Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Using the NHS in the UK when resident abroad  (Read 9838 times)

Offline Cipriani

Re: Using the NHS in the UK when resident abroad
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »
I would be more than happy to use the Italian healthcare system if i could but according to the local office the rules have changed and i have to be resident for 5 years as i am not of retirement age and dont have a job. Has anyone else come across this?

If you have a job you will be automatically paying in to the system so you can get your Tessera sanitaria card. If you are a UK retiree and have the relevant documents from the UK to show to the ASL office, you can then get your free Tessera sanitaria card.

HOWEVER, if you are neither of these...ie a resident but not working, or a resident not of reitrement age then you do have to wait 5 years. Please note I am talking about UK expats here, I do not know how the system works for other nationalities. My information comes from recent personal experience (not google or a bloke down the pub, I have actually done this!!) This is the procedure... taken from the thread   Residency / Re: 'Early Retiree' - Healthcare more info on that thread...

You can only buy into it after a 5 year residency. This is proven by taking your residency document to the commune after you have lived in Italy for a full 5 years, they check the date and give you another one with a stamp and date on it. You have to pay for the stamp minimal fee Something like 12.   Then you take this to the ASL office where they will issue you with a receipt once they have checked your 5 year residency document and carta d'identita. Take the receipt to the post office, pay the 300 fee and take the post office receipt back to the ASL office. Then they will issue you with a cardboard tessera sanitaria health card. You will receive a plastic one a couple of weeks later. You can then pay every year to renew it.

Offline Lemontree

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »

You can only buy into it after a 5 year residency. This is proven by taking your residency document to the commune after you have lived in Italy for a full 5 years, they check the date and give you another one with a stamp and date on it. You have to pay for the stamp minimal fee Something like 12.   Then you take this to the ASL office where they will issue you with a receipt once they have checked your 5 year residency document and carta d'identita. Take the receipt to the post office, pay the 300 fee and take the post office receipt back to the ASL office. Then they will issue you with a cardboard tessera sanitaria health card. You will receive a plastic one a couple of weeks later. You can then pay every year to renew it.

Is there a way that we can mark posts with "outcome of topic" this is really useful information, however if your looking at the subject you need to read all the posts - is there a way of doing this?

thediggers

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
With all due respect Cipriani, your post is just more internet chat as it stands, link to the relevant post would have been helpful (and yes, I will go and look for it).  This is important to a certain category of people coming here to live (not a small proportion I suspect), so it would be good to nail it down a little more. One of the things that seem to make it more difficult is the fact each area applies the rules different, so what happened to one person is no concrete guide for others. ASL seems to me to be regional and each (if big enough) has it's own site. I picked  this one as I thought it was likely to have it correct... (daft I know) and it does (based of a google translate granted) appear to confirm what has been said. However the group I referred to here are likely to not need the "5 year rule" and I suspect after the 5 years you don't in any case have to pay anything.
As an aside the same web page gives what might be a useful (if not posted before on here) LINK to a PDF leaflet in English on how the system works here in Italy.

Offline Cipriani

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
With all due respect Cipriani, your post is just more internet chat as it stands, link to the relevant post would have been helpful (and yes, I will go and look for it).  This is important to a certain category of people coming here to live (not a small proportion I suspect), so it would be good to nail it down a little more. One of the things that seem to make it more difficult is the fact each area applies the rules different, so what happened to one person is no concrete guide for others. ASL seems to me to be regional and each (if big enough) has it's own site. I picked  this one as I thought it was likely to have it correct... (daft I know) and it does (based of a google translate granted) appear to confirm what has been said. However the group I referred to here are likely to not need the "5 year rule" and I suspect after the 5 years you don't in any case have to pay anything.
As an aside the same web page gives what might be a useful (if not posted before on here) LINK to a PDF leaflet in English on how the system works here in Italy.

