Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 2958 times)

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
Its great you have found someone you can trust.

I listened to a R4 program about Ghost Brokers a few days ago and its frightening to see the level of fraud in that industry. It seems to me that more people get their car /house insurance through a broker in Italy than in the UK so what consumer protection is there? do they have a professional body?

This is from the BBC

Twenty thousand motorists could be driving around uninsured after buying fraudulent or even fake cover, the BBC has learned.
The multi-million pound scam is operated by fraudsters known in the industry as "ghost brokers".
Insurance companies say the conmen target those on a budget and looking for a cheap deal.
A new City of London police fraud unit has pledged to "tackle the problem head-on".
The "ghost brokers" operate through websites or small ads offering cheap insurance.
They target young motorists who face rocketing premiums and communities where English is not the first language and where there is a lack of understanding about the way the insurance industry works.
In some cases they issue completely fictitious policies.

a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline busters mum

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
I am very lucky with Alessandro, he started off having English lessons from me, an has turned into a good friend, he took me to meet his family an his mum cooked a lovely meal for me.  He has also helped me in many other ways since I moved here, we even went an watched the Italy Ireland match in his local bar, where they had a big screen outside an a barbecue, guess I was the only one cheering that night. I don't often recommend people but am very certain of him, Generali Italia is a big company an he will try his best.

Offline fj

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Hi...this is a question for The Diggers
We are in the same situation re Clements and are waiting for the relevant documentation from AIG. What I really want to know is if that was enough to get your no claims taken into consideration. I know it doesn't state the CU number but did your new insurance accept the AIG document anyway.
Any information greatly appreciated!

thediggers

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
Well "yes and no"... We still don't have any insurance confirmed, but from what was a good quote we were told the CU value on the years shown on the Attestato di rischio from Clements (6) was classe di assegnazione 10. I'm not too sure how they convert this, but the documentation from Clements indicates any Italian insurer can look it up on the ANIA system. I'm guessing this was done as we did not provide the Attestato di rischio for the quote, but simply repeated the text AIG provided i.e. it can be obtained from the ANIA system.

Offline fj

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Thanks for that...we'll go to our insurer and see what they come up with!

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »
if you look back though the old posts of mine you will see how i moved from group 12  to group one  clements a re a complete waist of time but i beet  them pm me and iwil tell you more  A3

Offline fj

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
Hi again,
still trying to get something from AIG re insurance. A quick question again for thediggers! Was your car an Italian plate or Uk plate? We were told by Kate in Clements uk that foreign plates could not be registered on the ANIA system! Thanks again.

thediggers

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
Hi again,
still trying to get something from AIG re insurance. A quick question again for thediggers! Was your car an Italian plate or Uk plate? We were told by Kate in Clements uk that foreign plates could not be registered on the ANIA system! Thanks again.

It is an Italian registered car. It was Kate Brady that we dealt with and all I can say is she was very helpful.

Offline fj

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »
Ah that makes things clearer. Thank you!

thediggers

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
The car insurance saga for us is over, many thanks to those that provided information on here that helped us a great deal. For anyone looking at this in the future it seems AIG do put the information on ANIA (Italian database the insurance company will use to verify your no claims), but they do NOT put on the actual CU value. So when looked at by any of the insurers it shows 0 (zero) a big problem we were told. However it turned out it was not such a big problem and the insurance agency at the ACI in Piane (for those living near there, they were very helpful) got it sorted. Even better news was the fact that like others we found the cost was around 30% cheaper than AIG. The documents provided by AIG, in particular the Attestato di Rischio seems to be exactly the same as those used here, but has no CU value, however the supporting document has the conversion table which now I understand  and it is relatively straight forward. One thing that confused us was the fact the online quote site had CU values as high as 18, so we thought that was the starting point. Its not, 14 would be the highest entry point and you can only get up to 18 by having a claim at some point.