Please register if you want to contribute!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Hoping to Retire (Early) To Abruzzo!
« Last post by Jackie V on December 27, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
I bought a house in Abruzzo 3 years ago and I just love it here. It is beautiful in all weathers and the people are so friendly and kind, I have found. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for here. happy house hunting.
« Last post by McSteve on December 24, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
Hello, Larfalot!

Renting first is certainly the plan. There really isn’t (or won’t be) a rush for us to buy in Italy, and I totally agree about making sure we’ve found the right area before we make a big purchase.

Our timetable right now is to return to Italy next Fall to explore Abruzzo and Umbria, looking at 4-5 different areas/villages. Then (hopefully) we’ll make one final trip in Spring of 2020 to make a final decision, and to find a rental for the first two years or so. After that… Well, we’ll see what happens.

Cheers!
« Last post by Larfalot on December 24, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
Hello,

You sound like you've got it sussed.  Can you rent before you buy to ensure you are in the correct area for you?  I only mention as one member here (possibly more, but I only know of one) found their neighbours didn't want to interact very much.  So can you do a 'try before you buy'?  Try a couple of different scenario's? (Villages/towns/hamlets) first by renting?  Just in case. I look forward to reading about your journey.  Keep us updated.  Happy Xmas.
« Last post by McSteve on December 20, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Hey, Brush! Thanks for the welcome!

If we need some help with painting, or drinking some ale, we’ll give you a shout.

Cheers!
« Last post by Brush Strokes on December 20, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
Hello and welcome,

There are certainly worse places to live than Abruzzo. We love both the mountains and the coast, so living here you have the best of both worlds and that was one of the reasons we chose Abruzzo over other regions. We are also fortunate to be surrounded by wine cantine, in fact we live next door to one and two others are within walking distance and a further two just a couple of minutes in the car. That said I am more of a real ale drinker than a wine drinker.  8)

The very best of luck with your plans especially with the citizenship.
« Last post by levissima on December 19, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum McSteve, looking forward to welcoming you to Abruzzo itself.
Hello, I'm ..... / Hoping to Retire (Early) To Abruzzo!
« Last post by McSteve on December 19, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
Ciao, everyone!

My wife and I live in Austin, Texas, but in the next few years, we’re hoping to retire to lovely Abruzzo! She’s originally from Chicago, and both her grandparents were born in Italy (Sicily and Foggia). We’re trying to get Italy to recognize her as a citizen (via jure sanguinis), but it’s a long process, and we’ve run into some paperwork issues. If that doesn’t happen, we may simply have to apply for the elective residence visa.

Anyhow… This year we spent two weeks in Italy for our 20th anniversary. We were mostly in Venice, Florence, and Cinque Terre. And obviously, we loved it. We’ll be going back in 2019, with the plan of spending time in Umbria, Abruzzo, and Rome.

And in 2020 (or shortly thereafter), we’re planning on making Italy our home. We’ve enrolled in language classes at our local college (my first college course in 25 years or so), and I think we’ve watched every Abruzzo-related YouTube video we could find.

We’re interested in Abruzzo for several reasons. First…it’s full of Italians, so if the people are anything like the ones we met on our trip, we’re going to love it. Second, there’s obviously great food and wine, from the coast to the mountains. It’s a bit less “discovered” than some of the other areas (or so we heard on our travels). And then you have the national parks and natural beauty of the region. (We love to ski/snowboard, so being close to Ovindoli and Roccaraso would be really nice.) Finally, it’s relatively close to both major (Rome) and less major (Pescara) airports, so getting around within Europe and beyond won’t be a massive hassle.

So, that’s our story so far. Hopefully the great group of members here will help us write the next chapter.

Cheers!
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Looking for nanny / baby sitter
« Last post by PJM on September 26, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
I agree La Vigna.  I think looking for a nursery school is good advice.
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Looking for a long term rental
« Last post by barnaby on September 26, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
Thank you all for your replies and useful comments, much appreciated!
Hello, I'm ..... / Re: Looking for nanny / baby sitter
« Last post by La Vigna on September 25, 2018, 08:04:40 PM »
Having spent the last 15 years of my career working with pre school children and undergoing  full training, I would say to take the utmost care in finding a child minder or nanny for your child. Are they experienced, registered, recommended, checked? I'm not sure how this all works in Italy but assume the same rules and regulations apply (EU 😉).  Not only from the childcare point of view but also for the minder. It's a big responsibility caring for a child and if something happens it can have serious consequences all round. Maybe you would be better off looking for a nursery? I had three children myself and would not leave them with anyone who didn't come highly recommended and able. Now I'm a grandparent I can't even imagine how I had the energy to look after one, let alone 3! Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10