Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Recommendations / Re: Internet
« Last post by PJM on August 15, 2018, 02:58:21 AM »
Just an update on the internet sims for my guests and looking into putting a internet connection into the house ..given in had enough . Thought about it and as I am only out for 2/3 months a year so don't want the monthly bill. or the big connection charge .I use my mobile for the internet or a sim for my modem. Just had enough I leave a sim for guest 30g and they use it up so have to get another sim for the next guest. Some guest don't use the internet. Going to try and see what the rents are like next year without the internet. oh until Brexit and will I then have my free data in Europe ?..may re think then ! Interesting three years ago a 30g or maybe 50g sim card I got lasted the whole rental season ,but I now have some guests who must be on the internet lots ..last guests ran out of 30g in 4 days but a couple of teenagers . Anyway Capestrano has free wifi in the piazza and the local bar restaurant  has free internet . It will be interesting to see if no internet stops my bookings ..I don't think will but lets see .
« Last post by pepone on May 31, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
https://www.eolo.it/home.html a new w-Adsl operator in Abruzzo
« Last post by PJM on May 13, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »
I have one sim with 10g a month and costs 17 euros, it's for 12 month and you can miss payments for 2 months . My other sim  costs 11 euros a month and has 30g on it. They have both ran out of credit and cannot be topped up until later this month..so I need to buy another sim  for the guests that arrive next week end. My wonderful house keeper will sort this out tomorrow. Last year I bought a sim that lasted for 12 months, a one off payment for the year but with plenty of data, this deal was no available in April when I was sorting out a new sim. So its the next couple of guests here is a sim with credit and when its gone it's gone. Hopefully I can sort out having the internet at the house this summer !
Thanks for the help.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on May 13, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
On balance I think your "when it's gone it's gone" policy is the right one.
I guess when you say "buy a new sim" you mean top-up? Our current Wind sim is in effect a monthly PAYG (called INTERNET_10_GIGA), it's Ä11/mth for 10Gb, I'm sure you can via the sim text WIND to stop it for a period, then start it again. I never bother with this as at Ä11/mth it's just too much hassle for me for the limited times we go to the UK. I'm sure TIM will have a similar deal, note it's NOT a contract.
BY the way I currently have 10,232 pictures on my PC and in total they are 27.9Gb  :)
« Last post by PJM on May 13, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »
The guests were from Australia so no home data to use. My house keeper is now having to buy another sim for the next guests who arrive on Saturday, I think it's going to be a case of leaving a sim and when it runs out that's it. I think the problem was the guest downloaded 150 photographs to facebook!
« Last post by GeordieBorn on May 12, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »
Iím guessing the purpose of supplying the internet is to attract guests that being the case perhaps doing anything other than you first looked at (unlimited internet) is not going to be any good. I just wonder in this day and age whereby within the EU you can use your home data anywhere for holidays if you need to supply any internet at all. Itís likely a lot of people will look on it as a chance to use your data allowance rather than their own as most UK companies Iíve looked at limit the data use within the EU. If you want to take up Relaxed excellent suggestion to throttle them you may not need to hunt out a 2g dongle. Have a look at the network settings with your current 4g dongle and see if there is an option to set it to 2g only, many have this, but it may not go down as far as 2g. Of course any half techie savvy youngster would simply remove your sim and put it in their own mobile and use the data. Perhaps loading only 10gb and telling them this will limit their access. This link here gives a good idea of what uses what data.
Iíve often wondered where people stand supplying access to their internet to others if they access ďbadĒ stuff on the web and the law get involved. There are other ways to stop access to certain sites, but it would require different hardware to do so.
« Last post by Relaxed on May 12, 2018, 01:13:00 AM »
This is a problem - especially with the speed of data transfer which 4g allows. Guests do not understand that if they are using your wifi it's not the same as 'free roaming'.
An hour of HD video 'costs' about 2 gigs, and if you have a couple of kids streaming 3 hours a day that's 12 gigs (A DAY). So (IMO) it's not a TIM problem, it's a guests misunderstanding.
It's not very easy for a user to turn off HD (nothing at all that you, as their 'proxy' ISP can do about it).
It's particularly difficult because none of the providers (afaik) now do a 'daily rate' (that was wonderful for rental properties - it cut off speedwise at about 500MB a day.)
Try to find your historic 2g capable dongle and leave them with that!

« Last post by PJM on May 12, 2018, 12:10:37 AM »
Many thanks again for all your help , I hope to get the internet sorted but need to be out at the house. Just need your thoughts I rent the house out and use a 4g box dongle thing never been a problem up until now . I have two sims from Tim and keep them topped up every month and my house keeper changes them over for guests . I advertise the house with limited internet just for e mails and say don't download films , music etc ..thats the deal . Having a problem at the moment as I have guests at the house for a month and the data is being eaten up ..so lots of problems . They had a sim with 30g on it and they used it in less than 2 weeks.Before I think bad things about them could it be a problem with Tim or my two year old 4g box . Any ideas , I have messaged the guests and been polite ..I can see on line the credit is going down very fast on the new sim ..how can anyone use so much a day ..4g yesterday.
Pamela 
« Last post by PJM on April 17, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »
Went to see an Italian neighbour and he uses air2bite and I have been in touch with them , at the moment using a dongle but the guests are eating up the credit but having good holidays. Thanks for all your help .
« Last post by Rustychain on April 16, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
Like Lui, we used Bentley Walker for satellite broadband for several years before we could tap into Micso. The BW feed was easily fast enough for streaming HD video & was very reliable. I seem to remember we paid ~ Ä50pm towards the end.

Interestingly, when the Micso guy came out here he initially said that he didn't have line of sight as the hill was in the way, but he pointed the dish at another Micso user's dish & somehow tapped into their feed & it's been 100% reliable for the 8 months (?) since we started with them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10