Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2  (Read 7768 times)

Offline linsead oil

Re: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
The only "natural resources" Italy has are its history, its beaches, its weather, its architecture, its beauty, its relics....need I go on?  Unfortunately those in power don't have the sense to exploit its natural resources.
  i agree  A3

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
  " That's the problem with all the tourist areas. All the tourists. "

Reading this thread it seems to me that very few contributors have ever lived in a " tourist " area. Cursed every summer by Grockles and Rubbernecks. Trapped at home by a family of idiots who have parked their Mondeo across your driveway and are sitting on the beach with their ice creams, string vests and knotted hankies on head.
Abruzzo is OK as it is, may we never suffer the scourge of mass tourism.

My personal view, please don't upset yourselves.
  good point  agent  orange   its here  forv every body  to find  and we have some of the best resurants in   the world serving    natural food  and a few  for the food snobs ie  mislen each to there own   and  chieti has some of the  best resurants in  italy  just try eating in the turist  areas like lake  garda  a  boat full of grocels ever  hour they dont  care if you  complain   they  who cares another boat full in an  hour f of   oh  and we call them grockels in norfolk  as well as cookos  A3 A3

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »
Even the most devoted Abruzzo fan has to face up to the fact that it lacks the important artistic and cultural sites that other regions have in bucket loads. I know that not everyone here is interested in art or history and that 'lack' did not put them off moving to Abruzzo but these are the things that are very important to tourists.

We all know about the fabulous food and scenery but the vast majority of people who come to Italy want this AND wonderful art and culture. The programme is aiming to demonstrate the importance of  food and culture of Italy and the places they visit need to reflect this.

There are some lesser known gems and the hermitages in the mountains (that I feel Abruzzo overlooks when it comes to tourism) but in the main its the natural world that is Abruzzo's USP rather than art and culture. I'm sure if there are any future programmes about wildlife in Italy Abruzzo will certainly be on the list!
i must dispute this statment there is lots of art culture     ect  but you  just  need to look a  bit  harder   , its not handed to  you on a plate as in other parts of italy a fult  of the turist board  in abruzzo  for sure  , but its   slowely getting better  A3

NO there isn't art and culture to compete with other areas of Italy, there are lovely places but they are not in the same league.  Dolvevita is right in her analysis.   L'Aquila maybe could compete until the earthquake - Chieti looks wonderful but there are no good restaurants (to compare with towns such as Matera or Assisi).  The BBC is not employed by the Abruzzo tourist board so does not have any reason to show towns that simply cannot compete with more obvious ones in other areas of Italy - it and no other programme makers owe it to the Abruzzo.   Not handed to you on a plate says it all!  Why on earth should people have to look further when other areas have their offerings so much more easily available.  You have to remember that just because it is perfect for you it is not perfect for everyone.
NO good resterants   to compare with   matrera   ect what a load of old tosh     seconds out round  2 ding   A3 A3

Offline Cassius

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
I expect a restaurant to have good, friendly service, a choice of food and wines, to be clean, to have clear opening hours (and as we are talking about attracting an English audience on this particular thread as the BBC audience on the whole tends to be English - at least a smattering of the language might help).    I was honestly surprised and saddened by the lack of what I called a good restaurant in Chieti, whilst in Matera there were good restaurants of all types - one or two of which I felt were amongst the best meals I had so far in Italy.  Incidentally Linsead - when WERE you last in Matera to know exactly what the restaurants there have on offer?????

Offline popinjaykev

• Popinjay pics
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
It is really strange - I have been writing to TV wildlife presenters, conservation charities and film cameramen suggesting that they should consider making  a programme about Abruzzo, the home of probably the rarest bear in the world - The Marsican bear. Guess what,  I have not received a single reply. So If we want to raise the profile of Abruzzo I guess we should get together and do it ourselves? 
In All things be a witness and if necessary use words.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:59 PM »
Maybe VV will send a complimentary copy to the BBC and Channel 4 travel programming producers to get us started?😊

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
I will be sending the mag to as many places I can to see if anything happens.

People that say there is not much here for visitors should go around with their eyes open and take the blinkers off.

Abruzzo holds many of Italy's best-preserved medieval and Renaissance hill towns that rival those in Umbria and Tuscany. Abruzzo boasts indeed twenty of The most beautiful villages in Italy, 2nd only to Umbria which has 22 These awards are not just for aesthetic beauty but also are for art and culture, historical importance and livability.

The area is more than just about a handful of towns, why not visit some of the hermitages tucked away in the mountains that were built over a thousand years ago, please do not say there is no art or culture here because that is incorrect in a big big way. If you prefer to pack yourself into Assisi to see a beautiful church then please do, afterall it is stunning but when you have done that and enjoyed your tourist food and views of the local industry I will be exploring Abruzzo where I will be seeing sites that would rival anywhere in the world and I when I stop for a break I will eat real food at real prices.  :)
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »
I expect a restaurant to have good, friendly service, a choice of food and wines, to be clean, to have clear opening hours (and as we are talking about attracting an English audience on this particular thread as the BBC audience on the whole tends to be English - at least a smattering of the language might help).    I was honestly surprised and saddened by the lack of what I called a good restaurant in Chieti, whilst in Matera there were good restaurants of all types - one or two of which I felt were amongst the best meals I had so far in Italy.  Incidentally Linsead - when WERE you last in Matera to know exactly what the restaurants there have on offer?????
never been to matera  but  beewn to  asisi  and  most of the main  cities in  italy  and eaten   in  resterants   all ove italy and erope    including france   gemany   austria   holand   so i have a outlook   on food and resterants    and would  not  make the sweeping statement there are no good resturants in  chieti  do you meen the province  or the town   we have grotto  di rasele  nearr    here  he speaks english better than i    and has a wine cella to satify  the pockets of the  best wine snobs     there is a mislen  resturant  in  guardregrele  need i go  on   and when in rome springs to mind why should they speak english   have the fun is carrieing a phase book and having the curtesy   to try and speak the lingo  of the country  you are in A3

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
I will be sending the mag to as many places I can to see if anything happens.

