Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Driving To Italy  (Read 8308 times)

Offline 2Heads

Re: Driving To Italy
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
I suppose much of it depends on how much time you've got.  We like a couple of overnight stays and shorter days - recently we've stayed in Varese and Saarbruken which are both very nice towns with good bars/restaurants/hotels and make the journey more than just the km between two locations.  If you are doing more than one trip per year then the Vignette isn't that expensive and the motorway is quick and easy.  If you enter/exit Basel via Germany it is much more straightforward than via France.
Thanks for the heads up about the German exit from Switzerland, Cassius, I'm going to give it a try when we go back in a week or so to see how it goes.
How did you end up in Varese? I have given it an 'interested' look on the map a couple of times - especially as there appear to be one or two reasonably priced hotels - but it seems to be at the end of a cul-de-sac when it comes to the route from Abruzzo to the channel ports. So, we always end up going through Chiasso. Am I missing something?

Offline Cassius

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »
Quote from: 2Heads link=topic=86.msg2617#msg2617 dat
[/quote
Thanks for the heads up about the German exit from Switzerland, Cassius, I'm going to give it a try when we go back in a week or so to see how it goes.
How did you end up in Varese? I have given it an 'interested' look on the map a couple of times - especially as there appear to be one or two reasonably priced hotels - but it seems to be at the end of a cul-de-sac when it comes to the route from Abruzzo to the channel ports. So, we always end up going through Chiasso. Am I missing something?

To be honest we got a bit bored with Como we had done it so many times - and the hotels and restaurants are quite expensive (and now George is married what is the point  :)) so I just looked at Booking.com at other towns about the same distance and Varese seemed to fit the bill.  It is a very pretty town with a good vibe - lots of bars, people sitting outside (even in May and October ha ha) and once you've worked out the one way system!!  it is a short distance to the border and the town just inside the Swiss border had very cheap fuel. It might be an hour more than via Chiasso/Como but we'd rather have a nice experience.  Just try it and see what you think - we have used the Grand Hotel and the Europa.

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »
Ahh!  I see, Cassius, I had been looking in all the wrong directions and didn't realise there was a border crossing point at Franzosini. We're booked in to stop at Mulhouse on the way back this time but I suspect I'll be giving Varese a go at some time in the future.  Thanks again.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
Thanks for the info re Varese, always nice to know of somewhere recommended, will give it a try. We found a little gem of a place this summer, high above Lugano called Mugena at il castagno. It's up very bendy roads though but the views are breathtaking. Also Durbach in Germany, hotel Linde is another favourite.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 11:50:47 PM »
We just drove to UK via switzerland after the Swiss franc was unpegged from the euro. We stopped the night in Cernobbio to avoid the swiss hotel bill but we're pleased to see that the petrol was much cheaper (1.39chf) than the week before (1.50chf, before the Swiss franc was revalued). This does make sense I suppose, because they can buy it cheaper so they pass that on. Anyway, thought I would pass this info on if anyone thinking to avoid switzerland because the fuel will cost more than before, it doesn't.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
Just driving down from Switzerland to Abruzzo and instead of our usual good value hotel in Bologna, saw an amazing deal in Rimini (booking.com) 29 bed and breakfast for two, sea view balcony room, four star hotel diplomat palace. Was really nice. Obviously out of season but still, great value. We came via Brig this time using the Simplon car train tunnel 22CHF which was a blessing as all the passes were shut because of snow.