Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Cassius

Re: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
As I said at the start of this thread, let's see where else the duo go.  Matera and Alberobello are unique - in my opinion Matera really is one of the most stunning places I've visited in Italy, indeed in Europe, (although Alberobello is a bit too touristy for my liking).  The online TV guide mentions Urbino and Grotte di Frasassi (weren't they mentioned in a thread on the forum at some point?)  - neither of which I have been to, although have heard of, so I am looking forward to it.

Shebar - your post arrived as I was writing - whose mindset should be changing?  Your post didn't make it 100% clear.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
And when they come and discover they can't get a cup of coffee between 12 and 4, or a decent meal till 8.30 at night, they won't be coming back in a hurry.  It needs a whole change of mindset.

Can't get a coffee between 12 & 4 ?????????? WHich bars do you go to ? Considering the before or after lunch coffee is THE thing to do here I find it a bit strange you say this. As for a decent meal, yes the hours are limited between 12 and 2 then after 8 but having visited many tourist towns here that serve rubbish all day I would much rather stick to the hours and get decent stuff, I do think people need to look at the hours and maybe open from 6 but having said that having spent a lot of time in Norcia the good restaurants open at the right times NOT all day and the best you can get all day is the ship em in ship em out restaurant on the right handside of the main corso which must provide food for the local hospitals (  ;) ) or you can get your hand on the day before homemade pizza ! There is a lot to be said for authenticity.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
I shall definitely have to look at episode two.

Urbino has one of my favourite buildings, the Ducal Palace, equipped with proper bathrooms (dating from about 1500), and stables (on two different floors) one for the Duke's horses and the other for the Duchess's nags! Plus the magnificent intarsio panelled study, some marvellous paintings - I could go on. Actually, it's probably not too far from you northern Abruzzese for you to make it a day trip.

The grotte are quite incredible. You can even go caving in a wheelchair. Brilliantly organised, and surrounded by some excellent restaurants catering to the hundreds of thousands of visitors. It might seem unlikely, but these caves should come over very well on the telly.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 11:04:37 PM »
Well I have to say that episode 2 was disappointing in comparison and YES, why not Abruzzo - Santo Stefano for lentils, Navelli for saffron, Campo Imperiatore for scamorza.  Still I would like to go to the waterfall.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
Saw nothing we couldn't rival in Abruzzo!

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »
Just watched episode 2 and loved it! I must try to get to Urbino this year - We pass the signs on the autostrada on the way to Pescara and keep thinking of stopping off.

As far as I'm aware there are no Unesco World Heritage sites in Abruzzo?

I read up about Urbino and what happened after the bombing German occupation during WW2 and it is interesting (depressing) to contrast what happed to the town compared to say Chieti where after the war the town was ruined by 'town planners'.We cant turn the clock back but we can at least learn from past mistakes and stop the destruction of the historic buildings in Abruzzo.

The seventies were marked by a collaboration with the Municipality for a project called Operation Mercatale (1969–72), which included the construction of a multi-story underground car park under Torricini’s famous Ducal Palace and the restoration of the helical ramp under the theater by Francesco di Giorgio Martini (1971–75), in collaboration with the City. They also developed the project of renovation of the Sanzio theater (1977–82) and the renovation project, much discussed, of the ancient Ducal Stables. In addition, thanks to the close relationship with De Carlo, the city has hosted twice (1976–81, and 1992–93) the laboratories of the ILAUD, founded and directed by the Genoese architect.

a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
Dolce how can you compare those 2 photos ?? One is a zoom of the centro storico and the other the whole town, have you ever been to the outskirts of Florence, Rome, London blah blah blah shall we post photos of those too ?
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Cassius

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »
Sadly town planners in the name of 'modernity' have destroyed so many cities, finishing the job the bombers started.  In England, Plymouth (once known as the 'pearl of England') and Coventry are ugly, brutal cities, similar to the way that Pescara was built after the devastation caused by the American bombing, compared to the way Warsaw and St Malo (to name just a couple) have been rebuilt in the image of what was there before.  What was once considered backwards (conversation) is now much more appreciated. 

