Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Damn
« Last post by Relaxed on September 19, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Here's an app which might kill off all the quiz questions about 'what plant is this?'

Sad if it does, but there's progress for you!

http://www.lifegate.it/persone/stile-di-vita/app-per-piante-e-fiori
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Strimmer
« Last post by Venatore on May 30, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
thanks for that Olive, all sorted now
V
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Olive Trees
« Last post by 2Heads on May 30, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Levi is right, things can be different from comune to comune. We cut up the larger pieces as logs for the fire, the smaller pieces as firewood and any straight spindly bits are tied together to make a 'fascio'. These are wonderful for starting the pizza oven off at a good roaring pace.
The bits that are no use e.g. contorted small twigs etc. we burn on bonfires. The advice I was given was to watch for other bonfires going on in the vicinity and light them then - taking great care not to start an unwanted fire! If all else fails they said, light it on a Sunday lunchtime, the Polizia Foristieri will all be at home, but I'm not sure quite how safe that advice is!!
« Last post by levissima on May 30, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Sorry, don't know the answer to this. I think bonfires are banned in the summer months because of the risk of them getting out of hand, with dry grass and foliage. I'd guess that to find out it's best to ask your comune because some of these laws are by-laws and may differ comune to comune.
« Last post by Maz on May 30, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Does the fire ban include using an incinerator?
« Last post by levissima on May 30, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
My local farmer prunes his olives then sorts the pruning. The large pieces are stacked to dry for winter firewood, the middling stuff is burned and the little bits get mashed by the tractor and left as a sort of mulch on the land. He usually does it end of Feb/ beginning of March. Be careful lighting fires now, I think they are banned from June through to September.
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Olive Trees
« Last post by Maz on May 30, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm exhausted.  We have just spent three full days moving cutting and burning the branches that fell from our trees during the
terrible snows we had earlier this year.  Of our 150 trees we had about 50 branches that fell from them.  Has anyone else had
the same problem and how did you dispose of the dead wood?  There are still some smaller branches left but they will have to wait
until we have recovered a little.
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Strimmer
« Last post by Olive Oyl on May 29, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
Agri market do good quality ones or else Brico for cheaper ones - depends on what you need to strum and how much of it.
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Strimmer
« Last post by Venatore on May 29, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
Unsurprising but find myself in need of a petrol strimmer in the Sulmona area.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
V.
Will it grow? or How can I kill it? / Re: Cold snap on its way
« Last post by old timer on April 20, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
We are in Edinburgh at the moment and yesterday it was 15C lovely sun. Today it is down to 14C this morning but has cooled down this afternoon. But I am siting in the sun writing this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10