Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Are Water Tanks in Italy safe?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline itsme

Are Water Tanks in Italy safe?
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Can you have water tanks in Italy?
We get lots of water cuts here so they put in a 500 litre tank that supplies the house. It is for emergencies but the water flows through it all the time.
My Italian friend says you cannot do that in Italy and people have died as the water gets infected.
What should I do?

Offline linsead oil

Re: Are Water Tanks in Italy safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
depends  if its covered . if you are here  all the time , if its used for drinking  etc  , or just washing or  flushing  the lue
this ??? cant rewaly be anwered on line  get a plumber to check it out , but it works ok in the uk if its done proply
was it legeners desese  they  died of or  just  bad water  qoulety  , we in pretoro have some of the purest water  in the world  but the italians still buy there drinking  water  from road side  vendin machines  , as they say tap water is full of   viruses  sorry cant give you a fixed answer not seeng the set up

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
I've been reading a lot of info on the internet around using food grade IBC/Tote tanks (1000l) for storing drinking water.

Loads of points about how to clean them at the outset, wrapping then in black plastic to stop sunlight getting thru (causes algae), pre & post filtration systems, installing dump valves to be able to flush them through.

So very much depends on what your 500l tank is like, where it is, whether you can clean/filter/flush etc.

Load of people drink the spring water .. but that tends to come from a 'naturally' filtered source, and has never 'sat around' in storage.

I was at La Magilleta this weekend, the sorgente there has some beautiful cold clear water running out of the tap .. but the trough had about 4 inches of algae in it .. yuk!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
Christoforo has been doing what you likely need to do as I doubt there is any straightforward answer.I'm sure the Australians like these store water all the time. Here Defra give simple advice on it, so I gather accept it? When looking for a house here we only came across one that had two tanks, can't remember the full details, but it was a German couple selling and they had every gadget going, all the best stuff. In the end it was the main (of many) that put us off the house and indeed made us look more into water shortages in different areas. Just a small point, I reckon our main use of water is for other than drinking. We have not had other than a planned stoppage of water for maintenance, since then we've always kept in a small supply of 2l bottles of drinking water. A quick look shows an expiry date of 12/2016 on the plastic bottle, wonder how safe they are?