go down rough roads.
« Last post by Relaxed on May 28, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
Don't forget to pay the road tax!

This is usually something that isn't included in a 'key in hand' deal in Italy. Enjoy the Panda.
« Last post by old timer on May 28, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
There is not a lot to explain on a panda. Unless you go for the very obvious. In the US they would even explain  where the brake is in case you have a accident  and Sue them for not teling you it had a  brake.   You should have negotiated a full tank of petrol.
Motoring / Just got our first Italian car
« Last post by rsetzer99 on May 28, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
From an American point of view, buying car here in Italy was pretty painless. The price is the price and they just automatically apply all the discounts (Fiat). The salesperson even steered us toward a less expensive vehicle. We were looking at a 500X but after talking about 4x4 options, he took us in the back to look at a nice Panda 4x4 which we could get for several thousand EU less.

One area that stood out as different than US dealers, is after the final paperwork and taking possession of the car, he basically just turned over the keys, shook our hands and pointed us at the petrol station down the road. In the US they typically spend half a hour going over the car showing you what everything does, and you always get a full tank of gas to start. They also did not ask to see our insurance documents before turning over the keys. (They don't in the US either, but I know Italy is far more strict about having insurance. Been seeing the Carabinieri alot doing spot checks lately.)
Flights / Re: Possible queues when arriving in Italy
« Last post by Mike E on May 11, 2017, 08:00:12 AM »
We have just returned from Pescara airport and the passport control queue in and out was much slower than usual. British passports were not being scrutinised any more carefully than Italian. However, a little more time to get through should be allowed.

Mike E
Flights / Possible queues when arriving in Italy
« Last post by Relaxed on May 10, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »
It probably won't cause anyone serious delays at Pescara airport, but Italy have suspended the Schengen free movement agreement until the end of May. It will almost certainly mean long queues at the northern road frontiers entering Italy, so if you are driving down try to avoid the busiest times.

This is because there is a G7 summit in Taormina, and a big finance ministers meeting in Bari during May, and the Italians want to 'check every passport' of people entering Italy by road, air or sea. (Probably also trains, but I haven't read that.) It's not 'picking on Brits' !
Motoring / Re: A14 closed just before Ancona
« Last post by Tartufa on April 19, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
As usual, every office seems to do it differently and ask a different amount of money. We have a driving school on our road so they did the leg-work for us. We did need to provide an Italian translation of our UK licenses though.
« Last post by Relaxed on April 19, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
It shouldn't take very long (less than a month) to get a UK licence converted to an Italian one. You may well need a 'medical' - which means you tick a lot of boxes and submit to an easy eye test, but your local ACI office will have a tame medic onside one day a fortnight, at least. It'll cost you about 50 for five minutes of the medic's time.
This does depend on whether your UK licence is your first licence: if, perchance, you have 'converted' it before (maybe as an Aussie...) they'll knock you back.
Best advice is to consult your local ACI office, make sure your licence is convertible, and (maybe do this quickly, before Brexit happens). Then - God knows!
I have an Italian licence, converted from a UK licence, so if I'm eventually forced by this mad May person to relocate myself to the UK, I have this ghastly notion that the UK is going to say, haha, that licence has already been 'converted' so 'you'  need to take a UK driving test!!
So, think it through. I promise you it is much easier to blag the  Italian polstrad than the employees of the private company entitled (by the privatisation crazy UK govts) to stress you out. Those folk are hugely rude and unpleasant, the polstrad are sweethearts!
« Last post by thediggers on April 18, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »
I've not read this LINK fully as there are 4 parts and it may be better to do so in the morning... ::) But it may also be of some help to RS and/or amusing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10