People that say there is not much here for visitors should go around with their eyes open and take the blinkers off.

Abruzzo holds many of Italy's best-preserved medieval and Renaissance hill towns that rival those in Umbria and Tuscany. Abruzzo boasts indeed twenty of The most beautiful villages in Italy, 2nd only to Umbria which has 22 These awards are not just for aesthetic beauty but also are for art and culture, historical importance and livability.

The area is more than just about a handful of towns, why not visit some of the hermitages tucked away in the mountains that were built over a thousand years ago, please do not say there is no art or culture here because that is incorrect in a big big way. If you prefer to pack yourself into Assisi to see a beautiful church then please do, afterall it is stunning but when you have done that and enjoyed your tourist food and views of the local industry I will be exploring Abruzzo where I will be seeing sites that would rival anywhere in the world and I when I stop for a break I will eat real food at real prices.  :)
  for one i agree  with every thing   you say here  VV   even tghe locals say what  can the turists do when they  get here but you are allways blind to  your familia surondings     i still have a lot of exploring to do in abruzzo   and a lot of  good food and wine to sample  A3

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Granted that there are tourist hot spots in Italy, doing a 'tour' should include other areas like Abruzzo. If you do a direct comparison to the UK, I'd expect tourist to head for the capital, London, with sights such as Buckingham Palace , the Tower of London, museums and Galleries etc etc and perhaps Stratford on Avon but I'd expect any programme doing a tour to include Cornwall, the Lake District, the Cotswolds etc. areas not known primarily for art and culture.

I totally accord with the sentiment that we don't want Abruzzo spoilt by hoards of tourists but the alternative is that the area depopulates because there is no work and, as it depopulates, amenities will be lost because the economy can't support them. It must be possible to strike a happy medium.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:39:43 PM »
Granted that there are tourist hot spots in Italy, doing a 'tour' should include other areas like Abruzzo. If you do a direct comparison to the UK, I'd expect tourist to head for the capital, London, with sights such as Buckingham Palace , the Tower of London, museums and Galleries etc etc and perhaps Stratford on Avon but I'd expect any programme doing a tour to include Cornwall, the Lake District, the Cotswolds etc. areas not known primarily for art and culture

But not if it was fronted by Andrew Graham-Dixon who is the BBC ARTS correspondent.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
Granted that there are tourist hot spots in Italy, doing a 'tour' should include other areas like Abruzzo. If you do a direct comparison to the UK, I'd expect tourist to head for the capital, London, with sights such as Buckingham Palace , the Tower of London, museums and Galleries etc etc and perhaps Stratford on Avon but I'd expect any programme doing a tour to include Cornwall, the Lake District, the Cotswolds etc. areas not known primarily for art and culture

But not if it was fronted by Andrew Graham-Dixon who is the BBC ARTS correspondent.

I seem to remember he calls in on one or two places to show Giorgio Some artwork or other. He could take him to Casteli and see the chapel with the majolica tiled ceiling. Or he could show off the Capestrano warrior, or the gallery in Palazo di Mayo where apart from paintings and sculptures there is a magnificent display of silver wear. Maybe he could visit the house of Gabriele D'Anuncio (controversial poet) or go have a look at the breathtaking bone funeral masks at Alba Fucens or the 15 Century Frescos in the church of Santa Maria in Piano in Loretto Aprutino. Or the magnificent marble altar in the cathedral in Chieti. I don't know the names of the artists responsible for some of the stunning paintings in even the most humble churches here but he might as he's an art historian :)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »

I seem to remember he calls in on one or two places to show Giorgio Some artwork or other. He could take him to Casteli and see the chapel with the majolica tiled ceiling. Or he could show off the Capestrano warrior, or the gallery in Palazo di Mayo where apart from paintings and sculptures there is a magnificent display of silver wear. Maybe he could visit the house of Gabriele D'Anuncio (controversial poet) or go have a look at the breathtaking bone funeral masks at Alba Fucens or the 15 Century Frescos in the church of Santa Maria in Piano in Loretto Aprutino. Or the magnificent marble altar in the cathedral in Chieti. I don't know the names of the artists responsible for some of the stunning paintings in even the most humble churches here but he might as he's an art historian :)
[/quote]

The sad thing is that the people who say Abruzzo has nothing much in the way of art and culture have probably never seen any of this or even knew it existed. The fault could be down to lack of marketing or simple ignorance, my guess is a bit of both.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
Look what they are missing!

http://www.abruzzoturismo.it/img/depliant/en_ArteCultoeCultura.pdf

Admittedly there isn't much mention of paintings but if you visit some of the cathedrals -with a tour guide- they can tell you all about who painted what and when.

It's all there but you are right, it's not marketed and tourists who are here for a limited time don't have time to seek out these treasures. It's all got to be better publicised and better organised.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
And when they come and discover they can't get a cup of coffee between 12 and 4, or a decent meal till 8.30 at night, they won't be coming back in a hurry.  It needs a whole change of mindset.