Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Love cooking? Love eating? / Re: Nice way to use up some of the zucchini glut
« Last post by GeordieBorn on August 07, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
https://www.fattoincasadabenedetta.it/ricette-facili-con-le-zucchine/
Always good to hear of another way to eat (get rid of) them, we have 6 plants, so a lot! A favourite for us is 2-3cm rounds quickly fried in a little olive oil with a good grind of black pepper - 4-5 minutes and you have a great snack :D
Love cooking? Love eating? / Re: Nice way to use up some of the zucchini glut
« Last post by La Vigna on August 07, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
Looks delicious, great ideas? Thanks. I've just thinly sliced some today, salted them to remove some of the liquid, rinsed, patted dry then griddled in a little oil with pepper on both sides, put in serving dish and sprinkled with Parmesan. Yummy
Love cooking? Love eating? / Re: Pigeons...
« Last post by Venatore on July 08, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
I remember hearing a tale of a gentleman who during the blockade of Sarajevo took to fishing for pigeons using stale bread, a fine line and the smallest fish hooks he could find. He would lie in dark doorways and cast into the empty squares.
 Bad as things got there always seemed to be sufficient pigeons to be had.
V.
« Last post by Rustychain on July 08, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts...

Shooting some would be good Geordie, but without a gun or any appropriate shooting skills, unlikely to result in a full larder!

I'll start by asking in the local butcher & see where I get to. Pigeon is one of those things that, if it's on a menu, I almost always go for it.
« Last post by Relaxed on July 05, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
You could ask around and see if there are any local people who raise pigeons in their 'back yard'. A good place to ask would be your local agricultural and animal feed shop.

If you find someone, they'll probably raise chickens and rabbits, maybe guinea fowl (faraona) too. An old lady close to me has quite a little business - she feeds the rabbits in their last days on rosemary clippings, and claims you don't need to season them when you cook them! 

Her produce is eye-wateringly expensive, but tastes amazing. She'll even prepare it oven ready on request.
« Last post by GeordieBorn on July 03, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »
Go out and shoot some?
Love cooking? Love eating? / Pigeons...
« Last post by Rustychain on July 03, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »
Anybody know where I might buy some? For the pot that is, not to race or have as pets!

The big supermarkets always have quail, pheasant, duck etc but I've never seen pigeon anywhere in Italy. I could ask the local butcher to source some I guess but I wonder if anyone knows of a good 'game' butcher.

Many thanks.
Love cooking? Love eating? / Re: Asparagus
« Last post by levissima on April 11, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
Ooh, thanks, Iíll be trying that, although in smaller quantities 🙂
Love cooking? Love eating? / Re: Asparagus
« Last post by Rustychain on April 11, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
Sure thing Levi... Quantities given are for 6.
1.5kg sprue asparagus. 400g dried Penne. 8 large egg yolks. 150g Parmesan. 100g butter. 3 tablespoons thyme leaves.

1) Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus (it doesn't say to throw them away!). Cut off the tips & put to one side. Slice the remainder of the spears at an angle to 2 cm lengths.
2) Bring 2 saucepans of water to the boil & add salt to both. Add Penne to one; it will take about 9 minutes to become al dente. Put the asparagus stalks into the other & after 2 minutes add the tips & blanch together for 4 minutes. Drain well.
3) Lightly beat the egg yolks & season. Add 2 tablespoons of Parmesan.
4) Melt the butter in a small pan & when it starts to foam, add the thyme leaves & almost immediately, the drained asparagus. Season & toss them for a few seconds.
5) Drain the Penne & immediately add the hot asparagus & butter. Stir together then pour in the egg mixture. Toss together a little to coat the pasta then serve with the remaining Parmesan.

Enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10