Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Residency  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Lois Lane

Residency
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
For anyone who owns a property in Italy but who does not have residency  I came across this from

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/living-la-dolce-vita/

For now, you can only stay for 90 days per 6 months period. HOWEVER,  In other EU Mediterranean countries, there's a such thing as the "Golden Visa" when allows people from foreign countries, who purchase property over a certain amount, to be automatically granted a 5 year residence visa. Because Italy can be a little slow on things that make sense :), it's not made it to the country yet. Spain, yes. Greece I believe so. France, I believe so. It's just something to keep a look out for. I understand that Italy government is considering making this a thing in Italy, it's just not official yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:55:22 AM by Lois Lane »

Offline 2Heads

Re: Residency
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »
For anyone who owns a property in Italy but who does not have residency  I came across this from

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/living-la-dolce-vita/

Not, 'for anyone' ..... only for non-EU citizens!

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
I think you'll find that this works 'unofficially' in some comunes already. I know of at least 2 people who have either been given residency, or are at least allowed to stay for 6 consecutive months, in houses that they own for no other reason.  I'm not sure I would risk buying a place on the assumption that I could stay longer than 90 days though.  As usual it's a bit haphazard.  Sometimes the individual comunes not quite knowing the rules does work to our advantage though!
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline PJM

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:50:50 PM »
Please can anyone tell me what are the advantages of residency , I bought my house over 11 years ago and live most of the time in the UK , here in Italy for a month I only usually spend two months a year here , its rented out some of the time . I may however come more often when I retire ..any information welcome .

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »
The major benefit of becoming a resident is the tax you save when buying a house. As you already have your house this won't apply to you.

Other benefits are you pay a different tariffs for some utilities, it makes it easier to buy a car, if it's your prima casa you will save on the Italian equivalent of council tax. You are eligible to join the health service, although emergency treatment is always available.

The disadvantage is that you will be required to file a tax return and any savings you make on the above mentioned benefits are likely to be swallowed up by Italian tax on your home in the uk.

I live here permanently and am resident but if this wasn't my main residence I'd steer clear, especially as none of us know what Brexit will actually mean.

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »
I would agree with Levi's analysis. Once the house is bought - and/or renovated - the benefits, as far as I can see are 'not worth it' if you have a house elsewhere which is your main residence.

Offline PJM

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »
Many thanks PJM