Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Public holidays in Italy  (Read 3256 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator

Offline Large Lewis

Re: Public holidays in Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:31 PM »
thanks for the link

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
Tomorrow is down as a public holiday according to 2-3 sites I've looked at. Some places may be closed, so if you are planning a trip out it might be worth checking beforehand.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
Tomorrow is All Souls' Day (or all saints day, never remember) and the cemeteries will be full of people paying their respects and taking flowers to loved ones graves.

Offline Woody

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
We are coming to our house in Casoli from 23rd to 28th Dec. It will be the first time we have been in Italy for Christmas and we are very excited. Can anyone tell me if the shops and restaurants will be open as normal? We will need to get some food in obviously when we first arrive. I don't know if there will be any closures because of the public holidays. We usually shop at Eurospin in Casoli and Conad at the Commercial centre in Lanciano. It would be lovely to think that we could also go out to a restaurant on Christmas Eve, as that is my birthday, but we do not know if these are likely to be closed. We have no idea how the locals celebrate Christmas, so it will be great to be around at that time.

Offline tobylap

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
Depends, but in Vasto, Lidl, eurospin, conad and tigre are mostly open.  You shouldn't have a problem.

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
Tomorrow is All Souls' Day (or all saints day, never remember) and the cemeteries will be full of people paying their respects and taking flowers to loved ones graves.

All Saints....  ;D

Offline Shebar

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 06:42:48 PM »
Woody,

I think you'll find restaurants open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (though you'll need to book for Christmas lunch).

Many Italians spend Christmas Eve with the family enjoying a meal of fish.  Christmas Day likewise - with the family.

I suspect you'll have difficulty finding shops open on Christmas Day or Boxing Day (Santo Stefano), though some might possibly open for a half-day (morning).  Previous experience suggests that there'll be precious little on the shelves!!  You would be wise to try get what you need for your short stay on the 24th.

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 11:31:56 PM »

All Saints....  ;D

Yes, All Saints or All Hallows. That's where the expression Halloween comes from. You often see it written as Hallowe'en because it's a short form of All Hallows Evening.

Offline Woody

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
Thanks for the info. We will try to go shopping when we get there on Friday, if not Saturday, and hope there is still plenty left on the shelves by then.

Offline Red Mistral

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
Woody, Eurospin normally put up posters with their holiday opening times on, for example it was open this morning. If I recall, they were open for a couple of days between Christmas and New Year. Certainly, restaurants are quite keen to get you in for Christmas lunch, we're going to our local as we did last year.

Offline Woody

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
Thanks Red Mistral, that's good to know. We will try to get as much when we first arrive. It's good to know that some places will open afterwards, and we also have the option of going out if we want to.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:23:37 AM »
I would book for Christmas day in advance as the restaurants are very busy over this period and if you like fish there will be queues all over the place (CHristmas Eve) where there are fish counters and you know how much the Italians like to queue  ;D You shouldn't have problems getting supplies, unfortunately Italy is starting to open up over festive periods (not on the day itself) so the bigger supermarkets should all be open ready to serve the masses before and just after the big day. Speaking of masses, even if you are not religious the atmosphere at midnight mass (Christmas eve) is always very special and so is the atmosphere on Christmas day even if you just have a walk around the local town around 11-12noon when the churches begin to empty, usually the bars are full of people offering best wishes. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:25:44 AM by Vignaverde »
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Woody

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
Thanks VV. That all sounds lovely. We are really looking forward to it. Didn't even think the bars would be open on Christmas day.

Offline Molino

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
Thanks VV. That all sounds lovely. We are really looking forward to it. Didn't even think the bars would be open on Christmas day.

Hi Woody, please do report back as to what you found open on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, it will be really useful future information for the forum. 

We always try to go out on Christmas Eve lunch time to a restaurrant,  we are in a large town of 40,000 and have only ever found a few restaurants open, but they are usually fairly empty and not much atmosphere! I think it is such a big 'family' day, that most people actually spend it in each others houses  having the traditional fish lunch, so it's not worth most of the restaurants opening. In the evening it is a different story, the bars are open but don't actually get going until the end of midnight mass when they are heaving and there is a great atmosphere. I imagine you will find a restaurant open somewhere on Christmas Eve evening...

We have never been out on Christmas day, but will definitely have a wander around this year and see if the restaurants and bars are actually open...I shall report back! M
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:31:46 AM by Molino »