I gave the name of the thread for anyone wishing to look up more information that might be relevant to them.
I did not intend to give a 'concrete guide' I was answering a question asked by Jdalts which was 'has anyone else come across this?' Yes, I have.
Of course everyones situation is different, and there will be lots of people who have had different experiences on this subject.
My post may be 'internet chat' to you, but my information comes from personal experience, not because Dave down the pub told me his friend knows someone who...or from a google search...It is purely from my own experience which I thought would be helpful to Jdalts.

thediggers

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »

I gave the name of the thread for anyone wishing to look up more information that might be relevant to them.
I did not intend to give a 'concrete guide' I was answering a question asked by Jdalts which was 'has anyone else come across this?' Yes, I have.
Of course everyones situation is different, and there will be lots of people who have had different experiences on this subject.
My post may be 'internet chat' to you, but my information comes from personal experience, not because Dave down the pub told me his friend knows someone who...or from a google search...It is purely from my own experience which I thought would be helpful to Jdalts.

Sorry Cipriani, I do think the post is helpful and relevant as it's a members actual experience. However I do know others (also on here) who have got their TEAM card immediately on getting residence, exact same circumstances.... It just seems it is one of those things, like getting residency, where it differs from area to area, so it would be nice for others that follow to tie it down to an official government site or legislation. Getting a result thereafter is a totally different affair....

Just as an aside, which may effect other in the same circumstance where one of a couple have a UK S1. I advised someone on another forum that I was sure they (as a younger, not retired half) could get cover on their spouses S1. I suggested they contacted the DWP (I can get a link for anyone that needs it) and they came back to tell them that this is correct. Again, getting residency based on this would be another matter down to the powers you are dealing with. However this does seem to be verified on the ASL link I posted above and it may be if you went that way around i.e. getting your health card first it may help for residency. The question of "chicken and egg" does come into it, but I believe the same link also states you can register whilst having evidence of an application for residency - a receipt...

Offline Jdalts

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »
Cipriani thanks for your reply, i am glad i am not the only one who experienced this. I went to the Penne office to try to get mine but the lady behind the desk was adamant i was not eligible. i am a bit annoyed that i had to take out an insurance policy (expensive) in order to get residency that i now cannot use as i cant register with a doctor!! I guess if it comes to it i will have to use my EH1C card from the UK.

Offline Cipriani

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »
Cipriani thanks for your reply, i am glad i am not the only one who experienced this. I went to the Penne office to try to get mine but the lady behind the desk was adamant i was not eligible. i am a bit annoyed that i had to take out an insurance policy (expensive) in order to get residency that i now cannot use as i cant register with a doctor!! I guess if it comes to it i will have to use my EH1C card from the UK.

Although you can not register with a doctor, you will be able to use your insurance policy to get emergency treatment in a hospital should you need it.
When I left the UK (just over 5 years ago) I got a certificate E106 which will cover you for up to 2 years medical cover.  (depending on how much national insurance you have paid prior to leaving) This helped me get my initial residency. Obviously it ran out leaving a gap of 3 years. I went to the ASL office and was again told that I would have to wait the full 5 years so I asked them what they would suggest I do to fill the 'gap'. They told me to use my EHIC card. And, yes, when I left the UK I was told that I must destroy the card if I was to become resident in Italy as it was for use for people who were UK domiciled! I explained this to the ASL, and they shrugged telling me that the UK would never know so it was OK by them for me to use it.
I guess it's risky if you need extensive treatment and try to get it on your EHIC maybe the UK would investigate. Anyway, it's what I did, and luckily I have a friend here who is also my doctor and he was fine with it. I think the correct way would be to fill the 'gap' with a private healthcare plan.

thediggers

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
Think it is correct that the only option you have when you retire early, neither you or spouse are not in receipt of a UK state pension or invalidity benefit is to have private healthcare. But have another look at Shebars post, I think you will find that any doctor here will see you, registered or not. EHIC will be accepted without question and the UK will not check up as apart from not having  a clue who comes and goes it's not worth the cost of their effort. For any serious illness, where of course you are able to travel you can return to the UK. If you need health cover for residency (if the comune ask), then you have the option to take out a years cover. From what I've read (useless internet of course ;D ) , there is no check you renew your private insurance once you have residency - very naughty.
As for the old E106 (which became form S1)  unfortunately the UK government removed that option last year. You can still of course get the S1 (with cover for any spouse) if in receipt of a UK state pension or invalidity benefit (which can be paid here in Italy by the way).

