Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Lunch on a Trabocco  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
Lunch on a Trabocco
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
Can anyone give us a recommendation?  Preferably with website and / or phone number?  Somewhere between Pescara and Vasto?  Thank you!
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Shebar

Re: Lunch on a Trabocco
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
Vignaverde...

http://abruzzolutely.com/forum/index.php?topic=844.msg6255#msg6255

...but there are several others here who have lunched at one or other of them, so wait a bit and see who responds.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
Thanks for that.  Personally the idea of lots of fish courses is just up my street but we will have two 6-year olds with us and I worry that the experience will be completely lost on them.  Are they all of this formula?  Anything a little more low-key?  Better to save it for a grown-ups only outing?
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:43 AM »
I'm not sure what price they would charge for children. It might be worth asking. There were certainly children running about on traboccho Punto Cavalluccio. But the problem may be that a meal of that size takes a long time and it is difficult to keep kids entertained whilst you are wading through 10 or 12 courses, unless you take video players with you. We didn't take the grandchildren because my wife was a little concerned about their safety should they run about on a traboccho.

Last year there was a traboccho offering lunch on the mole at San Vito marina. I think that was a lot cheaper although access wasn't as easy. It might be worth trying that out first. If you are looking for an alternative, I would really recommend ristorante Cavalluccio just north of Fossacessia. We go there every year so they know us but our grandchildren are fairly picky eaters and they usually prepare particular meals for them, pasta bianca, chips etc on request. They also offer meat based menu if the kids have problems with fish with heads on or shellfish in shells. The outside restaurant is really nice and is right on a private beach so you can have a swim whilst you are there. There is another traboccho on the same beach but it belongs to Il Pescatore, which seemed  fairly expensive. It had a sign saying open for lunch and dinner but I haven't seem much activity there.
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
Thanks for that.  Personally the idea of lots of fish courses is just up my street but we will have two 6-year olds with us and I worry that the experience will be completely lost on them.  Are they all of this formula?  Anything a little more low-key?  Better to save it for a grown-ups only outing?
  yes eat all you can chinese and fish  near the  rounder bout qwith chased plane  pescara

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
I would still do the trabocchi, they are safe and kids can run along the pier and play off the trabocchi if they want. We warned the restaurant as there was a five year old with us. She just had pasta and a few muscles they charged very little for her as she mainly picked from others. It really I a fantastic experience not to be missed
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Cassius

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
I think lunch on a Trabocco would be a great experience, and most children are very adaptable - as long as the experience is not too long for their attention span and they can have a bit of fine they should be fine.   One can do a Chinese eat all you can eat meal anywhere, but a Trabocco is unique.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
I agree, the experience is as enjoyable as the food. The fish and dishes created were outstanding, I really hope that in the very busy period (August) the quality remains good, I'm sure it will as it was full when we went and the standard was excellent.

I hope not, but the Trabocchi restaurants could really push the prices up because they are so unique. E50 per head is excellent in my opinion especially considering the amount of wine that was drunk  ??? ::)
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk