Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Landline  (Read 8771 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Landline
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
Having been without a landline since 5 March and there being, so far, no news of it being repaired, I'm begining to wonder whether to bother!

Between Skype, FaceTime, email, the forum and my antiquated mobile I've managed to keep in touch with most of my friends. It was a bit of a bind when I felt the need to shout at my ENGLISH bank but I emailed them and they kindly rang me on my italian mobile!

Anyone else thinking of saying cheerio to telecom Italia?

thediggers

Re: Landline
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
Often, but we do have family members in the UK that specifically switched their landline there to Sky to enable them to make free calls to Italy. We too had our landline here down for a week, no bother for us, but the family were asking about it. Didn't really wan to raise a fault as I knew they would be busy enough with likely more urgent needs. However I raised a fault via their site and it was fixed a day or so later when this gruff Italian guy called the line and (I'm guessing) told me it was fixed! We never seen him at the house but did see a van going up and down the road on the day it was fixed, so we guess the problem was further down the road... Quite good for Italy that they have an online facility to check your line, just registered with their site as a customer and you can access the area and kick off a test. Mind you the result we had was that the test could not run on our line - still had to raise the fault...

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
We have never had a landline as TIM apparently think we and our neighbours are too far out of the village for a line. We all just use mobiles and Dave and I use skype for calls with family. His mobile is a payg which gives us 120 mins per mo th to the UK for 5euros. Even if we could get a landline now I don't think I'd bother

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »
Well done The Diggers!

I have tried phoning over several days but all I get is "sorry for the inconvenience, all our lines are busy please call again later"

I've tried on line, first it said I was already registered, then it asked for my codice and told me it had no record of me, then it gave me a new password, then it timed out, then I got an error page then it told me I'd used up my attempts, then it asked me to phone a special number using my LANDLINE. Finally I got to technical assistance and the page is temporarily down please try later.

That's enough for tonight, I'm going to crack a bottle of stress relief!:(

Offline Shebar

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
Since you've managed reasonably well without your landline, I'd just write them a letter telling them not to bother re-instating it - that way you won't have to pay them an enormous sum to disconnect you.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
Since you've managed reasonably well without your landline, I'd just write them a letter telling them not to bother re-instating it - that way you won't have to pay them an enormous sum to disconnect you.

:)  :D  ;D

Excellent idea, but everything I know about TelecomItalia and its ilk says that there's nil chance of this working.

And of course - as I'm sure Shebar and Levi both know - you must send the correct form via registered post in order to have any chance of ever getting a bill for disconnection.

My personal feeling is that anyone who can figure out a way of doing without a land line is well advised to try to avoid becoming ensnared by TI or any of the other telecom providers that use TI wires.

Al

Offline southerngirl

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
I have never had a land line.  When I bought my house I had a friend set up auto pay.  Come to find out the line to my house had been chewed up by rats years earlier.  Telecom wanted 5000 Euro to run another line. 
I told them that I would do without.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
I use, skype but using a telephone that does not need a computer to run, just an internet connection.
I pay around £7 per month and that includes european calls to landlines and to mobiles !!! (some countries are not included for mobile calls but most are including UK and Italy). It works fantastic and saves you a fortune, you can also pay for a UK number so your friends and family in the UK will pay local  rates, this costs around £30 per year.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline maritodi

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
I agree with VV that Skype is the way to go, I pay a small subscription for all of my International calls.

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Yeh we use Skype to, but unless you are using "Skype in" it (you) have to be on-line/signed in to Skype for people to call you. Also the quality at times is crap compared to the landline and if you have problems with your device starting up and you have Skype automatically signing you in I can guarantee half the delay will be Skype! All in all, like I said, we too would get rid of the landline, but just make sure you know what you are getting with the alternatives... Talking of which, I've not tried it out yet, but Firefox in their latest browser release have a built in call feature for "Firefox to Firefox" user, no sign in, membership etc,

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
The diggers, just buy a skype phone, the one where you do not need a computer, it is like a normal cordless phone and you do not have to keep signing in etc, it is constantly signed in. You just use it like a normal phone  :)

thediggers

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »
The diggers, just buy a skype phone, the one where you do not need a computer, it is like a normal cordless phone and you do not have to keep signing in etc, it is constantly signed in. You just use it like a normal phone  :)

No they are not, and signed in to Skype is likely the cause of any problem you have as it's a resource hog ... I only sign in when I need to use it. Sorry to say you need to likely check exactly what Skype is and how it communicates with the web, leaving it open is not an option for me...

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »
Apple devices have "FaceTime" built in. With this you either enter the number of an iPhone or the email address of an apple user and bingo you have a video connection. The advantage is that it only needs the device to be on, not necessarily with FaceTime selected. Easier to use than skype but only for apple, so I have skype as well.

The land line I suppose is useful as a backup and also because the italians are still so fond of FAX!

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »

No they are not, and signed in to Skype is likely the cause of any problem you have as it's a resource hog ... I only sign in when I need to use it. Sorry to say you need to likely check exactly what Skype is and how it communicates with the web, leaving it open is not an option for me...

I know you always like to disagree with me but I was only trying to help.
The engineer from Telecom Italia (who I now know very well) asked me to disconnect my skype phone so he could test the line and he found no major problem with it. I keep it on all the time with no problem at all and my internet is c**p at the moment !

thediggers

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
Apple devices have "FaceTime" built in. With this you either enter the number of an iPhone or the email address of an apple user and bingo you have a video connection. The advantage is that it only needs the device to be on, not necessarily with FaceTime selected. Easier to use than skype but only for apple, so I have skype as well.

The land line I suppose is useful as a backup and also because the italians are still so fond of FAX!

Think you may find Firefox have introduced the equivalent, like I said I've not tried it yet, but they are also supposed to be doing a version for Apple devices this year, so I guess it will work over all devices...