Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Must see / Re: Road Trip
« Last post by Hagbean on August 12, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
Or maybe taking in the Piero della Francesca trail whilst in Tuscany - (see also reading John Mortimer's novel Summer's Lease which includes amongst other threads PdF)? 
HB
« Last post by nil satis on August 12, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »
Wow thank you everyone really appreciate your input and ideas it sounds like they are in for a great trip
« Last post by Cassius on August 12, 2016, 08:07:17 AM »
Agree with Ascoli Pincino, and Assisi (but will be very busy), can also recommend Lake Tresimeno - if they have time to stop off here, they can take the ferry to a small island in the lake for a lovely (half) day out.
« Last post by Berti on August 12, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »
Not sure of their route, but can recommend Todi, Spoleto, San gimango,  firenze, lucca
Lots of scenic routes and hills above firenze definitely worth a stay too
« Last post by thediggers on August 11, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
Sounds like a great trip through wonderful countryside at a great time of year.  There are so many places for every taste, I would be pushed to suggest anywhere in particular. If they like a festa, then Greve wine fest is the 8th to 11th of September this year.  But most of all I would suggest they look closely at their journey and try to take in roads that offer a beautiful scenic route.
« Last post by Relaxed on August 11, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
Another couple of places which might be close to a sensible route are Spoleto and Todi. Both have decent car parks, connected to the centre with escalators/lifts.

The cascate delle marmore are fantastic, but they run to a timetable, and you really need to be there when they turn them on. (The water, when it's not doing tourist duty, diverts through a hydro-electric plant, so the best spectacle is when they open a sluice and this waterfall just suddenly appears!)As I remember, it is quite expensive to get close to the falls (certainly at the bottom, it might still be free at the top), so it makes sense to spend some time there (with a picnic).
« Last post by Postmac on August 11, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
Orvieto is lovely IMHO.  As is Assisi  (if somewhat touristy) depending on what route they are taking.
« Last post by Allan Mason on August 11, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »
We've always liked Ascoli Piceno. I don't think it features on many tourist itineraries, so it feels to me more authentically Italian than some places in Tuscany. The Piazza del Popolo in particular is very picturesque.

Ascoli is a fair sized place and there can be quite a bit of traffic, so a visit is easiest if you use the covered car park at 4251'07N 1334'43E. After you walk across a bridge over a scenic stream, there's a lift that takes you up to the level of the town just around the corner from the Duomo.

Montepulciano is lovely, but very much a tourist centre. Like Venice, it's best if you're able to spend a night and go out for a wander after the day-tripper crowds have departed. Same applies to San Gimignano which, of the two, I prefer.

Al
« Last post by Vignaverde on August 11, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »
Ascoli Piceno.
« Last post by Tartufa on August 11, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
Rieti is quite nice - the belly button of Italy  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10