Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Extreme weather warnings / Re: Hot!
« Last post by GeordieBorn on Today at 09:56:50 AM »
Perhaps the services have to change their tact i.e. leave an area because the wind direction changes, someone calls them in elsewhere where lives are at risk, who knows? As to ending the day early, again we donít know the logistics of refuelling, light requirements, tiredness of the crews and/or the need to see what is going to happen with the fire to concentrate what resources they have. The important thing is to ensure no one is injured, after which comes the saving the infrastructure. Canít see the point in arguing over ďItaly v UKĒ as most of us live in one or the other and both change rapidly over months never mind years!
« Last post by Venatore on Today at 09:16:04 AM »
I have no doubt that those on the ground and in the air are working very hard and are extremely dedicated, however I think limited resources are being employed and for not long enough.
I too am very close, with a direct view and with the planes flying directly overhead. It's all busy now but how long will it last? It all seems to go quiet early afternoon.
V.
« Last post by levissima on Today at 09:08:08 AM »
I too have had a bit of experience of emergency services both in the uk and Italy and I think they all do a wonderful job. No emergency service can ever be 100% effective and before making sweeping judgements perhaps we should remember that two young Italians died in Grenfell Tower.
« Last post by Olive Oyl on Today at 08:21:14 AM »
I live quite close to the fire zones - there were 2 big ones on the Morronese and I can vouch for how hard they're working to ensure the fires are put out. As I write, planes are circling overhead to survey before they start doing whatever needs doing. The problem has been the awful gusty winds which just kept fanning up fires which had been extinguished - easily happens when the ground is so perilously tinder dry and still so hot from the enormous fires. We have experinced this on a tiny scale with our own fires which easily get out of control even when the ground is wet and we know how hot the ground stays for ages. it's also much harder to put out fires from above especially when you have to keep going back to Barrea to take on more water during which time the fire has whipped up again. 2 planes can only do so much even with helicopter assistance. The firefighters have been tireless and working all the daylight hours they could, unfortunately during the evening and night the strong winds just undid all their hard work and they had to start afresh the next day which must have been soul destroying.

I have only experienced tireless dedication on the part of emergency services here, whatever the problem, not always the case in the UK and certainly not 100% of the time as Rustychain seems to have found! If it's a real emergency, then all the stops are pulled out no matter where you are. If it's not considered a real emergency, that is more telling and my experience puts Italy ahead of the UK in that case - but it's only MY experience and I'm sure others have their own opinions based on their own experiences.
« Last post by Tartufa on Today at 07:54:29 AM »
Not sure what news you guys are reading and in what language but I can assure you that everyone here in Sulmona is taking the fire on the Morrone very seriously and every resource has been used. It is in no one's interests to do less than is absolutely possible. 
« Last post by Rustychain on Today at 07:35:06 AM »
VV, I'm sure I have less experience than you but either way, respect is earned, not a given. I have very little direct experience of Italian emergency services but what I have seen has been a mixed bag.

We went up to Amatrice a day (2?) after the 'quake last year to see if we could help only to find that the emergency services had swiftly moved in & the whole operation was very impressive. We were also on the scene of a wildfire about 6 years ago (i.e. it was in fields either side of us), saw the local guy stop at the fire & use his mobile to call for help. The local guys were there putting it out within just a couple of minutes; very impressive.

BUT we've recently seen the terrible fire up at Campo where I seem to remember somebody saying it took 4 hours (?) for the emergency services to arrive & now this one where the planes stop fire-fighting before the thing's extinguished, only for the fire to (obviously) take hold again. Those 2 incidents simply just would not happen in the UK or any other Northern Europen country for that matter. So, in my experience, the Italians have been impressive twice & distinctly unimpressive twice. Emergency services need to get it right 100% of the time & in the UK they pretty much do; 50% (of an admittedly very small sample size) is woeful.

Just my observations.
« Last post by Vignaverde on Today at 01:15:20 AM »
« Last post by Vignaverde on Today at 12:11:25 AM »
I really hope they get this under control soon, what a nightmare.
Ruatychain if I thought I lived in a chaotic country I would move. I have had many years experience here experiencing what the emergency services do in times of trouble. They may not get it 100 percent right all the time but in my experience the emergency services are amazing. You may have more experience here than me, I don't know BUT if you do I would have thought you would have more respect.
« Last post by Rustychain on Yesterday at 09:49:31 PM »
Sounds like typical Italian (Southern European?!) chaos!
« Last post by Venatore on Yesterday at 09:05:57 PM »
Fires still burning around Sulmona.
During the mornings a couple of planes take turns drop water on the areas affected but stop before everything is extinguished so fires flare up again every evening.
It seems a peculiar approach to take and surley not very cost effective!
V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10