Offline Riso

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
i went to my A.S-L office i had been resident for less than five years at the time and i got my card no fuss i dont have to pay anything yearly but i was told from the office that it depended where you get your card and what comuni you are in as i tryed to help a friend once in penne as they wouldnt allow her a card, i took her to my office and he told us that it depends where you are as the rules seem to change in differant comunis strange.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »
i went to my A.S-L office i had been resident for less than five years at the time and i got my card no fuss i dont have to pay anything yearly but i was told from the office that it depended where you get your card and what comuni you are in as i tryed to help a friend once in penne as they wouldnt allow her a card, i took her to my office and he told us that it depends where you are as the rules seem to change in differant comunis strange.

I think the problem is that things have changed a lot over the years and getting onto the health care system is very different now. When I came out ten years ago we just went to ASL with proof of residency and got our cards but things have become a lot more complicated over the years. so much for free movement of people and standardisation in Europe!

thediggers

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 10:38:36 PM »

I think the problem is that things have changed a lot over the years and getting onto the health care system is very different now. When I came out ten years ago we just went to ASL with proof of residency and got our cards but things have become a lot more complicated over the years. so much for free movement of people and standardisation in Europe!

More recent arrivals are still managing to do exactly the same i.e. get residence and then your TEAM card...  But think it is correct that things will only get harder and that the correct position currently is you need to have your 5 years in or use your UK EHIC and do not declare you have left the UK for good, if indeed you have....

Offline Jools Thorpe

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
Hi Folks,
 We had conflicting advice initially, after arriving here permanently in June 2014, but are now sorted as of May this year. The process, if you are under UK state pensionable age and not an Italian tax payer, appears to be that  you can pay an annual voluntary contribution to ASL of circa 380 Euros and you will receive your tessera di sanitaria (ticket) for 12 months. NB though! their year goes from January to December so whenever in that period you register your ticket is only valid to December 31st that year. e.g. we paid  for ours in may but it only valid tip 31st December this year. We've been advised to renew it early next January. The UK department of work and pensions no longer issue the old S1 form to "early retirees" as of July 1st 2014.

thediggers

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »
Hi Folks,
 We had conflicting advice initially, after arriving here permanently in June 2014, but are now sorted as of May this year. The process, if you are under UK state pensionable age and not an Italian tax payer, appears to be that  you can pay an annual voluntary contribution to ASL of circa 380 Euros and you will receive your tessera di sanitaria (ticket) for 12 months. NB though! their year goes from January to December so whenever in that period you register your ticket is only valid to December 31st that year. e.g. we paid  for ours in may but it only valid tip 31st December this year. We've been advised to renew it early next January. The UK department of work and pensions no longer issue the old S1 form to "early retirees" as of July 1st 2014.

I think that's quite the correct state of play, however it likely still varies from comune to comune. The only other thing I would add is for those where one partner of a married couple is in receipt of a UK retirement pension (or invalidity benefit,  whatever they call it these days) the OH (not so entitled, but resident here) are entitled to medical cover based on the entitlement of the other.

thediggers

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 11:45:20 PM »
I should add, if you do pay these contributions,they may well count for state pension purposes as well. Don't worry about it now, all you have to do is state you have lived in Italy when you claim your UK state pension, the the DWP will deal with the Italian authorities .... yeh , yeh the Italian bit will take a little time  :(