Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Fireflies spotted...  (Read 13501 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
At last! Seen them tonight in quite large numbers, it’s more difficult here, with street lighting, but down a wooded track, it’s like fairy land. Lovely!

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
So happy to come back to the house tonight and find hundreds of fireflies ! Magical!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
I came back to the house late last night & it was the perfect night for them; nice & mild, but.... no sign. Shame.

We are forecast rain here the next few nights so that may keep them under cover. They really are magical when they're out.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 08:14:05 PM »
Was just cleaning the windowsill today and spotted a family of wild boar huddling under the tree of our neighbours garden, 20feet from their front door. Then driving along our track to our house this afternoon, a herd of them, ranging from large to minuscule were playing ahead. We waited and watched them frolicking awhile completely oblivious to us, but were careful not to come between parents and babies before we proceeded on. Once they were aware of us they scarpered. My husband also met one on his bike this week on our track. These encounters were all in the middle of the day, not at dusk or nighttime when they usually forage about. A bit worried about my grandchildren playing outside our fence now, even me on my bike as there must have been at least a dozen today. Are they becoming more bold? I?ve not seen such a large number together before either.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »
Our logic on this at the time was that they know no Italian would be out in the rain so they have the place to themselves! :)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
I expect they also know that most self respecting Italians are sleeping off their lunch so another reason they have the place to themselves 😉😂

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
We got back to the house late on Friday after a stint away & we were treated to a beautiful display from our resident fireflies. Absolutely magical.

Having the grass waist-high probably helped!
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »
There doesn't seem to be as many fireflies around our house this year compared to previous years.

We don't usually see them until the very end of May, but the weather this year made them even later, but numbers are certainly down.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
Same here, late and fewer than previous years. Mind you everything?s a bit weird this year. I?ve never seen so many swallows, so there must be plenty of insects.