Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Filmon ....  (Read 3131 times)

thediggers

Filmon ....
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
Filmon seems to be the favourite method for ex-pats watching UK tv here in Italy t the moment. We don't have time or the inclination to watch any TV here, but for those that do we should at least have some basic information. From what I've heard, most Italian TV is of low quality, but the quiz shows may be good for learning Italian.... So UK TV watching.. Used to be you could stick up a large (ish) satellite dish and with free sat box pick up a lot of UK channels, that stopped being the case from early on this year due to the UK moving to a tighter beam, supposedly to give the UK better coverage... From what I've read Filmon and/or catch-up with a suitable VPN is the answer, but you do need reasonable internet. Most modern TVs have the facility to plug in anything and watch it via the big screen... VM would suggest you invest in a smart TV for this, not too sure the cost would justify this... You need a licence here in Italy to watch TV of any kind on any device (needs confirmation, but that's my understanding). Unlike the UK, this includes catch-up TV I believe..... You also need a licence for radio, but not the car radio... so I assume neither a portable radio?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Filmon ....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
I watch BBC &ITV on my iPad, using a proxy server. I can also watch other UK channels using filmon. I also have a uk sky box connected to my TV and can watch some sky channels on that but the range of channels available has been shrinking over the years and if I didn't already have it, I wouldn't bother getting it.

As the diggers said if you have a decent Internet connection I believe this is the way to go.

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »
We use youtubeonfire (google it) and most usually get good quality films but unsure how legal it is.  No need for a proxy server either. Some films are better quality than others but worth a try.

Offline The Kid

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:24:41 AM »
Filmon uses a high efficiency streaming method which means anyone capable of downloading at a minimum of 125 kilobytes a second (Thats equal to a 1Mb connection) will be able to stream it without problems.

It is by far the best way to stream live UK TV, and world news feeds (RT, euronews, etc.), and does not require the use of a proxy or vpn!

Also, using an ad blocker in your browser is recommended if you want to skip the ads when first connecting or when switching channels...

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »
I have used "Project free TV" to watch the entire series of "Game of Thrones" "Breaking Bad" and now "House of Cards". Usually it works well but occasional it comes up with a window saying you must sign up for membership and provide a credit card number. When it does that I simply cancel and look for another provider within Project Free TV. There usually is one. I think Project Free TV has been banned in the UK now so maybe it won't be an option for much longer in Italy.

I really should try "Filmon". Can you use it to watch entire series in the way I have above? I also wondered about buying an Apple TV box. Does that give me more options or if I buy it here in Italy does it simply limit me to Italian TV channels, most of which I already have on Sky?
A hairy man who is scant of hair

thediggers

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
I have used "Project free TV" to watch the entire series of "Game of Thrones" "Breaking Bad" and now "House of Cards". Usually it works well but occasional it comes up with a window saying you must sign up for membership and provide a credit card number. When it does that I simply cancel and look for another provider within Project Free TV. There usually is one. I think Project Free TV has been banned in the UK now so maybe it won't be an option for much longer in Italy.

I really should try "Filmon". Can you use it to watch entire series in the way I have above? I also wondered about buying an Apple TV box. Does that give me more options or if I buy it here in Italy does it simply limit me to Italian TV channels, most of which I already have on Sky?

A word of warning, anyone using "Project free TV" better know how to protect their device they are using... Google "Project free TV spyware". The project may be ok, but there service allows others to upload the TV and their control may not be all it should be.
I'll leave the Filmon and Apple to others that use such things...

Offline Cassius

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
Is anyone else suffering really bad service from Filmon at the moment - I've used Speedtest to check my internet speed which seems to be fine, but the service is intermittent at best - it does seem particularly bad during Channel 4 News which may be significant!!  but programmes are, for now virtually unwatchable.  Should I clear my cookies or anything like that?  Any suggestions of how I can improve the service would be gratefully received. 

thediggers

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
Is anyone else suffering really bad service from Filmon at the moment - I've used Speedtest to check my internet speed which seems to be fine, but the service is intermittent at best - it does seem particularly bad during Channel 4 News which may be significant!!  but programmes are, for now virtually unwatchable.  Should I clear my cookies or anything like that?  Any suggestions of how I can improve the service would be gratefully received.

Free or subscription?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
We have been tuning in to filmon for a few weeks now, very impressed but only skipped through channels to see what we have NOT been missing, no problems receiving anything. We get our internet through progetto, no complaints, fast efficient and reasonable (I think allthough we havnt had a bill yet???)

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »

chanal four can be bad  at times   . and please  dont  consider  paying a sub  for hd    you wikll need a much stronger signal 

and i have  rung and spoke to  film on they are verry helpfull  , and it was them tghat told me  not to pay a sub

and if you ring them they will explane better than  i , and allso tell you when the  problem is there fult ,

i could not  belive how helpful tghey were   , by the way  i rung the english npo on the web site

Offline Cassius

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
I have free Filmon and it has been fine until the last couple of weeks, and my internet speed is pretty good.   I don't need HD as really we use the service to watch the news when we need a change of point of view from BBC World. 

Linsead - thanks for the tip - I'll give them a call.  I wonder why a particular channel is worse than another.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
I'm happy admit to being completely ignorant when it comes to technology, so correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps these difficulties are associated with my previous posting??....

http://abruzzolutely.com/forum/index.php?topic=178.msg1348#new

I struggled to watch the Man U v QPR game today - though eventually found a fairly decent feed.

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
I've had really bad Filmon connection recently especially in the evenings and this weekend.

Cassius - did you get any help from ringing Filmon? I'm getting really frustrated especially as I really only want the main UK channels anyway!

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
I've had really bad Filmon connection recently especially in the evenings and this weekend.

Cassius - did you get any help from ringing Filmon? I'm getting really frustrated especially as I really only want the main UK channels anyway!

we are having no probs at  all at the moment   its just like watching at home  , but somtimes it freezese   chanel four can be a prob some times  . but ring them any way they will at least  tell you whats hapening   .

iam not a tecno  but we have broadband though  italcom and  its mostly fine  touch wood . downton abby tonight

Offline Cassius

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »

I didn't ring them in the end as the problem seemed to sort itself out.