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
I enjoyed the programme, but I'm a bit bewildered as to their knowledge of geography!
It's the first time I've seen the words 'east coast of Italy' and 'Umbria' coupled in the same sentence.

The grub was good though!

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
Yes VV I was trying to find a more zoomed out picture as it did seem that the two were not alike enough so I will carry on and try to find something.

Plymouth (10 miles from us) is very ugly and the council has continued to bring about its general decline by allowing a big new shopping centre to take any trade away from the Market and small shops.

Luckily not many Italian town centres suffered the total devastation that Plymouth did but sadly some town planners ensured that what the bombers began they finished off!

Chieti is a lovely town  to visit and we usually try to make several trips there to enjoy an aperitivo in one of the older bars every summer but the drive up there takes you through a depressing suburb of concrete tower blocks which due to the position of the town are visible from some distance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:45:36 PM by dolcevita »

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »
I thought I might write a bit on my blog about this so I have just read through the thread again and have a few comments .

Tourists are you and I whenever we visit anywhere away from home so names like grockles or emits aren't very kind though we may all get a bit grumpy by the end of August!

When I compare the number of tourists in Cornwall now to 1983 when we moved here its incredible and we have year round tourism with National Trust properties opening at half-term instead of at Easter and attractions like the Eden Project providing a respite from the rain all year.

Last week a friend and I met for a walk and tea at some Forestry Commission woods near Bodmin. The woods are laid out with bike trails and paths and the café (Woods Café) opens almost every day of the year from 10.30 4.30pm. I can eat a cream tea at 10am or a toasted sandwich at 4pm and there are 2 types of gluten free cakes. Outside there are tables to sit with your dogs and a small wood playground for children.The woods themselves were not nearly as attractive as those near Manoppello or Roccamorice but they were thronging with walkers and cyclists. VV will say that I'm trying to teach Italians how to run their tourist industry (certainly someone needs to) but why not organise fact finding trips to the UK to look at what is being done and how it can be done in Abruzzo ?

I for one would be very happy to coordinate such a visit using my contacts locally AND there is much in Abruzzo to learn from when it comes to food and hospitality so perhaps some sort of exchange visit would be a good idea?!

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
Yeah well, the Italy Unpacked team promised to visit 'off the tourist map' venues. They did well to have their producer research Spello (architecturally a mini-Assisi, but uncrowded), and Montefalco. (Notwhithstanding my previous objections to these towns being nowhere near The East Coast!)

But then - what do they mean by 'off the tourist map'? This is a show going out on a major BBC channel: their tourists are the nice people who get on a Page and Moy tour, or come on a coach which lodges in Poggibonsi and day trips out to Florence, San Gimignano, Lucca et al. These folk just want a taste of Italian culture (beyond a package tour to a beach somewhere near Riimini). They are not going to be offered (and are not going to buy into) the sort of vague disparate offerings which l'Abruzzo proposes.

Focus! Sell the nice Abruzzo beaches; sell the get away from it all nature stuff; don't pretend you have any 'not to miss' cultural stuff. Attract the potential Croatian visiotrs (with the new Snav ferry routes) - sell yourself to Italians. Please get real. (All said with the hope of being helpful)

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Dolcevita mentioned that National Trust properties open now from half term, in our neck of the woods (East Sussex and Kent borders )  all of the National Trust properties are open all year round now, I only realised this recently. We were at Batemans last week (Rudyard Kiplings home) and there were quite a lot of foreign visitors there so they get the info out there somehow. Is there a National Trust equivalent in Italy?

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
There is (a rather small scale, but improving) close to National Trust lookalike in Italy, going under the acronym of FAI.

Here is their homepage - I don't know how much further their English language offering has got!

http://eng.fondoambiente.it/

Offline Cassius

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 12:09:43 AM »
Visited an FAI woodland area in Assisi and got quite a lot of literature - not that many properties at the moment and fairly expensive to join, and no sites in Abruzzo - but a start.