Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Coast to Coast cycling (finishing on Adriatic)  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Woody

Coast to Coast cycling (finishing on Adriatic)
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Hi,
I am trying to plan a coast to coast cycle trip from Lazio to Abruzzo, ideally finishing in Fossacesia Marina. I want to do the ride in one long day, avoiding motorways.

The route I had thought of is:-

Marina di Minturno - Pozzilli - Castel Di Sangro - Fossacesia Marina.

Does anyone think this is a viable route to cycle. it measures 171km so just over 108 miles. Does anyone know this route?

I have not decided on a charity yet but will probably be for a childrens cancer charity.

Thanks

Offline the wrong side of the valley

Re: Coast to Coast cycling (finishing on Adriatic)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds an interesting route, will you be fishing (wetting the gear) in both seas on the same day?
Once you get away from the western coast the roads will be largely quiet. 
Think comfort, don't expect perfect road surfaces.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »
Hi Woody

That sounds a most interesting challenge.  You could take a look at the routes that the Tirreno-Adriatico race has taken in the past to get an idea of how the professional cyclists attempted it.

Good luck.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
Hey Woody,

Great stuff - my nephew has just done (last Sunday) the Dragon Ride for MacMillan Cancer Support - and the climbs are the real challenge.  Your route is probably the "lowest" you could have chosen, and you'll deserve the freewheel from Castel di Sangro to Fossacesia - I'll meet you there and buy you a beer!!  I'd also be very happy to make a decent contribution here....

https://www.justgiving.com/stephen-sutton-tct

...if that will encourage you!!

Offline Woody

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »
Hey Woody,

Great stuff - my nephew has just done (last Sunday) the Dragon Ride for MacMillan Cancer Support - and the climbs are the real challenge.  Your route is probably the "lowest" you could have chosen, and you'll deserve the freewheel from Castel di Sangro to Fossacesia - I'll meet you there and buy you a beer!!  I'd also be very happy to make a decent contribution here....

https://www.justgiving.com/stephen-sutton-tct

...if that will encourage you!!
Hi Shebar,
Thanks for your words of encouragement, its just in the planning stage at the moment. Yes its not too hilly but its the 176KM in 1 day that will hurt (till Castel di Sangro anyhow!)

Probably looking at August / September to do the ride.

The beer at the end sounds nice!

Cheers,