Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Fireflies spotted...  (Read 4716 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
 :D Come on Kev! We think ourselves very lucky if we even spot them, let alone get pictures. There were 2 in our neighbours olives last year which we were amazed to actually see.

Offline popinjaykev

• Popinjay pics
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
 :D 8) ;D  hahahahahahaha I know - I waited throughout last summer ...I kept hearing them but it was only in September  when it was about to return to Africa, that I saw it through binoculars. I got a shot but it was so far away that it looked like a clump of yellow leaves ..... I am missing Abruzzo so much 
In All things be a witness and if necessary use words.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »
Ahhhh at last one single firefly..

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »
Ahhhh at last one single firefly..

I'm going to check tonight, never seen them in April before, but you never know.

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »
Golden Oriels are so secretive I did get a really good view of one when I was driving but normally we just hear them.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
Well until tonight there was still only one single firefly, but now we have lots of them!

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »
The recent poor weather does bring some benefits. Sitting indoors having breakfast looking out a Hoopoe came flying in just above ground level and landed on the grassy path below us. Iím sure it is the same two birds every year that we see, but normally only the one is spotted feeding, as was the case this morning. I knew they ate ants and assumed as there is many here thatís what it was eating. But we watched this bird nab a small snail (1cm) and take it to a stone and smash it as a Thrush would do and shake the shell off. After a minute or so of doing this it threw the remaining bit in the air and swallowed it. The fireflies are still here despite the rain, but Iím sure the main tribe are still to arrive as there is still not as many as other years.

Offline Brush Strokes

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
The recent poor weather does bring some benefits. Sitting indoors having breakfast looking out a Hoopoe came flying in just above ground level and landed on the grassy path below us. Iím sure it is the same two birds every year that we see, but normally only the one is spotted feeding, as was the case this morning. I knew they ate ants and assumed as there is many here thatís what it was eating. But we watched this bird nab a small snail (1cm) and take it to a stone and smash it as a Thrush would do and shake the shell off. After a minute or so of doing this it threw the remaining bit in the air and swallowed it. The fireflies are still here despite the rain, but Iím sure the main tribe are still to arrive as there is still not as many as other years.

A very fortunate sighting, especially for so long and able to observe tucking into some scran  :)

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2018, 10:12:29 PM »
Canít believe it keeps being such an event every year. Tonight, loads of fireflies, frogs, nightingales and a lovely sound of cicadas. Come on folks how lucky can we be to have access to such a life!

Offline Brush Strokes

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
Went outside late last night on the firefly hunt, but still nothing  :(

However I did spot a family of 4 hedgehogs including two very young ones.  :)

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
Still not the numbers we have seen other years, but we have had a few dozen per night for a while now..

Offline Clive Oldfield

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
Ah, thank you for mentioning nightingales. I have been wondering for a while now what I was listening to at night, and now I know!
We are incredibly lucky in that we have lots and lots of fireflies around now, they are beautiful  :)

Offline Brush Strokes

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
At last!

I've spotted my first firefly of 2018. Just one mind you. As I mentioned before, I always associate seeing them in my area with cantine aperte and that is happening this weekend, so pretty close.  :)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
The outside temp has registered just above 30 degrees here today so Iím quite hopeful Iíll spot some fireflies on my nightly dog walk. Havenít  yet spotted any, been too cold and too wet!

Offline popinjaykev

• Popinjay pics
Fireflies spotted...
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Ok well I arrived this week and went to a friends house for a meal and was amazed to see so many fireflies.  I thought it would be too late to see them this year. They are such a beautiful sight 
In All things be a witness and if necessary use words.