Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: 'Early Retiree' - Healthcare  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Christoforo

'Early Retiree' - Healthcare
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
Does anyone have any recent experience of the following scenario :-

- couple Moving out to Italy
- OH is 'retiring' but early .. i.e. giving up working as part of the move
- Need to have healthcare cover for her to (a) use it when needed and (b) to support residency application

Seems that the situation changed in July 2014 .. implying that it is no longer possible to get the temporary (1 yr) UK healthcare cover.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/residual-S1-forms-for-early-retirees.aspx

.. and that the only options are to
(a) be covered as my dependent
(b) have a private healthcare plan
(c) start paying Italy NI immediately

thediggers

Re: 'Early Retiree' - Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
Does anyone have any recent experience of the following scenario :-

- couple Moving out to Italy
- OH is 'retiring' but early .. i.e. giving up working as part of the move
- Need to have healthcare cover for her to (a) use it when needed and (b) to support residency application

Seems that the situation changed in July 2014 .. implying that it is no longer possible to get the temporary (1 yr) UK healthcare cover.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/residual-S1-forms-for-early-retirees.aspx

.. and that the only options are to
(a) be covered as my dependent
(b) have a private healthcare plan
(c) start paying Italy NI immediately

It did change and you no longer can get cover automatically for 18 month to 2 years based on your UK NI (a right rip-off as you have paid into it). If one of you is covered e.g. in receipt of a UK state pension or invalidity benefit of some sort, then you can be covered as a dependent... Trouble is that the comune you are dealing with may not accept this or indeed your own S1 as cover for residency purposes, I'm sure any hospital would... First thing is to see if your comune indeed want or ask about health cover, ours never did....
The option to get a healthcare plan is possible and from what I've read once you have residency no one would ever check you renewed that cover.
Don't know anyone who has done this, but another option may be to get your own residency and register for health care, then get your OH sorted later on the back of that and then go back to the comune with your Italian health cover, if you both have the card I doubt they would or could query it. Might be more difficult time wise if you are buying under both names and getting the tax reduction based on getting residency, but sure you could do this within the 18 month (if that's still what it is).

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
I have private health care cover from a UK company. PPP I if I remember correctly. I didn't get it because of my residency, I was already a resident. It's quite expensive but it includes repatriation to the UK in case of health problems. I tried some other companies in Italy which seemed to provide private health care relatively cheaply. One I remember was  Allianz and I would guess they would be one of the more expensive options. So it might be worthwhile trying Italian private health cover or at least getting a quote. It may not be as horrific as you anticipate
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
You can 'buy into' the Italian healthcare system if you are not entitled to automatic coverage.  Some American friends of ours here in Sulmona paid about 300 per year for this.  Not bad in theory. 
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Caerus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
You can 'buy into' the Italian healthcare system if you are not entitled to automatic coverage.  Some American friends of ours here in Sulmona paid about 300 per year for this.  Not bad in theory.

Do you know if this 'buy into' applies to anyone or does one have to be resident. What I mean by this is for example, if one owns a residence in Italy but is a resident (for tax purposes) of Canada and is only in Italy for less than 6 months per year, could one still buy into the health care system for the time one is in Italy?

Offline Cipriani

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »

You can only buy into it after a 5 year residency. This is proven by taking your residency document to the commune after you have lived in Italy for a full 5 years, they check the date and give you another one with a stamp and date on it. You have to pay for the stamp minimal fee Something like 12.   Then you take this to the ASL office where they will issue you with a receipt once they have checked your 5 year residency document and carta d'identita. Take the receipt to the post office, pay the 300 fee and take the post office receipt back to the ASL office. Then they will issue you with a cardboard tessera sanitaria health card. You will receive a plastic one a couple of weeks later. You can then pay every year to renew it.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:41:25 AM »
@Caerus - you definitely need to be a resident for this 'buy in'.  Otherwise you need a private policy from your country of origin - IIRC.  If you are not a resident you are in effect a tourist and entitled to nulla.

As for length of residency before you are allowed to buy in, I'm not sure how long our American friends had been here for but it may not have been 5 years.  Certainly when we first arrived, the administrative clerk at our ASL office wanted my husband to 'buy in' immediately.  In our situation there was a misunderstanding on the clerk's behalf as she couldn't accept that he was my 'stay at home dependent'.  This was eventually resolved.  We are UK citizens and I work here and pay income tax and INPS here.  With us there was no question of waiting for a 5 year initial residency period to be up.  As usual this one comes down to an individual's personal experience - it seems to be different every time so it's the luck of the draw who / what you get. 
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Cipriani

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:02 AM »
If you pay Italian tax you can register with the ASL immediately and receive your health card. You must have 5 years of residency if you are retired and are not paying any tax in Italy, so you will have to sort out your own health insurance for the first 5 years of residency, or of course, you could get a job!! You can easily confirm this with a visit to you commune or ASL registration office.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
I think the possibility to 'buy in' (as your American friends have done) is only available to extra-communitari, and not to Europeans. (This certainly was the case a few years ago, though a few more years ago it was also an option for EC citizens.)

Offline Cipriani

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
I think the possibility to 'buy in' (as your American friends have done) is only available to extra-communitari, and not to Europeans. (This certainly was the case a few years ago, though a few more years ago it was also an option for EC citizens.)

I am from the UK, we are retired and last year did this buying in process. My comments on how it is done come from recent personal experience as we did this only last December. I am not certain of the procedure for non EU residents.

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »
Thx folks.

I think the main message here (again) is 'talk to your local comune' ;)

This moving game is so much fun  :o ...  I think I badly need another dose of Majella mountain views + a large glass of Monte D'A .. before "La Dolce Vita" becomes "La Stressante Vita"   :-\

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »
Thx folks.

I think the main message here (again) is 'talk to your local comune' ;)

This moving game is so much fun  :o ...  I think I badly need another dose of Majella mountain views + a large glass of Monte D'A .. before "La Dolce Vita" becomes "La Stressante Vita"   :-\

Thats the right way, just keep drinking  ;D
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Caerus

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 03:42:35 AM »
@Caerus - you definitely need to be a resident for this 'buy in'.  Otherwise you need a private policy from your country of origin - IIRC.  If you are not a resident you are in effect a tourist and entitled to nulla.

As for length of residency before you are allowed to buy in, I'm not sure how long our American friends had been here for but it may not have been 5 years.  Certainly when we first arrived, the administrative clerk at our ASL office wanted my husband to 'buy in' immediately.  In our situation there was a misunderstanding on the clerk's behalf as she couldn't accept that he was my 'stay at home dependent'.  This was eventually resolved.  We are UK citizens and I work here and pay income tax and INPS here.  With us there was no question of waiting for a 5 year initial residency period to be up.  As usual this one comes down to an individual's personal experience - it seems to be different every time so it's the luck of the draw who / what you get.

Thanks Tartufa. I suspected as much but in all my research couldn't find a definite answer. :(

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
We never got around to getting our Tessera Sanataria's but decided to do so the other day. We were directed to the place in Penne by our local doctor but we too came up against the 5 year residency rule. We've actually been living here since March 2013 but it took almost 18 months to get the residency (Aug 2014 I think) so that's annoying. The sum appears to be 367pa. We might try our own commune to see if we can get a different answer...
In Abruzzo since March 2013