Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: VPN  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Christoforo

VPN
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
I'm using Hola VPN software on my iPad to 'fool' iPlayer etc into thinking I'm in the UK.

It worked ok for a while but now seems to trash my speed .. i.e. normal internet is fine, switch Hola VPN on and ev..er...y...thi...ng s....l....o...w..s .do....w...n ... which I'd expect to some extent but not like this!

Any recommended alternatives?

Offline piglet47

Re: VPN
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »
We use Strong VPN and have recommended it to everyone, it is about 55 dollars a year and well worth it.  It has its own website and 24 hour helpline and they are really supportive if there is a problem.

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
We don't use any, but know a few people that do and I've recently read up on it a lot for them... Hola was very good and it may just be they have a server or two down at the moment, so it may be a temporary. It is likely in any case good to have a back up or two. From what I've read recently the BBC are supposedly blocking some of the well know VPN sites and I've not tried access. However OpenVPN is web based and free, privatetunnel looks a good PAYG option, there are more here in this PCadvisor LINK.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
I use iportal (www.iportal.me) with 99% success. Occasionally I have a snag and look at what speed it is giving me, in comparison with the speed without using the vpn (using www.speedtest.net), and it is generally the same, and often the vpn gives me a significantly better upload speed for some reason. It costs 5 a month, or 50 a year for a UK server, (the same if you want a US one). I set up some other proxy (can't recall the name!) for someone the other day, and that offered an enormous choice of 'virtual' locations.

That's not all the story though - it's all  bit beyond me, but (clearly) getting onto your vpn does involve your Italian ISP server, and some server settings (I am told) are not good for linking to a geographically distant server (where the vpn wants you to be). The ping (latency) also has an influence.

In addition, some of the Vodafone server networks won't play ball with some vpn's (certainly including iportal) for more than a few minutes: it depends on your contract and your SIM whether using one of the 'good' Vod networks is affordable, or even available.

Offline SuperRam

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »
Try VPN One Click from the Apps Store. Only 6.99 a year. Have used it for the past two years or so without problem. Easy to use and, strange as it sounds, it actually seems to give me slightly better speed whilst in Italy compared to my poor ADSL connection.