Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Forum use  (Read 2990 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Forum use
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:16 AM »
Firstly, my apologies for loosing my temper in the "Vegan" thread and thanks to everyone who has posted excellent advice and information.

Please can I ask everyone, in future, when you post an opinion, which is fine, we are all entitled to our opinions, don't include disparaging remarks aimed at anyone who doesn't share it. It's just not necessary.

It's also not necessary to preempt disagreement by commenting on what you expect from other members posts.

99.9% of posts are useful, informative and supportive but it's the 00.1% that give the forum a bad reputation and limit its usefulness. It's like the one bad review amongst many good reviews on Trapadvisor, it unfairly colours people's opinion.

Finally, and I know I'm the culprit in this case, please try not to rise to the bait laid by others to cause disruption.

Offline 2Heads

Re: Forum use
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
Levi, there's no need to apologise, you do so much work keeping this forum going that no-one could possibly deny you the right to express your frustration at the preemptive strikes by posters who think they will be disagreed with. I've had a quick look back at one or two threads which became 'issues' and am surprised at how often it has been 'caused' by that sort of thing before anyone had got uppity.
Even when posts go a bit off target they still often supply good information - such as Cassius response to mine where I thought I had worked out vegetarian/vegan reasoning, suggested I might have got it wrong and he immediately was able to show me situations I hadn't covered.
Even with 2Heads we all go on learning all the time and you should be thanked effusively for helping us to do so.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »
And apologies from me if I offended.

Vegetarianism/Veganism is a subject that brings strong responses and engenders strong feelings and sometimes one gets carried away.  I tried to play nice but if I didn't I apologise.

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Nah, Levi is just a grumpy old git, but 2Heads are right in saying it is a very difficult position to be in!  However this forum is what it is because of the varied personalities, unlike some other crap forum, cynically started on the back of this one, which thankfully ended up like many others – stuffed by their own incestuous attitudes. This post was required (I didn’t have the guts to start it) as the “Vegan” had entries that were really a separate issue and should have been raised as such. Ignorance on the part of some on forum etiquette, but no excuse for the likes of myself who should have known better.  Saying that I do think it carries a little more weight coming Levi (or correctly put Levissima), just hope it does not open the can of worms it has potential for… Please note my correction of the use of name of choice on this forum, I think using a real name is another where unless they use it, say as a sign of to a post, then it should not be used. Pedantic perhaps, but people make the choice to broadcast their name or not. I was going to add a thanks and a sign-off with the title of a well-known Johnny Cash song, but thought it might stick! Perhaps other more experienced forum users can expand on the “do’s and don’ts”. If it’s not here then people will never know how things work… Keep up the good debates folks and watch out for those old doodies on the keyboard just next to you!!! Oh and Shebar, not a drop has passed my lips… And "VV" (far too big a proper title) it goes without saying you will think the opposite, so don’t even bother writing it…   :) :) :)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
And by naming People to start an argument the diggers give us a Great example of how not to post. Thankyou for that  :)

I think when you have an opinion have the decency to express it and not add other people to it just to start an argument. Then we can all play nicely.  :)
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Shebar

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
I wonder how many others feel the same way as piglet and therefore don't give us the benefit of their opinions and experiences?  I seem to remember that the old forum had a 'tag-line' something like - "if you don't post there'll be nothing to read".

As a regular poster, who gets a fair share of the "stick" (thanks diggers!), I am disappointed that so many of our members only participate by reading rather than by sharing.

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »
I wonder how many others feel the same way as piglet and therefore don't give us the benefit of their opinions and experiences?  I seem to remember that the old forum had a 'tag-line' something like - "if you don't post there'll be nothing to read".

As a regular poster, who gets a fair share of the "stick" (thanks diggers!), I am disappointed that so many of our members only participate by reading rather than by sharing.

Probably a first - I agree with Shebar...  ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully she at least read the humour in my previous post....  ;D

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »
and i for one get more than my  share  of the stick  one  for my wicked (not in every bodeys taste  ) sence of houmor   and for beein dislexic  and i like  to post the truth and shame  the devel  A3

Offline piglet47

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
I do share information and have just done so and like think that I post and reply when there is something that I feel I can contribute to, the trouble is things of piste and people love to post inflammatory remarks.  I would appreciate it you did not single out any member and name them otherwise this will just get ridiculous and highlight comments.  Please do not use my name again for any form of discussion.  I am not a happy bunny to be singled out!!!   >:(

Offline Shebar

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Sorry if I have offended you, but you made a perfectly valid point (which you have now re-iterated here where it is more appropriate).

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »
Linsead Oil (NB full name) I have seen you given stick for your sense of humour and for posting the truth and shaming the devil but I haven't been a member (as far as I'm aware) when you have been given stick for being dyslexic --- and, after my experience of those with your difficulty, I would want to firmly kick in the n*ts anyone who did so.

Offline Casa Nicola

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »

I find this forum very valuable and do read on a daily basis, it keeps me informed whilst I am not in Italy and I have also had very valuable advice and also support from people and offers of help a few years ago when I had no water. (From people that I have not even met)I don't write many posts, sometimes because I assume this may be criticised or judged, luckily for me this has only happened once, if people write posts asking for advice whether what material to use, colour or any other advice then I think it is really good to get other people's advice without that advice being unnecessarily criticised, there are effective ways of saying you don't like something without making judgments

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
I did not read anything on the vegan thread as I knew I would get into an argument  and I do not apologise for being controversia;l as the saying goes 'The Lady doth protest too much' - normally when you touch a nerve it results in an excessive response.

Been there, done that as they say.

I always try to share my experience with others and newbies but I will never agree with everyone on everything and I am too old to change my ways now  ;) ;) ;) ;)
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Nobody has asked for us not to express our opinions or to agree with others, what we have been asked to do is not 'name a person' or hint that 'there will be others who do not agree' at the end of our posts as this causes arguments.
I do not think it is much to ask a group of adults to not say things like 'No doubt the usual suspects will not agree' at the end of a post, it is a bit childish and means the writer has only one motive.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
Thank you VV :)