Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Online global weather map
« Last post by Rustychain on Yesterday at 08:58:43 PM »
And that hurricane has now dissipated but it looks like there's something juicy brewing in the mid Atlantic!
General Discussion / Re: Winter prep
« Last post by Venatore on Yesterday at 08:05:08 AM »
Sounds like a more high tech version. Mine has no pump, alarm, bells or whistles but simply moved water around the radiators and water tank via a hot feed pipe and a cooler return pipe with the advantage that whenever the power went off it still kept working. The disadvantages were of course you still had to feed it, clean out the ash and it was seldom still going by morning but as a efficient way of providing hot water and heating for a whole house from an open fire it was pretty magnificent if you had an ample wood supply.
V.
« Last post by La Vigna on Yesterday at 12:04:56 AM »
We have a back boiler on our wood burner. It is very effective at providing underfloor heating downstairs and radiators throughout the house as well as domestic hot water. And it's lovely to sit by the fire too. The downside is that the heating doesn't kick in until the hot watertemperature hits 52 and then we have to be careful it doesn't get too high otherwise an alarm goes off to cool it down. This happens if we get it roaring sometimes. We then run all the heating and even open the hot water taps for a bit to reduce the temperature. Then last winter when we didn't have electricity and therefore the pump didn't work nor the display mechanisms we were mindful to keep the fire low as we knew the water tank would otherwise overheat as it wasn't able to move off anywhere. Also in the morning the fire is usually out so therefore the heating stops running. We do keep wondering if we should add a gas boiler to the system for chilly mornings.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on October 16, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
It's well worth repeating how good it is. Shows a great picture over the UK just now.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on October 16, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
Rusty, do a search for "improving efficiency of an open fire". There are all sorts of systems out there that are far more than just an open fire. From what I gather they basically  control cool air input and heat air in a walled inset and throw it out into rooms. TermoCamino's are common here and I see them as a built in wood burner with a back boiler which can give you all your DHW and heating. Again a search for "TermoCamino" will bring up examples. I look to dig out a sansa boiler, which is basically a fire box connected to a hopper with a archimedes screw system. It is NOT something you would want in your living room. I reckon it would be classed as a very heavy duty output boiler, much sort after by Italians, but costs a lot.
« Last post by Rustychain on October 16, 2017, 07:08:09 PM »
I know I've already replied to this but I'd just like to add that I've passed this gorgeous wind map onto practically everyone that I know & the reception has been universally one of wonder.

Thanks again Sancho!
« Last post by Rustychain on October 16, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
VV; your 'fire' sounds very interesting. Could you put up a web-link to the sort of contraption that you have by any chance?
« Last post by Vignaverde on October 16, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »
the fire we have (other than our pellet stove) looks like a thermo camino, it was a huge sealed unit and we had a surround built so all we can see is the glass door. There are 4 outlets from the unit which allowed us to connect tubes to it and send the tubes to other rooms (dug into the wall). The fan inside blows the warm air (which accumulates in 2 chambers) through the tubes and warms the rooms up. It is a clever thing and suited our lifestyle perfectly. We get to see a big fire and the heat does not just go up the chimney, it easily heats our ground floor which is around 100sqm and one tube was put at the bottom of the stairs and sends heat up.

Do the Sansa units look like stoves? Or are they industrial looking?
« Last post by Venatore on October 16, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Does anyone heee have 'backboilers'?
I had them in couple of properties over the years and they could be fantastic at heating radiators and the whole house to the extent of having to open windows when they were over stoked!
My sister has a pellet boiler in the uk which is located in her garage due to its size and noise generation. It has a huge hopper which is loaded once a year and an automatic auger feeds in pellets when needed, however it does jam occasionally and needs prodding so not exactly trouble free.
Since I am one of those bothered by noise can the Italian pellet stoves be located outside?
V.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on October 16, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »
 There are lots and lots of sites with “experts” who will tell you an open fire is loads less efficient than a wood stove. This is normally quoted as in the range of 10-15% efficiency for an open fire and 70-80% for a wood burner. So I would say an open fire is not quite useless. Also (as I suspect with VVs) and an open fire can be built/adapted to be a lot more efficient, perhaps as high as 50%, but still not enough for me. A lot comes down to personal preference and/or perhaps what’s already in place.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10