Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2  (Read 7808 times)

Offline La Vigna

Italy unpacked programme on bbc2
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:43 PM »
Just watched first episode of new series following the duo up the east coast of Italy. This week Basilicata and Puglia. Moving north next week they say, Umbria and marche, what happened to Molise and Abruzzo I wonder?

Offline Caerus

Re: Italy unpacked programme on bbc2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:09:11 AM »
Abruzzo seems to be the forgotten land. I've looked at Italy travel books (three weeks ago) trying to find one that includes any part of Abruzzo. I've checked Lonely Planet, Fodors, Rick Steves (my favourite), Frommers, etc. None of them even mention Abruzzo.

I think because Abruzzo doesn't have any of the 'famous' cultural sites, museums or churches no one in the international travel industry seems to think it's going to make them any money.

I know there's been a lot of discussion here on how to increase the tourist traffic but until regional governments are willing to spend serious money on advertising internationally, Abruzzo will remain a tourist destination for mostly Italians. Unfortunately, with the state of the economy, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:12:15 AM by Caerus »

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
It infuriates me, the way Abruzzo is missed out of all these 'round Italy' tours. I have been told that the Abruzzo tourist board - yes really! - are discussing how to increase tourism with their counterparts in Tuscany and Le Marche, but I've heard this before and nothing changes.

We do have wonderful things for people to see, Campo Imperiatore, the Trabocci Coast, many cathedrals and ancient sites. LANCIANO has a huge number of pilgrims visiting from all over the world.

Mountains, sea, places of historic and scenic interest but no flipping marketing!!

Offline Cassius

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
Hard to comment until we see where and what they go/see in Umbria and Le Marche, but let's be honest, Matera and Alberobello are unique and very very special.  If they go to places such as Assisi and Ascoli Piceno, which again have lots of more obvious attractions, then they are going to go there.  This particular progamme doesn't really touch on natural beauty - if it did then there would be no excuse to miss the Abruzzo out.

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:58 PM »
Even the most devoted Abruzzo fan has to face up to the fact that it lacks the important artistic and cultural sites that other regions have in bucket loads. I know that not everyone here is interested in art or history and that 'lack' did not put them off moving to Abruzzo but these are the things that are very important to tourists.

We all know about the fabulous food and scenery but the vast majority of people who come to Italy want this AND wonderful art and culture. The programme is aiming to demonstrate the importance of  food and culture of Italy and the places they visit need to reflect this.

There are some lesser known gems and the hermitages in the mountains (that I feel Abruzzo overlooks when it comes to tourism) but in the main its the natural world that is Abruzzo's USP rather than art and culture. I'm sure if there are any future programmes about wildlife in Italy Abruzzo will certainly be on the list!
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
Even the most devoted Abruzzo fan has to face up to the fact that it lacks the important artistic and cultural sites that other regions have in bucket loads. I know that not everyone here is interested in art or history and that 'lack' did not put them off moving to Abruzzo but these are the things that are very important to tourists.

We all know about the fabulous food and scenery but the vast majority of people who come to Italy want this AND wonderful art and culture. The programme is aiming to demonstrate the importance of  food and culture of Italy and the places they visit need to reflect this.

There are some lesser known gems and the hermitages in the mountains (that I feel Abruzzo overlooks when it comes to tourism) but in the main its the natural world that is Abruzzo's USP rather than art and culture. I'm sure if there are any future programmes about wildlife in Italy Abruzzo will certainly be on the list!
i must dispute this statment there is lots of art culture     ect  but you  just  need to look a  bit  harder   , its not handed to  you on a plate as in other parts of italy a fult  of the turist board  in abruzzo  for sure  , but its   slowely getting better  A3

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »

Offline Cassius

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »

i must dispute this statment there is lots of art culture     ect  but you  just  need to look a  bit  harder   , its not handed to  you on a plate as in other parts of italy a fult  of the turist board  in abruzzo  for sure  , but its   slowely getting better  A3

NO there isn't art and culture to compete with other areas of Italy, there are lovely places but they are not in the same league.  Dolvevita is right in her analysis.   L'Aquila maybe could compete until the earthquake - Chieti looks wonderful but there are no good restaurants (to compare with towns such as Matera or Assisi).  The BBC is not employed by the Abruzzo tourist board so does not have any reason to show towns that simply cannot compete with more obvious ones in other areas of Italy - it and no other programme makers owe it to the Abruzzo.   Not handed to you on a plate says it all!  Why on earth should people have to look further when other areas have their offerings so much more easily available.  You have to remember that just because it is perfect for you it is not perfect for everyone.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
I'm going to use a US analogy so let's turn the tables shall we?  Hands up who's been to New York?  L.A.?  Lots I'm sure.  Now D.C, Boston, Chicago, Miami?  Probably a fair few of us.  Seattle, Charlottesville, Houston?  Get the picture?  There's nothing wrong with Abruzzo but it's not top of the list.  It attracts a different type of tourist.  Those who have a particular agenda or a particular connection or those who are already well travelled and are looking for something deliberately off the beaten track.  We don't have the Uffizi or the Colosseum or the Grand Canal or a Caravaggio or a Bramante.  It's not an obvious choice like Rome and Florence or N.Y. and L.A. are.  People do come, and more people will start to come, but we are not comparing apples with apples are we?   In a recent article which I quoted in a blog post, Abruzzo's tourism has been described as a 'Ferrari stuck in the garage'.  A good sound bite but doesn't really tell the whole story does it.  Certainly in my small corner of Abruzzo, our well intentioned DMC has little to show for 2 years of earnest chat and 140 committed members.  What is taking so long is totally lost on me I'm afraid.  I'm confident that we are moving in the right direction and we must all throw our own pebble against the wall in whatever way we can.  I'm mildly miffed by being missed out by the BBC but I'm not surprised.  P.S. I'm not sure I've ever been to Lincolnshire...
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Caerus

