Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Praying Mantis  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Cassius

Praying Mantis
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Last night I saw a large female praying mantis in the middle of town (during festa - must like music).  I know that they are around in the Med but I've only ever seen them in Provence in the Maquis before, never in a town.  Has anyone else seen these fascinating, albeit slightly creepy insects?  And it was definitely a praying mantis and not a large cicada or cricket.

thediggers

Re: Praying Mantis
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
Last night I saw a large female praying mantis in the middle of town (during festa - must like music).  I know that they are around in the Med but I've only ever seen them in Provence in the Maquis before, never in a town.  Has anyone else seen these fascinating, albeit slightly creepy insects?  And it was definitely a praying mantis and not a large cicada or cricket.

We are more than a bit rural..... There are many, many here, just sometimes a little difficult to spot. The lawnmower and strimmer seem to have no trouble finding them ! We always try to miss them because as say they are fascinating, apart from which they eat the baddies and are a gardeners friend. Collecting strawberries this morning an inch or more long one was crawling all over, baby I guess. Normally by September there are loads and it's a lot more difficult to avoid them when mowing. Crickets I like, but they do cause damage, especially I suspect the long horned variety that seem to also lurk around our strawberries >:(

Offline Cesare Rinato

Re: Praying Mantis
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
I live on the edge of a largish village. I haven't seen any this year but most years I have seen one or two. I have even watched one hunting in one of my window boxes on the 3rd floor. So far I have just observed from a distance. I haven't tried sexing one.
A hairy man who is scant of hair