Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Mozzi alert  (Read 3923 times)

Offline linsead oil

Re: Mozzi alert
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
I tend to go for Cristoforo's solution (drink much wine) and there is, apparently, some science behind this - at least in Scotland where beer drinkers (apparently) get bitten a lot more than whisky drinkers.

The reasoning has something to do with sugar in your sweat, as I recall. Personally, I think a constant state of drunkenness simply means one fails to notice that one has been bitten, and even if this fate befalls one, it is simply too much effort to bring the fingernail to the itch, so it has all gone away by the time one sobers up. (If  this terminally undesirable (and easily avoidable) condition happens to befall one.)

Of course, one is speaking on behalf of 'a friend'   8)
there is quite a bit  of reserch gone  into this  post   thankyou lax for  your devotion ti duty  , its just unfortunate iam o the wagon at  the moment and  cant  back you up  A3 ;) :)

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
[quote author=linsead oil

there is quite a bit  of reserch gone  into this  post   thankyou lax for  your devotion ti duty  , its just unfortunate iam o the wagon at  the moment and  cant  back you up  A3 ;) :)

Well, if you ever needed a better reason to Get Well Soon!....bloody hell....off the pop?

I do hope you'll fast be back in the land of the drinking (maybe it would be a good idea to keep exercising the elbow with 'cups of tea',(just in case it seizes up because of under-use)?   ;)

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »
I was out with friends yesterday having a cream tea on a terrace, lovely and warm here in the UK with wasps all around when my friend got out her mobile and activated an app called mosquito away and I kid you not, the wasps kept clear! To some sceptics in our group, she turned it off for a few minutes and the wasps moved in then on it went and away went the wasps. Worked well outside last night while having a barbecue too. I have just downloaded it myself (free) and will be interested if it will actually work in Italy in keeping the mozzies at bay.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 07:42:23 PM »
Downloaded it to, will be interesting to see results, Google results aren't favourable but will try anything, dog doesn't like it....

Offline Shebar

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
You could try mosquito milk - available here...

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/healthcare/healthy-lifestyle/travel-health/bite-and-sting-relief/cat-8hj

....it's the best one that I've found so far.

Post bite treatment - keep a small roll-on dispenser loaded with household ammonia in your pocket.  Apply immediately to the bite, and keep applying every time it irritates (probably 40-60 mins). 

If you decide to use chemistdirect, I suggest you circulate your friends and make up a decent-sized parcel of their relatively cheap (and familiar) pharmacy products, splitting the delivery costs makes it well worthwhile.

Do let us know if your app makes a difference!

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Took my dad and daughter to a national trust property today and sat outside having a cream tea where a plague of wasps descended. I proudly took out my phone with the newly installed app to deter them. My daughter fell about laughing as they not only remained at our table but even settled down on the phone! My poor dad even got stung. Back to the drawing board, maybe I didn't have it on correctly....... :(

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »
or may be the wasps could not read  on the publicity  for the app , what they were  suposed to do   :D no serius   if  i could  get  somting like that  it would  be good    but i dont  think it exists

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
Tried the app yesterday and it seemed to attract the mozzies, we were swarmed with them and they even rested on my iPad. Ah well.

Offline maritodi

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
I think you are meant to download the app and then swat them with the phone  ;D

Offline Shebar

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
There seems to be a lot less of the little b@stards so far this year... am I wrong?

thediggers

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »
There seems to be a lot less of the little b@stards so far this year... am I wrong?

Yes you are always wrong... and The Guardian has that very crap on page 3....  :)

Only joking Shebar, I think you are very right, but not too sure it's just eatly days or that the Comuni has spryed it's stuff all over us to stop the zica spread... However that bloody blandford fly (black fly) is just as bad this year and lasting way beyond it's sell by date (early - mid June).

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »
Thermacell. It works brilliantly to kill off skitos unless there is wind. Lots of deer hunters in Wisconsin and they use this little sucker out in the north woods.