Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Fireflies spotted...  (Read 5025 times)

thediggers

Fireflies spotted...
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »
First of the year for us, fireflies spotted, only 3 for now, but guess many to come...  :)

Offline Relaxed

Re: Fireflies spotted...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:36:54 AM »
That message is such a great 'heads up'!

I hadn't thought to keep an eye out for fireflies - (being more concerned about not driving over my very stupid cat) - but those little green LEDs are going to compete with my boring solar white LEDs - and I'm inclined to pull the plug out of the "oh-so-green" white ones and  delight in the "oh so green" green ones. They are such  a delight!

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »

I hadn't thought to keep an eye out for fireflies - (being more concerned about not driving over my very stupid cat) - but those little green LEDs are going to compete with my boring solar white LEDs - and I'm inclined to pull the plug out of the "oh-so-green" white ones and  delight in the "oh so green" green ones. They are such  a delight!

Well I'm glad someone else loves them. Spotted dozens tonight. Odd thing last night was that we spotted them around half eight, then looked again around 11 and seen none at all... Again tonight it was 8:45... So initially do they go off to bed early or could it be to do with the bright moon later on?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:38:44 PM »

Well I'm glad someone else loves them. Spotted dozens tonight. Odd thing last night was that we spotted them around half eight, then looked again around 11 and seen none at all... Again tonight it was 8:45... So initially do they go off to bed early or could it be to do with the bright moon later on?

I think it's more to do with temperature, as the temperature drops during the evening the fireflies stop flashing but as the evenings get warmer they can be seen much later.

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »

I think it's more to do with temperature, as the temperature drops during the evening the fireflies stop flashing but as the evenings get warmer they can be seen much later.

Now that makes sense...  :)

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »
Presumably, if the flashing achieves its purpose, they roll over and go to sleep afterwards.
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline Shebar

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:28 PM »
Just seen some here in Castelfrentano - are these the first of the year?

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
Oh wow I forgot about the fireflies. Thanks for the reminder she bar I will be on the look out.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Orbito

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:15:28 AM »
How exciting, I've never seen fireflies before!  :o

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
Just came back home in the dark this evening and fireflies out by us too, I'm sure I didn't see any until early May last year but then it is a warm evening. Magical.

thediggers

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
Well the firefly (only one) did not appear until 5-6 days later ... However our first cicada did cherp up 2 days ago, bet neither wish they had in this weather!

Offline Shebar

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
Can't believe I'm posting this, but I've just seen a firefly (just the one) on April 5th!!

Offline Lui

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »
I can't believe it either. Usually late May, June here. Is this because of the fabulous March we've had?

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »
Wow - what a fantastic alert of this (absurdly early) arrival of le lucciole. I must keep an eye out for these beguiling insects.

While typing this, I used the word lucertole instead of lucciole - (but luckily I noticed this before posting!) This isn't one of those 'false friend' words which look (in Italian) a bit like English words, but they are easily confused.

A further misinterpretation can amusingly arise because una lucciola is slang for a prostitute! And a lucertolo translates as a 'lounge lizard'.

Have fun with this in your local bar! Get it wrong and they will love you for life - which, I suppose, is also a comment on how unimportant I think it is, in Italy, to expertly speak the language.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
He (or maybe it's a she, a lucciola) is here again tonight - still alone!