Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Nature. Flora and fauna / Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by levissima on May 26, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
At last! Seen them tonight in quite large numbers, itís more difficult here, with street lighting, but down a wooded track, itís like fairy land. Lovely!
Nature. Flora and fauna / Fireflies spotted...
« Last post by popinjaykev on May 26, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Ok well I arrived this week and went to a friends house for a meal and was amazed to see so many fireflies.  I thought it would be too late to see them this year. They are such a beautiful sight 
« Last post by levissima on May 26, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
The outside temp has registered just above 30 degrees here today so Iím quite hopeful Iíll spot some fireflies on my nightly dog walk. Havenít  yet spotted any, been too cold and too wet!
« Last post by Brush Strokes on May 25, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
At last!

I've spotted my first firefly of 2018. Just one mind you. As I mentioned before, I always associate seeing them in my area with cantine aperte and that is happening this weekend, so pretty close.  :)
Nature. Flora and fauna / Re: Owls
« Last post by Brush Strokes on May 17, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
I love predictive text, Iíve never seen an owl compost itself😂😂

;D Ha ha  :D    I even checked it in the review before composting, I mean posting .
« Last post by levissima on May 17, 2018, 03:21:43 PM »
I love predictive text, Iíve never seen an owl compost itself😂😂
« Last post by Brush Strokes on May 17, 2018, 02:38:17 PM »
I believe I'm right in saying the Barn Owl is also known as the Screech Owl. The Barn Owl is certainly a thing of beauty.

We have a lot of Little Owls around the house. A couple of years back one flew into our glass balcony door. It was a little stunned, but after 5 or so minutes composted itself and flew off. I did take a couple of photos, which I'll try and find and post.
Nature. Flora and fauna / Owls
« Last post by levissima on May 17, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
At my old house I was used to hearing the calls of Scops owls at night but at ny new place the nights are filled with other noises, thereís a tawny owl, a nitinggale and Iíve finally found out whatís been making  quite a different racket, itís a  barn owl! Iíve often seen barn owls both here and in Uk but I donít think Iíve ever heard one before. Very un owl like noise!
« Last post by Clive Oldfield on May 14, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
Ah, thank you for mentioning nightingales. I have been wondering for a while now what I was listening to at night, and now I know!
We are incredibly lucky in that we have lots and lots of fireflies around now, they are beautiful  :)
« Last post by GeordieBorn on May 14, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
Still not the numbers we have seen other years, but we have had a few dozen per night for a while now..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10