Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Landline  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Cassius

Re: Landline
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
We used a VoiP phone that is an internet phone and had an English phone number, however the internet people changed the frequency of our receiver and after that the phone didn't work any more. The phone people blamed the internet people and the internet people blamed the phone people and we gave up and used Skype and a Google hang out for those on Google.   It's not the best solution but better by far than being in thrall to Telecom Italia.

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
We used an earlier model of this Skype phone for about five years: http://dstele.com/rtx-skype-dualphone-3088-no-pc-required.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw876oBRCYr86w6KGfpkgSJAACIidwDxx1jdevj_gTiT2qFrbS3VWYkT5DNqkZS0oKb_Xd2BoCZETw_wcB

The quality was dodgy at times when we used a landline "ADSL" service, but it worked very well with the Micso WiFi service. The quality was at least as good and it was at least as reliable as the mobile service we had on the slopes of the Gran Sasso. A good landline would have been better, but that was something we learned not to rely on.

The way it worked was that during setup you entered your Skype user name and password, so the phone then logged itself into Skype whenever it had power. It plugged into a router and obviously the internet connection device had to be on, but you didn't need a computer of any sort switched on. We never had any problems with massive amounts of bandwidth being hogged by the phone and the device functioned quite well, given it was on all the time. There were a couple of occasions when we had to do the "unplug, count to ten and plug in again" routine with the base station and we had to pull the batteries out of the handset a couple of times to do a reset, but those were the only niggles.

Like Cassius, we paid Skype for the use of a normal UK telephone number, so people dialed an Edinburgh-prefix number and the phone in our Italian living room rang. Slightly strange concept, but it worked quite well.

I did briefly experiment with using Skype on a smartphone connected to the household WiFi network and that seemed to me a viable alternative. Anyone interested in Skype who has a smartphone that can run the app without the phone being rendered useless for anything else might consider messing around with this.

Al

Offline tobylap

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »
I've been using Vonage(through Internet) for 2 years here. It's $12/month incl. taxes and I kept my US number and can call US and Canada as much as I want. There are other plans for Europe.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
Having jumped through all the hoops I finally get onto the technical assistance page... To report that I have no phone line, and this is what I get!!

Benvenuto nell'Area Clienti
Nel pieno rispetto della riservatezza e di tutela dei tuoi dati personali ti
invitiamo a completare la registrazione chiamando il numero gratuito
40123 dalla tua linea di casa selezionando l'opzione 2

Ehem! How do I ring that number from my house phone when I have no house phone?!!

How did you do it the diggers?

thediggers

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Having jumped through all the hoops I finally get onto the technical assistance page... To report that I have no phone line, and this is what I get!!

Benvenuto nell'Area Clienti
Nel pieno rispetto della riservatezza e di tutela dei tuoi dati personali ti
invitiamo a completare la registrazione chiamando il numero gratuito
40123 dalla tua linea di casa selezionando l'opzione 2

Ehem! How do I ring that number from my house phone when I have no house phone?!!

How did you do it the diggers?

Ah that might be a bit more difficult as I guess you are trying to register for their site looking at the above? I registered Jun 2011, originally I certainly did not phone them to do so, but looking at the documents I have on it I had to re-register in 2012 as they all of a sudden decided they wanted an email address as the user... So I did indeed have to ring that number from our phone an pick option 2 (yes I also have a note of how stupid that is...) . Fortunately I did not need to speak to them as I would have never got registered.  I'll have a look for you and see if I can raise a fault on another phone....  :)

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
Skype on a smartphone is excellent technically in my experience, but you do need to have  a camera on the front of the phone if you want to use it for videocalls. It's also not ideal for video because you have to wave it about in front of your face and you end up looking like a really bad selfie!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
Telecom engineer came today, went up the pole, looked in the box, announced "e rotto!" And left.

Great service :) thank goodness ENEL and the water people take things more seriously!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Amazingly I got my first piece of post in just under a month, and what is it? Why the pigging phone bill, of course! I think it's called adding insult to injury! >:(

Offline maritodi

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
It could be time to vote with your feet!  :(

thediggers

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
Send the bill back and ask them to call you about it....

Offline Shebar

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant solution - and I'll be chuckling for days, just at the thought!  Italians don't really do irony, do they?

Go on Levi - this could run and run..........

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »
At the risk of having my name forever linked with Mr Blue Skies can I recount my recent experience with Telecom Italia. In January my landline crackled sadly for a while then stopped working. Worried that my Italian wasn't up to the job I asked a friend to phone their emergency number. She was given short shrift and told that they had to talk to me at my house "so they could talk me through it" Next day the phone was OK so I didn't pursue it. A few days later I received a message asking if my phone was OK. I replied that it was working. Last week with I received my phone bill for the usual amount. Enclosed was a note saying because of my technical problems they had delayed my bill for a month. Grazie mille.

Sadly, the story continues because the phone and the internet went off again a couple of times, recently. I realised that the problem occurs every time it rains. So I will be phoning them again soon. Incidentally. I had exactly the same problem in darkest Surrey and dear old BT took 10 years to sort it out. The nearest I got to any sort of understudying from them was a curt "try another handset. If the problem is your equipment we will charge you for our engineer's time."
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
Another reason to consider dispensing with Telecom Italia is that there are major changes coming in May.

Having looked at my latest bill, I see that teleconomia international is going. There's no word of a replacement and tariffs are changing too.

Speaking to a friend with a smart phone, she pays 6 a month and uses Whatsap. It's becoming a no brainier!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Ok, so I've made the decision to dispense with my land line, downloaded the correct form off the internet, filled it in and sent it ricomendata (s). For the first time I actually scrutinised my bill, only to discover I've been paying rental on the old, hearing aid beige phone, which was left by the previous house owner. The form stipulates that, if you have a telecom phone, you must return it to telecom within 30 days. It says you must take it to 187 shop.

So, I look up 187 shops in my area and off I go to one in Pineto. They don't accept the phone and send me to another shop in Rosetto, this shop is now a "wind" shop, so I'm sent to yet another telecom shop, who also refuse to take the blasted phone. I'm damned if I'm going to pay the postage to send it anywhere other than the chief execs home address!

Anyone else encountered this? What was your solution?

Offline iggle piggle

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:43 PM »
I had the same problem when we cancelled our contract with a modem- I gave up and posted it in the end.