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abruzzo

I got this from the article above:

The proximity to Rome, the protected natural reserves and landscapes which award the region as the greenest in Europe, the presence of some of the most beautiful Italian villages, its rich and heterogeneous gastronomy along with a long history of deep-rooted local tradition and authentic Italian culture make Abruzzo rank fifth among the Italian regions by tourist arrivals after Calabria, Marche, Sardinia and Trentino. In 2010, arrivals totalled 6,381,067 Italian and 925,884 foreign.[40][size=0.75em]

According to this, more than 6 times as many Italian tourists visit Abruzzo as do foreign tourists. Of more interest is that apparently Abruzzo is the fifth ranking for tourists. I was surprised that Tuscany was not mentioned. I found this link:

http://www.italiangoodnews.com/?p=6899

It is a very recent article that states that Tuscany had over 43 million visitors in 2014 of which half were foreign visitors. That would indicate that Tuscany gets more than 20 times as many foreign visitors as Abruzzo and also gets 3 times as many domestic visitors.

Besides calling into question the statistics from both articles, as the ranking list doesn't match with the Tuscany article, it does drive home that Abruzzo has a LOT of room for tourism growth.

I do have to agree with Dolcevita a bit. Abruzzo is best known for its nature reserves and parks. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are beautiful natural areas all over the world. Where I live it's a 90 minute drive to the Rocky Mountains and Banff National Park. Flying to Italy from North America is 12 hours of flying and costs over $1000 per person. Most tourists would not put in this much effort and money to get to Italy and then not go for the big sites such as Venice, the Ufizzi and David in Florence, the tower in Piza and the Colliseum in Rome. It's only after seeing all these things and visiting enough times that we finally got to Abruzzo. We have fallen in love with the area and see the beauty but I know that if we had only visited Italy once or twice we never would have made it.[/size]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:50:04 PM by Caerus »

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
There is plenty of art and history here as well as fantastic natural arttractions but, chicken and egg, people don't come because they don't know what's here and they don't know what's here because not enough people come.

There is a fresco of the last supper in Casteli, where the person next to Jesus is undoubtedly a woman. If Dan Brown had written about this one in his book the Da Vinci Code (spit, spit) we would have been inundated.

However, I do agree that if you are coming to Italy, you are going to hit the hot spots first. Personally I was disappointed by Florence, not because of the art or architecture but because of the hoard of loud mouthed tourists and the fact that everyone spoke American!

Getting back to the TV programme, I understand that the BBC owes nothing to Abruzzo but it is Italy Unpacked and what's the point of unpacking all the same old places? Time for a programme that goes off the beaten track and shows people what is not in every guide book.

Offline Caerus

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »
There is plenty of art and history here as well as fantastic natural arttractions but, chicken and egg, people don't come because they don't know what's here and they don't know what's here because not enough people come.

There is a fresco of the last supper in Casteli, where the person next to Jesus is undoubtedly a woman. If Dan Brown had written about this one in his book the Da Vinci Code (spit, spit) we would have been inundated.

However, I do agree that if you are coming to Italy, you are going to hit the hot spots first. Personally I was disappointed by Florence, not because of the art or architecture but because of the hoard of loud mouthed tourists and the fact that everyone spoke American!

Getting back to the TV programme, I understand that the BBC owes nothing to Abruzzo but it is Italy Unpacked and what's the point of unpacking all the same old places? Time for a programme that goes off the beaten track and shows people what is not in every guide book.

That's the problem with all the tourist areas. All the tourists. ;D

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »

[/quote]

This was what I thought too, the programme describes itself as exploring the East Coast of Italy, so to miss a good portion out seemed odd to me and I didn't think Umbria was on the coast so the description was misleading.

There are only 3 episodes in this series so they can't show everything and I can only assume they have never been as it is based on their personal knowledge of food and history. Shame for them. Perhaps we should invite them!

You never know, maybe they will give a passing mention of the regions existence next week after all.

Agent Orange

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
  " That's the problem with all the tourist areas. All the tourists. "

Reading this thread it seems to me that very few contributors have ever lived in a " tourist " area. Cursed every summer by Grockles and Rubbernecks. Trapped at home by a family of idiots who have parked their Mondeo across your driveway and are sitting on the beach with their ice creams, string vests and knotted hankies on head.
Abruzzo is OK as it is, may we never suffer the scourge of mass tourism.

My personal view, please don't upset yourselves.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
The only "natural resources" Italy has are its history, its beaches, its weather, its architecture, its beauty, its relics....need I go on?  Unfortunately those in power don't have the sense to exploit its natural resources.