Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Advice regarding satellite internet  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
Re: Advice regarding satellite internet
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 07:28:04 AM »
Just a quick update. After being told that we could not use the high speed Wi-Fi, which most others in the area do, bcause of our location and lack of line of sight views, I fell Lucky one day and bumped into a technico from Misco who very kindly came into my House and went to the highest Point and fixed a dish there For me to try on a no obligation trial and it works incredibly well!!! I cant believe it, I am now building up For the day when I ring TI and tell them what to do with their landline !! The cost with Misco is half the price and i will carry on using my Skype contract.

Advice to anyone with a bad signal is to call Misco and see if they will come out, you never know it could just work out  :)

Thanlyou For all your advice re satellite and the helpful phonecalls, I was ready to take out a contract with tooway but just Got Lucky with Misco.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
Just a quick update. After being told that we could not use the high speed Wi-Fi, which most others in the area do, bcause of our location and lack of line of sight views, I fell Lucky one day and bumped into a technico from Misco who very kindly came into my House and went to the highest Point and fixed a dish there For me to try on a no obligation trial and it works incredibly well!!! I cant believe it, I am now building up For the day when I ring TI and tell them what to do with their landline !! The cost with Misco is half the price and i will carry on using my Skype contract.

Advice to anyone with a bad signal is to call Misco and see if they will come out, you never know it could just work out  :)

Thanlyou For all your advice re satellite and the helpful phonecalls, I was ready to take out a contract with tooway but just Got Lucky with Misco.

I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted and I'm not being pedantic but do you mean MICSO? I ask because several people have referred to MISCO, are there two companies? I can't find anything on the web for MISCO and it would be a shame if others can't find information because of a typo.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
I imagine it is this Misco!

http://www.wadsl.it/wadsl/copertura.php

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
Yes it is Micso not Misco sorry about that !!!!!

The link is here http://www.micso.net/
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
The topic has been sitting for a while, but I did not want to start a whole new one just for a quick question.

Planning our move to Casalanguida Jan 2017. I do not think Wadsl will be an option. We are on the south edge of town and the tower is in Atessa. Now from their coverage map, it sure looks like the signal washes up on the north side of the hill leading up to town and no further. The hill and the town are between me and the tower. No towers to the south.

So likely going to go the SkyEU route for Sat internet. We have a totally unobstructed view of the south from our terrraces. Also prob get Skytv as they offer a combination dish which can be used for both.

So, my question. Since the last post in Sept of 2015, has anyone gone the Sat internet route? Wired Adsl does not appear an option as the Tim coverage checker says no joy. Vodaphone coverage checker for adsl say sure, 6M, but I think they are blowing smoke up my butt.

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
We didn't want Sky as we use Filmon and have Linkem wireless as we have no lines from the village to where we are. It mostly works well and is pretty reliable - just gets slow evenings and weekends

thediggers

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
Get a WIND or TIM PAYG sim and see how things go (bring a dongle with you if cheaper there), then if you need better internet access ask around. Vodaphone must be BS as there will be only one copper wire (if there is such) from your house, so same for TIM as Vodaphone, likely = crap!

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
There really would not be much chance of 4g would there. The openskies site suggests some wind 3g around the area. 

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »
TheDiggers' advice is good. The only way you'll know for sure what kind of coverage you have at your house is by trying various providers.

You should also check the signal in various places in the house because concrete and traditional stone walls are very good at blocking radio signals. Our place has metre-thick stone walls inside and out so, while there are good phone signals in a couple rooms, the bars fall away if you move only slightly. There is a strong 3G signal from a mast on the hillside opposite the house, but the only way this would have been practical for internet was if we had used a router.

The walls also affected how we could use WiFi in the house. The signal would go through brick vault ceilings but not through the internal walls, so we ended up using a combination of powerline networking and network cable routed through conduits.

Our experience with Micso was very positive and it appears that they are continuing to expand their network, so it could be that you might find that you have coverage at your house by the time you move. I'd suggest you visit their office in Pescara at some point and ask to speak to a technician. If you could show them exactly where your house is, they'd be able to tell you if there is coverage now or if there might be in future.

When we were using Micso, they had two types of aerial. One was a fairly small wire construction for use in good signal areas, the other an enclosed dish which could connect with more distant masts. We used the latter to link to a base that was some 15 km away and it worked very well.

Finally, I would strongly urge you not to get involved with TelecomItalia or any other traditional internet provider if you can avoid it. We had major problems with the TI landline service and huge hassles with TeleTu. It's very easy to sign up with these firms, but don't assume that disengaging with them will just require a brief phone call. In our case, TeleTu simply refused to terminate the contract even though we sent the correct forms twice via registered post.

Al

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »
Yes, don't completely dismiss the possibility of a cellbased broadband (Vodafone, TIM Mobile, Wind, 3). As mentioned, it's likely to be only 3G, but I occasionally check download speeds if I'm on a cell network and sometimes they are very acceptable (and always much better than you will get from a copper line).

The downside is that none of the cell operators seem to have any affordable plan for exchanging large quantities of data (and this is another aspect to check very carefully with many of the sat services).

Things are changing very quickly in the area of broadband availability, and methods of delivery, and my opinion is that anything which ties you into a one/two year contract with penalties (and the difficulty of cancelling) is best avoided if at all possible.

thediggers

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
I don't think you can underestimate the difficulties of getting out of a contract here in Italy! It should have been Renzi's first job to tackle.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
Thanks, good advice. I will really need to talk to Micso. According to their map they have a tower at Atessa. Straight line to where my house will be perhaps 8KM. Course, in hilly Abruzzo straight lines are pretty relative and their coverage map says now, perhaps a technician takes that as a challenge.  And if I could get a good 3G signal, I could even steam movies now and then. SD video's not that bad. These days its better than what I grew up with on our old tube TV's. Test it out with a paygo sim like suggested and see if it works.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
Something to bear in mind with Micso is that there must an completely unobstructed line-of-sight between the base station and your aerial.

There are Micso masts much closer to us than the one we ended up using. We could make a good connection to them when wandering around outside the house with a laptop and aerial, but using them would have involved stringing network and mains cable across a field for the better part of 100 metres. The problem was that, from the house, the line-of-sight to those masts was blocked by vegetation at some point. WADSL signals are much weaker than mobile phone signals, so a single bush in the wrong place is enough to prevent connection.

In order to make our connection work reliably, I had to prune a branch from an oak tree since the leaves were in the way.

Al

Offline Orbito

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
I'm with Progetto Evo, another alternative - had to go the higher package to get a decent bandwidth - but I'm also in direct line of their satellite thing.