Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Failure to connect to a particular web site  (Read 3202 times)

thediggers

Failure to connect to a particular web site
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »
Someone we know nearby has had trouble accessing a particular web site. The question I'm asking is has anyone else experienced such a problem and if so with which provider. It matters little in terms of security and I would not want anyone to divulge which bank they are with, but the case in question is a well known bank site. I'm pretty sure I know the problem lies with the provider (connetti) and they do have ways around it. It was more curiosity to find out if this problem is more widespread?

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
Re: Failure to connect to a particular web site
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
Tell them to change the browser they use just to rule out other problems.  Usually use chrome but when i tried to check in online with an airline i could only do it through Explorer for some strange reason
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
Tell them to change the browser they use just to rule out other problems.  Usually use chrome but when i tried to check in online with an airline i could only do it through Explorer for some strange reason

Thanks VV, but like I said it's not a technical answer I was looking for, it was more to find out if others here have had (or do) the same problem. The fact I could take another device there and connect to their ISP and still have the problem for a site I've never accessed quickly told me it was nothing to do with the browser used. Was trying to avoid being over technical about it, but it's the supplier (connetti) and their DNS server that's the suspected problem. It's  a bit of a shame as otherwise these people have a good fast service from the company, I just suspect they are not quite up to the job of maintaining their servers. Not to worry I was not expecting much of a response, if any and it was just on the off chance.

Offline Chillout

• Tutto Italy
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »
A bit of an old thread I know but if you are still having problems try changing the DNS servers.

As the problem is affecting all devices, best to change the DNS at router level. Simply change your isp dns servers to Google's:

DNS 1 = 8.8.8.8
DNS 2= 8.8.4.4

This should resolve the issue.

Let me know if you need any help and i'll try and walk you through.

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
A bit of an old thread I know but if you are still having problems try changing the DNS servers.

As the problem is affecting all devices, best to change the DNS at router level. Simply change your isp dns servers to Google's:

DNS 1 = 8.8.8.8
DNS 2= 8.8.4.4

This should resolve the issue.

Let me know if you need any help and i'll try and walk you through.

Thanks Chillout, unfortunately I had tried that and it did not work. Like I said in my reply to VV it was more to try to find out if this problem was widespread, it seems not. The people in question also had an all in mobile package with mobile data, so I told them to use it as a hotspot when they wanted to access this particular site (rarely needed). I'd already accessed the site for them via a vpn. They seem happy to put up with having to use the hotspot, personally I would be pushing the isp to fix it!

Offline Cassius

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
We used Conetti and I never had problems accessing any of my UK banks or my Italian bank (Unicredita).

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:03:20 AM »
Oh - nothing whatsoever to do with the subject - but it's good to see Chillout again! How are you doing? Good, I hope.

Offline popinjaykev

• Popinjay pics
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
I cannot do any of my Italian online banking using Chrome or IE - Even the bank told me this was the case so I use firefox and have no trouble at all. Why this should be the case Heaven only knows.
In All things be a witness and if necessary use words.

thediggers

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
I cannot do any of my Italian online banking using Chrome or IE - Even the bank told me this was the case so I use firefox and have no trouble at all. Why this should be the case Heaven only knows.

Simple answer Kev is that they developed it only with FF in mind, very odd thing to do in this day and age...  I have been using FF for some years now following many a poor performance issue with Google (who have totally sold out), but always have both IE and Chrome on my devices to try if there is a problem...

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »
Just a tip I had -keep a special browser for online banking and don't use it for anything else  ;)
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
It used to be common a number of years ago, that web sites would only work with IE. I still have to deal with a couple dinosaurs who will not work with FF or Chrome. Curious that one would work only with FF and not Chrome, but....shrug. Perhaps they are a bit antiquated and using java script, which, about a year or so ago, Chrome basically banned due to some nasty holes.

A separate browser just for your banking? Well, that may a bit of an abundance of caution. Secure connections are still safe.

For the next two months at least, I have to deal with IT issues on a daily basis. People ask me which anti virus should I get? I tell them that all they really do is give you a false sense of security. Infections on your own computer mostly follow the same rules as vampires. You have to invite them in. Email attachments and Links in emails are the gateway for the vast majority of infections. A compromise of data is far more likely to be totally our of your control when someone else's database is hacked.

Lately, a new opening has come up from all the web connected devices available to people. So very many of them are very poorly coded and can be broken into with ease. Since they are connected to your network all the time, they can end up just being an open door. Have you ever suspected your internet connected TV was watching you? :)

Offline Shebar

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »
 :D
Thanks, but completely incomprehensible. 

What is IE?... and vampires?

Should I be worried?

Perhaps better to return to pre-www dark ages?..... but where would I be without Google and Wikipedia?

thediggers

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
:D
Thanks, but completely incomprehensible. 

What is IE?... and vampires?

Should I be worried?

Perhaps better to return to pre-www dark ages?..... but where would I be without Google and Wikipedia?
IE = Internet Explorer (sorry my abreviation, most geeks know it)
FF = FireFox
Google search = DuckDuckGo
Wiki = The Guardian

Okay the last is  :D
Without WWW. we would not be talking/posting this crap!  xXx

Offline Shebar

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
and the vampires???

thediggers

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »