Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: End of UK driving licence paper counterpart  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Allan Mason

End of UK driving licence paper counterpart
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
The paper bit of UK driving licences will become obsolete on 8 June 2015. Depending on the rules of the hire company, this may complicate the process for hiring a car abroad.

After that date, a code will be needed to access the DVLA database of convictions and offences. The code can be obtained by logging on to the DVLA website and it is only valid for 72 hours after issue.

At least it seems that it should be possible to log on to the DVLA website from abroad, as long as you can give your driving licence number, your National Insurance Number and a UK postcode. (And of course everyone has memorised their National Insurance Number, haven't they...?)

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

Al
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:46:32 PM by Allan Mason »

Offline Hagbean

Re: End of UK driving licence paper counterpart
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Thanks Alan, good spot.
HB

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
That ruddy National Insurance number is getting more like a Codice Fiscale every day

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »
The AA is advising that you keep your paper license in case foreign car hire companies are not aware of the changes. Knowing Italy, that may take the next twenty years😜

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Just in case anyone has not read the title "paper license" is the counter part. Anyone with a paper licence (I think they said around 7 million people...) they are still valid and will be until around 2032! The logon to look at your licence details does work, and from here in Italy.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
Thanks diggers I was just about to post the exact same thing, we still have the old paper licences as we have never had occasion to change them.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:31 AM »
Italian (plastic card) licences do not have a paper 'counterpart'. So I hardly think an Italian hire car desk is going to ask for this mythical beast - it is the UK which is/was behind the times on this one, I suspect!

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:23 AM »
I the last 5 years the only 2 times I had to produce the counterpart was in the UK to hire vans, Italian firms never seem to ask for it.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
I the last 5 years the only 2 times I had to produce the counterpart was in the UK to hire vans, Italian firms never seem to ask for it.

It has been a long time since I hired a vehicle, but I have to say my recollection is the same: only UK car hire firms seemed to know that there was such a thing as the paper counterpart with a list of points and offences.

Since the change is being highlighted as a possible problem only with non-UK car hire firms, I assume that UK-based car hire firms are able to access the same DVLA database as insurers do these days. So I suppose it potentially makes things simpler when hiring a car in Britain.

Al

Offline Sunshine

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »
Hi All, haven't posted for a while.

We've hired a car at Pescara at least a dozen times over the last three years, and not once been asked for the counterpart.
For anyone that does hire a car, we use Europcar, and the check in is very quick compared to the poor folk at the Hertz desk next door. We seem to get the paperwork done, get the keys, have a quick espresso, load the car and get on the road before they have even finished the first bit! :D

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
We hire about 6 times a year and hand over our paper licences (not the counterpart) and the hire company just photo copy it without batting an eyelid. We have used all of the companies and can't honestly notice any difference in time to do the paperwork. We decide on which company based on costs and that includes costs of additional driver which can differ dramatically. Annual car hire insurance works out a fraction of taking out comprehensive cover at each hire. We also may have to return to the desk on occasion after finding additional dinks in the bodywork on initial inspection but they always note these without any problem. I hope I don't speak too soon but we find them pretty straightforward compared to experiences we have had at Rome ciampino and Pisa in the past.

Offline Sunshine

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:40:09 AM »
............ Annual car hire insurance works out a fraction of taking out comprehensive cover at each hire.

Hi LV, I agree, we do that as well. It costs us about £40 for a years cover. Well worth doing.